1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the trade deadline officially passed, Daryl Morey shifts his focus to the buyout market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As much as I'm railing against Tilman, I actually don't think the Rockets are worse after this deadline. Covington is the perfect fit for this team, and Bruno might actually do some nice things for us in limited minutes. Where I have an issue is Tilman CLEARLY hindering Morey's ability to find good deals by continuously forcing him to operate within the margins, and taking from one pot to enrichen the other (trading for Russ but then not re-signing Shump so he could be a trade asset, trading for RoCo but then not be willing to go over the LT for a better upgrade at C, attaching FRPs to Knight and Chriss so we could dump salary instead of using their contracts as a way to acquire more talent, etc). The man has shown time and time again that he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room because he can figure out how to compete for titles without spending money.

WIth that being said, I love the Covington acquisition and hope there's something on the buyout market that can help us not get manhandled by the Lakers.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah dude but we would have had more/ better players. We went to game 7 vs the warriors , every ounce mattered .

3. HP3

HP3 Member

If we had gone into the tax last season, wed be champions right now. Jamychal Green and Garret Temple would swing that Warrior series for us. In addition to that. I dont want to end up losing another series where we just needed "a little" more. We have a generational talent in James Harden, if dude was too broke to buy a team.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Yes, there are unused TPE's... but you sound like you want them to make a deal just to make a deal. Look, TPE's are available IF an opportunity arises. You have them if you need them. But if there is no deal that makes sense, well then they just go unused.

Same with the MLE. MLE is available for anything that arises throughout the season. This has been Morey's m.o. for a long time, and it's how he's gotten several good buyout players over the years. He held onto some of the MLE while other teams didn't, and it helped him sign buyout players. That could also come in handy this year.

Nobody wants to unnecessarily pay the tax. Any rational person would avoid it if they could, unless there is a really good deal to be made that would make it worth it. Les Alexander operated the same exact way, and all y'all loved him.

Tilman is not paying for all of this out of his own wallet. He owns the organization. The money generated by the organization is what pays for the roster. It's the organization itself that either can or can't afford something. Large market teams can spend more than small market teams not because they have richer owners, but because their teams generate more revenue to be able to spend on players.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, any GM is gonna be perpetually handcuffed. This is the reality of Rockets basketball....for a long time.

vick likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is just stupid. When the **** has mediocrity meant having a 50+ projected win season and most likely getting to at least the 2nd round?

BigShasta likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Really? The only good buy out candidate we've had for awhile is Gerald Green, was there someone else?

vick likes this.
  8. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Rivers, Faried

9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Rivers, Manimal, JSmoove all come to mind (actually not even sure if GGreen was a buyout guy himself)

10. bmd

bmd Member

Morey thought that trade for Green and Temple was lined up but the Clippers swooped in and offered a better deal.

The Rockets were going to make that trade. There 's nothing you can do to force Memphis to take your deal instead of the Clippers deal.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Uhh, we've had a lot. Rivers, Green, Faried, Carmelo was a buyout even though he didn't work out, Josh Smith, just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing others.

HP3 likes this.
  12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Unless the Thunder and Pistons demanded a first-round pick or else, there’s no excuse for the Rockets not absorbing someone like Nerlens Noel or Markieff Morris into one of their numerous trade exceptions. They could have acquired both and still remained under the luxury tax threshold.

Now, I’m hoping the Hornets buy out Marvin Williams, and he chooses the Rockets over other contenders.

#112 DVauthrin, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i didn't love les either. but les was not on the hyper extreme level tilbitch is on, did you miss the part about every single trade transaction being some form of a salary dump the past 2 years? or the fact that we are $6M under the taxline? les wasn't using every FRP to save money either. your posts here typically contribute nicely, but in this case it is impossible to defend this POS. from the depleted ultra cheapo coaching staff to literally handicapping the front office at every turn, tilfuk has gone all in to prevent this team's success

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Feels like Houston is about to enter a five year stretch where none of the three teams have any significant draft picks.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we are either a contending team or we aren't. you think we are contenders? do we have the flexibility to take the next step or are we locked in with big contracts and no assets? I'm not rooting for a playoff exit. i'm rooting for a championship. better than average is not good enough. we need to be elite.

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

How could you forget Joe Johnson 2 years ago, lol

buffalobills!!! and joshuaao like this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Obviously not, but if Tilman was not relying on the income generated by the Rockets to line his pockets further, he could pivot and be more willing to spend on talent acquisition. Look at the Clippers under Balmer vs. under Sterling. Under Sterling, that team was penny pinching like crazy because every single transaction was looked over with a microscope. In 2016, I believe they had an operating income of something like $21M while generating revenue of over $176M. Balmer took that $150M and put it back into the team in terms of scouting, facilities, coaching, training, and of course....players. He did that instead of keeping the profits for himself. Tilman, OTOH, has cut costs across the board, reduced the number of scouts we have, capped Morey's budget on his own departmental talent (I have that on pretty good authority), and ensured that every move we make is met with an equal move that reduces our payroll, and gets us further from the tax.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You ARE Tilman !

19. Nook

Nook Member

They all are waiting for their break at Rainforest Cafe to post.

20. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not saying people can't criticize Tilman and he's done no wrong. I'm saying he's being unfairly criticized and blamed for everything. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of people just don't like his personality and use him as a scapegoat.

I'm saying people throw rationality out of the window because it's easy to just blame the new, brash owner.