1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum since "pull the trigger", "bullets", and other such violent phrases should not be used in the NBA realm, how do we refer to shooters?

BigggReddd, Os Trigonum and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Paraballers.

Just take out all the metaphors from calling the game.

"Wow, look at the skill of Jalen Green. He just flicked his fingers to arc his ball into the hole. What a fantastic parabolic toss from that young man."

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its not normal to assume someones father shot someone to death. He just made a reference to shooting the ball since a lot of players were named Porter. Get over it this is mans life and job

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Ps nobody cares for Kevin Porter Jr history especialy Washington announcers can we stop acting like this kid is important and a star? He mistaken some young cat for being a son od guy named literally the same. We are worst team in the league and KPJ is one of our worst players do you expect announcers to know Wikipedia Pages of everyone in the NBA?

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

/argument. That's exactly what the Wizards commentator did. Assumed without evidence to the contrary.

If you're given two names and characteristics about them, it's an easy logical assumption. Both Bullets Porter and Rockets Porter Jr. are black, play professional basketball, have identical names and one just happens to have "Jr." The ages are also far enough apart to believe that they can be father and son.

It wouldn't be an incorrect assumption that they're related until proven otherwise.

People be mad just to be mad fr fr.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's a young player with potential and a member of the team you're rooting for / of which this forum revolves around, until he's not.

"Let's not care about this issue because he's irrelevant and he sucks and we suck. Go Rockets!" That's what you sound like.

What a weird take.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

It's not that weird. Obviously we are gonna care about it more but you have to look at it in the context of the league. The Rox are a bottom feeder right now and while he may have promise KPJ has on the whole not been good and has been a starter for roughly half an NBA season worth of games. Whether we like it or not most NBA fans and even opposing teams broadcast crews are not aware of the history of our players and its naive to expect they would be.

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Perhaps we should stop using the word "shoot" when we talking about shooting the ball, you know, for its firearm association. How about launch the ball? How about "throw the ball into the basketball ring"?

9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Still not good enough. He's not good enough. What do you mean? It's his literal job to know people names and aliases and hobbies. You starting to sound like a hater like him. ASSUMPTIONS make an ass out of people. In this it's not an ass out of u and me. Just you and him. If he was so enthralled with the former baller he would know that was not his son. It's no secret in the NBa about Kpj man. Don't be silly.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Shooting is fine. White guys can do it too, but only pulling the trigger is for the black youth apparently. There were numerous way he could have said the same thing not so specific. He better do a "BANG!" lol

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why would I look at it from the context of the league? I'm talking about this thread, which is about a player who's playing for the team this entire forum revolves around. Obviously, if this thread was in the NBA Dish and it was about another player on another team, it wouldn't really gain traction here. But this subforum is about topics pertaining to the Rockets. I agree that, if we're talking about the league as a whole, this particular topic is only newsworthy because LeBron decided to pipe up about it.

However, in a forum about the Rockets, a poster saying we shouldn't care about a particular player on this team just because he's "unimportant" and "not a star" is just a bad view of things.

Not saying everyone should immediately drop what they're doing and rally around KPJ or anything, but we shouldn't disqualify this issue just because it's KPJ and not like, Sengun or Green.

12. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He literally dropped a 50 piece last season. Still not good enough. Team do research on all prospects 1st and second round. should know KPj like he's some star vet? NO! I'm not saying that like you guys are. He at the very least has heard of him and knew he wasn't the same lineage. KPj's real first name is Bryan my guy its not even Kevin.

13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Sure whatever you say man. It's not micromanaging because it could have easily been avoided. A weird time to make a bad assumption.

14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Racist people do it all the time. That's why they are racist. They don't have the brain capacity to comprehend right from wrong. Maybe he's not racist but he definitely has no class. Who said he was risking his career? He seems to be doing just fine. It was said though....you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Mistake or not.

15. BonziWellsGOAT

Can't say launch. Association with missiles, torpedoes, trebuchets, etc. Very violent connotation. Too problematic

harold bingo likes this.
  16. BonziWellsGOAT

Lmao bro. The dudes racist now? Hop off the clown car pal.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Firstly the NBA isn't a family law firm, your analogy is terrible. Also it's not like Kevin Porter Sr was there at the game or something, so you wouldn't run into them in the same building.

I think it's easy for any casual to make the assumption that KPJ is the the Bullet's player's son, but the official team announcer isn't some casual fan talking at a bar. I think he is just a lazy announcer who is lazy at his job to just spout random assumptions like that so confidently on air. It's literally the color commentator's job to research these fun facts before games, and then work these into the commentary live. Who just goes and spouts random shet without research.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

"Kevin Porter Jr's. dad was convicted of manslaughter for shooting someone? I need to joke about it during a game. There just happens to be an unrelated Kevin Porter that played for our team? Great, so if anyone calls me an ******* I'll just lie and say I thought KPJ was his son."

If this announcer was just looking to make the most offensive on-air reference possible in regards to KPJ, I almost have to give him props for doing it in a situation with such plausible deniability.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Thats not what i wrote. I wrote that he is given too much attention time and time after… this thread proves it. Announcer did a small mistake and now its s discussion with LeBron trying to get him fired i care more about this announcer than young millionaire that gets his feeling hurt over everything

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Oh dear, imagine making such a silly mistake as to think suggested synonyms mean the exact same thing.

logic
    /ˈlɒdʒɪk/
    1. 1.
      reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
      "experience is a better guide to this than deductive logic"

Similar:
      science of reasoning
      science of deduction
      science of thought
      dialectics

argumentation

ratiocination

Definitions from Oxford Languages