1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the NBA draft, the Houston Rockets select...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zainahsan93, Apr 14, 2011.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

While that is true, you won't find many people here spreading the blame when things don't go their way. At the end of the day Morey/Les is the captain of the ship and signs off on the dotted line. It is inevitable that he gets the credit/blame. The only thing we can hope for is that he gets judged fairly.

#161 CXbby, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Joey Dorsey was also in Morey's tier. Just sayin...

3. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

Upgrade over Lee and Dragic

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well it was a rather stupid post on your part if your intention was to demonstrate that Adelman made the pick.

I'm not going to debate the semantics of "Morey's move" with you. Waste of freaking time.

The Rockets picked Brooks because they thought he'd fit in well with Adelman's style. Dean Cooper talked at length about what he liked in Brooks and why the Rockets picked him after the draft. And Adelman was familiar with Brooks because he lived in Oregon and he was high on what he could do in his system. That's what was reported. This "Adelman picked Brooks" stuff is extrapolation. If that's what people want to think went down, I don't care. Just don't tell me that's what was reported, because it wasn't.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

My point was to demonstrate that it wasn't Morey's move and that Adelman had influence over the pick. And from all the info out there, this influence was more than the usual consultations.

Then don't. I've already said what I needed to say.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So teams should just ignore their scouting reports and just draft by physical stats alone? The Rockets had Dorsey graded higher than Jordan (and understandably should be criticized for it). I can hear the Rockets war room now, "Hey our guy is still available, let's get him....Morey: No, this other guy has a longer wingspan (nevermind the fact he graded lower than our guy), let's draft him instead."

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm not so sure Deandre is all that better than Joey. Just because he collects garbage playing off Griffin doesn't make him a player. Remember, we're talking about the Clips here.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Please Kwame, with all of your extensive knowledge and experiences working with NBA GM's and Daryl Morey in particular tell us all what you know of the usual consultations. :rolleyes:

Your and idiot.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Vesely is not a big. He's long perimeter athletic SF, something like more athletic and worse shooting version of Austin Daye

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Singleton really came on strong this year; his midseason injury probably forced him to fall ten spots in the draft by not being able to showcase himself better. All in all I think he's better than Leonard and Hamilton. The problem is that, Texas has a strong STRONG record for churning out decent to great NBA players that may not necessarily have looked the part during their college tenure but certainly were highly regarded in high school.

Why is this? Two words, Rick Barnes. So I wouldn't sell Hamilton short just yet; people say his game is better suited for the more open style of the NBA and maybe they're right. If we go SF in the draft, Singleton would be my #1. He seems to be longer, stronger, faster. But if the organization picks Hamilton over him, then I will know exactly the reason why and I'll be behind it 100%.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

For the most part need is irrelevant until we get a superstar.

However, a superstar might be less willing to sign with a team that has gaping needs.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If T-Wolves get the first pick in the NBA Draft and take Kyrie Irving then I would be open to trading pour pick for Ricky Rubio.

Morey was really high on him. But it would probably involve trading Kyle, who could probably net us some pretty good talent in return.

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Please stop drafting solid role players and take a gamble. Jimmer Fredette to H-Town!

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Jimmer is a more athletic and stronger version of Jj Redick and he plays point guard while Redick plays the 2 and surviving in the NBA still.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dude, I just feel sorry for you at this point.

News flash: almost every single move a professional sports general manager makes is based on input from other individuals. That's right. Morey (just like any other general manager) has probably never made a move without SOME consultation with others. Moreover, I'll bet a decent percentage of ideas come from people other than Morey. But it's Morey's JOB to make the decision. He weighs the information given to him and then decides whether HE thinks it is a positive move for the organization.

If Adelman (or Dean Cooper or anyone else) came to Morey with the idea of drafting an Aaron Brooks, Morey will factor that into his decision. In that case, he factored it in very heavily, apparently. But if Morey didn't agree with the move, he just as easily could have said "no" and drafted someone else or even have traded the pick. Morey went on record when defending the pick (I myself was among the many who hated the pick at the time) that a major factor for the pick was that the league rules were trending towards valuing elite speed over otherwise inadequate size.

Kwame, I readily acknowledge that, when I refer to a "Morey move," I am not talking about a move whose inception was necessarily from Morey's mind. Maybe that is the disconnect between us (and apparently between you and many others). But for you to single out this move, or any other, as somehow being fundamentally different from any other move over which Daryl Morey has final say is just downright incorrect.

I might be labeled a "Morey homer" for consistently defending him (although, again, I hated his 2007 draft at the time, for what it's worth), you seem to be a "Morey hater" in a much more objective sense. Sure, all the credit shouldn't go to Morey for making a good draft pick. Maybe Rick deserves much of the credit. But it was still Morey's decision to make, and he made it.

Now, go back to telling us all how horrible Rockets management is and how you could obviously do much better.

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

If you want to take a gamble then you want to draft one of these young international centers, and not Jimmer who will be a good shooter in the NBA but nothing more.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The namesake to the 2001 1st overall bust is like Jerome Solomon, argues frivolous semantics just so he can feel he has relevance in the public's eye.

18. carib

carib Member

Jimmer Fredette name keeps coming up in this thread. How about we talk about people who you think realistically will available at the 14th pick.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

?
    Fredette will realistically be availble with the 15th pick.

Morris twins, Hamilton, Tristan Thompson, Klay Thompson, and Singleton are the guys to look at. Fredette probably goes after most of these guys.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have to fill two needs IMO. SF and C. We really need to bite the bullet and get into the top 5 here to get something to start building around. Kanter or Derrick Williams may not be superstars down the road but you can build around them. I love Kevin Martin and I hate the recent events but I will trust in the org to do the right thing. But even if it takes Martin+14 and something else I would really push to accomplish that, even with a hefty price tag.

If we stay at #14 Montiejunas if he falls (home run swing) or Jordan Hamilton.