1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the trade deadline officially passed, Daryl Morey shifts his focus to the buyout market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 6, 2020.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

no buyout for TT

2. amaru

amaru Member

We meltdown if the opponent starts the game on a 8-0 run lol

Nook, snowconeman22 and kingkingston like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I hear ya... I would just expect there to be some kind of backup plan regarding a center... some under the radar big that MDA would be comfortable with that could be had for a 2nd or something... just to have the option...

MrSabotage likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just my guess but i doubt it, the Knicks are tanking, but Harkless is still relatively young, they might have some interest in resign him (to either keep him or trade him inthe future) so, unless they have a reason to do a favour to the player and his agent, i don't see it. Oh, and he's from NY.

malakas likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Haha, dumpster Dwight. That's golden.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I'll give it a shot.

He's a crass asshat--a crasshat if you will--who looks at the Rockets as a basic commodity instead of a community asset, doesn't value expertise and skill, believes he is the smartest guy in the room because he had success in one area, is cheap on the margins because that's how you get rich in food, inserts his failsons into areas where they have no understanding, and is more concerned with buttressing his self-absorbed image as a tough titan of wealth than winning basketball. He's also a guy who talks into a mic for a couple of hours, has someone else write it up and make it look good, then calls himself an author.

He originally got the benefit of the doubt, but at this point, the burden of proof is on him to show he's not the owner we think he is. This is even more evident because we have a long history with Morey deals and recently, the Rockets are making deals that seem very anti-Moreyish.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope we win a title this year, but hope is not a strategy or a decent frontcourt player.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Will he come for the vet min? If not, I don't want him. Gotta save money!

houston19519 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say it's unfair to judge this team.

Capela and Westbrook were not working well together. Covington does solve for one of the biggest weaknesses this team has had. Capela was not nearly as effective as he was 2 years ago. Rockets have not been utilizing the PnR with Capela as much as demonstrated by his lower scoring numbers. He offered some rim protection and obviously rebounding will be missed. But the Rockets being 11-1 when he doesn't play is eye-opening.

This trade is an upgrade at a team level even if not from a pure talent level. Covington is such a better fit than Capela right now. Heck you got Jordan Bell thrown in and maybe something can be salvaged from him.

These are not the 2018 Rockets, but then again, the Lakers are not the 2018 Warriors either.

Nook, RayRay10 and TheJet like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

How bout dont own a pro sports team if u are too cheap to pay the cost to win. If u have to pilfer draft picks/assets to stay solvent u arent rich enough to own. Not my money but the fans have a right to call bullsh#t

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Bell got traded for bruno from Grizzlies

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

If we paid the tax last season like people wanted to, and also pay it this season, we'd only have one more season before we pay the repeater. And it's not just the repeater. Each season the luxury tax percentage goes up on every dollar over a team is.

You also have less money to spend in free agency exceptions when you are in the tax.

Also, remember when the Rockets didn't sign Ariza? People wanted us to go into the tax back then too. That would have made this season the THIRD year of being in the tax if they signed Ariza. Which means next season, the Rockets would be paying the repeater. But more than that, signing Ariza to that $18 million dollar contract would have cost the Rockets something like $50 million. There is no way any team would spend $50 million on Trevor Ariza.

I don't even know all the ins and outs of the cap... but there are smarter people that do, and they can tell you all of the legitimate reasons a team would not want to go into the tax unless they absolutely have to.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

delete post

#92 Aruba77, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

very true

amaru likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not unfair to judge the owner though

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will also add:
    Why can't we get Marcus Morris and RoCo if we indeed are all-in - meaning no salary dumping.

Yes, there are deals to be made to make this team better, but salary dumping was a chief objective so we got less than what we gave up. Blaming though is not the right word. Resentful is.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) ariza left as a free agent 2 summers ago. if we had signed him, this might be our 2nd season in the tax, not the 3rd.
    2) we are $6M below taxline. with a basket full of unused TPE's and for the 2nd consecutive year, unused MLE
    3) if this motherphuker doesn't want to pay the tax during harden's prime, he is never ever ever ever going to pay it
    4) why does this motherphuker keep publicly repeating every year that he has no problem paying the tax, and then move mountains to avoid it?
    5) sell the team if you can't afford it, it's that simple

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Simply put...it’s hard to give a damn about this team if they don’t want to win. I know Morey does, but the owner has made it clear he doesn’t.

Hope Morey goes somewhere he can utilize his value to fullest. He deserves a ring and an owner who lets him do his job. Harden too. Hope he gets a ring elsewhere too, because it ain’t happening in Houston with this owner who has no interest in competing.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

19. macan

macan Member

so Clippers got IT and Morris without losing any major pieces?
    can we trade both our owner and gm with Clippers plz

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. We traded Bell for the Big D Brazillian. That guy has a 7'7 wing span.