1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I haven’t been following this story very closely. But, now that I have had a chance to read all the details, I think this is much ado about nothing. The announcer made an assumption that was incorrect. Embarrassing for sure, but I think that is as far as it goes.

I think because there was a former Washington player named Kevin Porter, the announcer deserves the benefit of the doubt. The announcer is the only one who knows what was going through his mind when he made the remark. He has apologized and said he mistakenly thought KPJ was related to the former Washington player.

No one is perfect, the announcer made a mistake. Not that big of a deal.

The Beard, Zen Tabak, bmelo and 4 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bill Worrell made this exact same mistake about Isiah Thomas. So for all of you dumbasses saying 'how can this happen", easily, very easily.

Local old PBP guys are usually a lot closer to Ron Burgandy than Walter Cronkite.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. They pull more obscure references to long forgotten players than we all would like. Hell, sometimes I have to remind myself that the 90s happened almost 30 years ago. I don't think Consor meant anything malicious with his comment...just another example of a 70-something guy in broadcast not having that great of a memory anymore.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know the history with his dad. The commentator should have done more research and known he wasn't the Bullets player's son, but I don't believe there was malicious intent there.

Zen Tabak and Kevooooo like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Kevin Porter spent a lot of last year in the G-League and only played 26 games in the NBA last year and 23 games this year. Further he has largely sucked, the fact he starts for a terrible team doesn't mean much.

The Beard and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The logic is that when there are two people with the same name and one of them is called Junior, it makes sense to believe he is the son of the other person. That is what I thought. Obviously that is not always the case, more than one person can have the exact same name, but it isn't a crazy thing to believe, especially when they are both in the same industry (it is not uncommon to follow your parents' footsteps). What point did you think I was trying to make?

BonziWellsGOAT and harold bingo like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I don't think you understand how logic works, that is not logical at all. Just because person A is the son of person B who are both basketball players, it does not follow that person C is the son of person D just because they are both basketball players. It's like assuming Michael B Jordan is the son of Michael Jordan because they've both been in movies and have the same name. It's nonsense. The fact you think it "makes sense to believe" does not make it logical, it just makes your train of thought illogical.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Dobbizzle discovered what “logical” means two weeks ago and hasn’t shut up since

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The logic is in naming conventions. It is more likely to believe Kevin Porter, Jr. is the son of someone named Kevin Porter, because that is how names work. That is the logic. It is bolstered by being in the same industry. If I meet a lawyer, then later meet another lawyer in the same courthouse that is named the same name but Jr., I assume without evidence to the contrary that he is the son of the older lawyer. It isn't a guarantee, but it is perfectly logical, or perhaps a better term would be reasonable. You are acting like that is a crazy thing to think. Like you can't imagine why someone would think an NBA player named Kevin Porter, Jr. is the son of another NBA player named Kevin Porter, with no other information known to them. Also, Michael Jordan was a basketball player that happened to be put in movies because he was a famous basketball player. Michael B. Jordan is an actor that has nothing to do with basketball, so far as I know. He is also not called Michael Jordan, Jr. Terrible analogy.

The list of other players was a sincere question about whether they were in fact the sons of former NBA players of the same name, as I had previously assumed.

#249 StupidMoniker, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    BonziWellsGOAT and harold bingo like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Who the **** are you again? I mean, apart from some random who tried to be clever and failed, obviously.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Again, that's really not logic at all. Reasonable, maybe, logical? Not even remotely.

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Pretty sure Lebron is trying to pouch KPJ to the Lakers at this point lol

Does anyone know the story of his dad and the 1st degree murder charge he had against a 14yr old girl. He did 4 years in prison for it but can’t find details.

JumpMan likes this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

upload_2022-1-7_10-21-55.png

BigggReddd, Zen Tabak, NewAge and 6 others like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

apparently the witness changed her statement and he was only convicted of manslaughter so he got 4 years. Originally the sole witness said Porter Sr shot the girl on purpose, but later changed her statement and said the gun discharged by accident.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wait... what?

16. MystikArkitect

"Pulled the trigger at the right time." This guy is unbelievably lucky that there was a Kevin Porter that played for the Bullets. I highly highly doubt that he meant this as an allusion to a player from the 70s who wasn't even known for being a shooter. The use of the word trigger...man. I don't believe the guy but he is so damn lucky there was a Kevin Porter that played for the Bullets.

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It's like you're conveniently ignoring the "Jr" part. That is what would make someone think they are related lol. If Michael B Jordan went by Michael Jordan Jr, then sure your comparison works

18. BonziWellsGOAT

It's actually very easy logic to follow. The NBA is a small club and the fact that two people have the same name and one is a junior there is a decent bet their father played in some professional capacity at least. Most players don't even go by junior if their father wasn't played in the league. It's painfully simple logic to follow.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

Lmaooooo he doesn't realize that the B is there specifically so ppl know he isn't the Michael Jordan or related to him

Zen Tabak likes this.
  20. BonziWellsGOAT

Why is everyone acting like "pull the trigger" is some rare phrase uses by broadcasters?? It's used all the time, it's one of the most ubiquitous calls in the sport. The guy wasn't lucky there was a Kevin Porter, the only reason he made the reference is BECAUSE there was a Kevin Porter that played in Washington. Saying the guy wasn't a shooter means nothing. I've heard ppl reference KJ playing like his dad after hitting 3s. You guys are jumping through hoops to believe a ridiculous story

harold bingo and Zen Tabak like this.