1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Without Roy Don’t scratch Portland off the Playoff race yet.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gah, Dec 31, 2010.

1. gah

gah Member

No other team has as much in common with us when it comes to seeing your championship aspirations wither away without a chance to go for it, we're both in the same boat right now.

My first impulse was predicting the lottery for them but that team is arguably just as good as we are. Tonight they beat Utah by a comfortable margin and are looking to be quite a challenge for us. Currently and most surprisingly, they have gone for7W-3L without Roy, which means they have a better record without him than when he has played.

We better not sleep on them in our upcoming games against them.

2. ThaShark316_28

I think that's the "we hot right now" start w/o Roy.

4 of the next 5:

HOU x2
    DAL
    MIA

3. gah

gah Member

That's a good observation, maybe they'll go flat after a while. For now they'll have an easier schedule than us until March, when they’ll have a taste of what is waiting for us in January. If they are still hanging around by that time, we should look to win the race in those last couple of months (If we’re still around). The chances of us both making the playoffs is not that bad either.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Too early. Remember when everyone was hopping up and down on the Hornets' dick when they went like 10-1 to start the season? Yeah... look at them now.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

They might make the playoffs (though I really doubt it), but thats because the bottom of the Western Conference has grown extremely weak.

Maybe the East has finally caught up.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Their lack of a closer has already bitten them several games this season. Even with the 4th quarter scoring droughts, they could make the playoffs.

But there are rumors the team will be blown up before the trade deadline. We'll see. As presently constructed, the current Blazers squad doesn't have much of a future. IMO, they should get what they can for Camby, Miller and Rudy and build around LA, Matthews & Batum going forward. They should look for a younger C & PG and draft picks in return.

They also will be looking for a new coach next summer if Nate McMillan decides to leave.

7. QPower

QPower Member

I think we should go after Camby if Portland indeed blows it up before the deadline.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

but some people in the GARM would say:

why get to the 8th seed, and being eliminated in the first round, while you can tank and get better in the draft? :rolleyes:

do you think the blazers fans think that way too?

that statement is so bad, I dont like it at all!

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He definitely won't object to coming here. Probably his #1 preferred destination if they trade him. What value would the Rockets give back that would make the Blazers trade Camby here vs. anywhere else? AB? Would you do that trade?

10. gah

gah Member

You might have predicted their next moves there, it's a very reasonable path, especially if they lose more hope on Roy in the coming days.

11. QPower

QPower Member

AB? Depends.

Do we get back another PG in return?

AB is the only one on our team that can really create for himself. I don't think I could stomach losing Brooks.

Hill, Jeffries and possibly Budinger should be enough IMO for Camby

Lowry/Brooks
    Martin/Lee
    Battier/Williams
    Scola/Patterson
    Camby/Hayes/Miller

Still leaves you with Yao's expired contract, Brooks, and couple other pieces to make a deal for a 1st or 2nd tier player.

12. gah

gah Member

I've probably said this like 4 times, but I really don't like Camby for us at all. For me he is too old and overrated, if we already had a championship contending squad then good, but not in our situation since he wouldn't come cheap and we are better off looking for a Center for the future.

13. QPower

QPower Member

While old, Camby fills a desperate need for us.

I still don't think we are tanking and Morey is trying to win now.

Plus it is rumored that the Blazers are gonna trade all of their vets like Camby and Miller and Camby would instantly retire if he were traded to a lottery team or even some contending teams. The only one he is rumored to prefer is Houston since his family lives here.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Probably quite a few actually..

15. gah

gah Member

Don't get me wrong, I am very opposed to the tanking front, but at the same time I'd like us to go after a player who can keep our worries for the next 3-5 years.

What if all we can get is Camby? Then of course, if it didn't take much.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

the sixers are in 8th in the east and 6 games under .500, with Indiana 4 games under .500 in 7th place...... and the east has caught up?

really?

the best is getting better in both conferences, but clearly the drop off in the east is terrible and the west has some more depth

17. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

damn. trust utah jazz to lose 2 games to the blazers when we're fighting them for the 8th spot. if theres a reason the jazz would lose games, u can believe its to keep us down :mad:

18. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

not necessarily a bad thing. just means we'll have an easier time catching up to utah once we're looking past portland.

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i like your optimism, but im the kind to take things one step at a time :)
    what with the rough schedule coming up.

20. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i think they'll make it.
    without roy, they are still deadly.

W.Matthews was a awesome pick up for them.
    Camby can hold the paint still with Priz
    Batum will see an increase in mins+points
    Frenandez plays well off the ball and will get more time
    Miller has better chemistry with everyone else not named roy.
    They got size and youth. All in All they were in the same situtation we were in with Yao. Shutting down Roy was a smart decision, he was holding everyone back.