1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 26, 2012.

?

The Houston Rockets Select..

1. Terrence Ross

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Meyers Leonard

46 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Terrence Jones

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. John Henson

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Austin Rivers

121 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. Dimian Lillard

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Arnett Moultrie

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Moe Harkless

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Royce White

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Others

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah i didn't see Jeremy Lamb on that list. He'd probably be my top pick.

But one thing i can't figure out is why so many people on this board want to draft a 6'3" SG named Austin Riviers. What's the deal with that? He is not NBA ready and is probably not as talented as half the players in the poll, so what gives? People keep talking about undersized PFs, well, how bout undersized SGs? This board is nuts.

2. rockets06

rockets06 Member

If we do keep both picks that's exactly what I'd do is go big then small with C Meyers Leonard then SG Terrence Jones!! But Houston don't have a 2nd rd pick & there's no need to get one to end up with four rookies along with Motiejunas coming over!!

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This post took me back to the 90's and those Shania Twain albums with those exclamation-point songs, such as (thank you, wikipedia): "Up!", "Nah!", "(Wanna Get to Know You) That Good!", "Ka-Ching!", "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!", "Whatever You Do! Don't!", "If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!", "Rock This Country!"

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The end of this season should have shown that we need a post player.

Scola is on the down turn of his professional career and no one else on the team, Camby maybe but since starting he has been hurt, showed the ability to consistently score in the post. Our team was at its strongest when we had talent (Yao, later Scola and Landry) that could put their backs to the basket and not wind up having to pass it back out or throw up a high arc shot and hope it goes in.

Don't pay atttention to college basketball enough to know if such a player will be around where we select but if we had someone like that as either a backup PF or C, we'd be in much better shape then we turned up this season where outside of Scola we just a jump shooting team.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Camby is not a post up player. He is a post up defender and a spot up jump shooter at the top.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just hope we can trade up.

If we don't' trade up I'll be so angry and frustrated that I'm going to punch a fire extinguisher!

7. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Sorry, it's a habit!! lol :grin:

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why would anyone want Austin Rivers???? Can't believe so many people voted for him.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Probably big fans of water.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

more than half of the people who vote don't even know these guys

so they youtube them and look! Austin Rivers is really flashy and fancy, I'll vote for him, plus he's Doc Rivers son..

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

name recognition.

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

To sell tickets.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am willing to bet a decent big man from the draft will sell tickets too.

14. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

You'll be able to sell a few tickets until the novelty wears off and the Rockets are in the same exact position that they are currently in, next year. Rivers has talent, but he doesn't give you anything on the defensive side of the ball. He can shoot and create shots for himself, but he hasn't done anything to prove that he can create for others. If you are looking for a player like that, we have one and his name is Kevin Martin.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

We should go for Melo. Fab Melo. His name would reminds me of a certain superstar that plays in NY. You all know who I'm talking about.... Dan Gadzuric

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Like you would get a player who's a lot more talented than Rivers with a mid round pick. These are rookies. Most of their games are still flawed of course. If you could tell a mid round pick's future this early then you should be a NBA scout rather than being a regular forumer on CF.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fabulous Melo or CaramelO

18. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

It's simply an opinion based on what I've observed. You don't have to agree with it. I have seen Rivers play in person and have watched him play live as I have a sibling that went to Duke. I've said before that I think he is a talented player but he has his fair share of faults, but I don't see how his skill-set really helps the Rockets. I'm not saying I can easily project a player's future, but I've been around the game long enough to formulate my own opinions on players.

Personally, I like Tony Wroten at the the 14th or 16th spots and I've already stated my reasons which include the following:

1) More size (6'6") and more athletic
    2) Court Vision and excellent passing skills to properly play both the PG/SG positions (Combo Guard). Solid Fundamentals and is left-handed
    3) Actually Plays Defense
    4) Has a great motor

Again, it's just a matter of opinion. You don't necessarily have to agree with it. What I do have a problem is with people just announcing Austin Rivers as the saviors based on the garbage that SI and ESPN shoves in your face, which has pretty much put Rivers on a pedestal.

Let me ask you something since you seem to love Rivers so much, what are your reasons for picking Rivers? What does he bring to the table that the Rockets don't already have? He showed that he had good scoring ability in HS which was greatly neutralized at the college level when he met players that were bigger and on par, if not more athletic than he was at the college level. He doesn't play any sort of defense and is at times selfish and often looks only for his own shot. It's like he has tunnel vision when he's out there on offense. Add that to the fact that he's a tweener at the SG position and lacks true PG skills to truly become a "combo guard", he's NOT what the Rockets need. People have been saying that this is a deep draft, so I fully expect the Rockets to find a player at the 14th and 16th spots to come in and make a difference at both ends of the court and not somebody that will be there simply to spell Kevin Martin.

19. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

And to add on to that, I would love to be an NBA scout. That would be a dream job of mine as I think a lot of basketball enthusiasts would love a job like that. It doesn't mean that I can't post my insights on a forum simply due to the fact that I am NOT an NBA scout. Again, this is all based on my observations which have helped to formulate my opinions. You (Da_Spark) like Austin Rivers and there is nothing wrong with that, but you should be able to respect another person's opinion and at least know WHY you like him and not base everything on what you read or has been spoon fed to you.

I like Clutchfans because the forums invites people to share their ideas and opinions and you can always learn something from people. So instead of trying to block somebody from posting his/her observations an opinions, you should be more open to it and you might actually learn something new.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rivers is a good player, but the only way i would choose him if it were a deal to trade him to Boston for those two picks of theirs. With another player added of course. Rivers is just not the type of player we need now.