1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With JVG Going, Who Do You Want to Come In?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, May 6, 2007.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

LOL. Good list. Not exactly the same order for me, but close.

2. pandazn

pandazn Member

1) His team sucks. Period.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm not familiar w\ the details of Phillps contract but I think he can just leave for another coaching position and the Lakers have to let him go.

Otherwise, your looking at 1st round draft pick for Phillip.

4. two-sandwiches

If it is true that the rockets have already contacted someone doesn't that exclude alot of current coaches without the consent of their organization and point to someone like Carlisle, Adelman or Larry Brown?

Once again what is wrong with Carlisle?

5. BallBoy

BallBoy Member

If JVG leaves, can be bring in his mentor, Pat Riley?

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's JVG version 2. Some really good teams in the East, that at the end of the day haven't really done squat. And he preaches defense at the expense of offense (well, I'm sure he doesn't say it like that, but effectively that is what happens).

He's a pass.

Phillip is my first choice, Adelman second. Thereafter, it's a bit of a toss-up between a bunch of unknowns or not the perfect fits, if you ask me.

7. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

You really do want my therapy and drug bills to go up, don't you?

Now I have to clean up the puke all over my screen.

:(

8. rennaisnz24

rennaisnz24 Member

Adelman or Carlisle

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

There are a lot of NBA teams in search of Head Coaches. Pacers, Sonics are a given, Memphis, maybe Knicks.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I really don't know. I hate going after new coaches. All too often bringing in new coaches are just a band-aid and don't really affect what's really wrong with a team.

I know one thing for sure though: I don't want Sam Mitchell.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Kobe was alread a 2-time all-star. w 2 all-star on his roster, Shaq and Kobe, Del Harris never could get them pass the 1st round

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Kobe may have been an all-star, but he was still green.

Phil Jackson is a huckster who had to wait until Doug Collins and Del Harris had developed championship calliber teams for him to take over.

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

By the way, if Del Harris is going to get slammed for not winning a title with pre-pubescent Kobe Bryant, then what about Jackson failing to get it done with four LEGENDS in Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone?

14. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

If all this is true about Jeff Van Gundy, the obvious choice is Adelman. Rick despite his well-known advantages on offense isn't r****ded on the defensive end of things. He took a Kings team with Webber, Bibby, Divac, and Peja and they so happened to be first in the league in defensive FG% in 02-03. They were eighth in that area the year prior however they did win more games that year with 60 wins. It was downhill from there though but it was clear by that time this team was aging and really over the hill.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Does Les have a daughter as hot as Phil's playboy-cover girlfriend?

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Payton and Malone were near the end of their career, Bryant was shuttling to/from Colorado, and Shaq was injured for many games. So there were four WOULD-BE LEGENDS, but none of them was that season.

17. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Malon was injured.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Dell Harris would be awfull. Not only because of his Lakers underachievement but consider he has been the key x and o guy for a loaded team who have had no responses in their last two exiting series (4 strait Ls versus Mia, 4 of 5 versus GS).

I also really don't want an inexperienced coach. The Rockets cannot afford a learning curve with Yao/Tmac/Battier in their prime. Mario E is fine as an assistent/trainee to potentilly take over down the line. We saw what happened with Avery J/Harris versus Riley and staff and Nellie and staff--IMO they paniced early versus GS.

So.....

1-Phil Jackson
    2-Larry Brown
    3-Rudy T
    4-Adelman

We need someone to build on what JVG did for the defense but create a more confident and attacking offense. And most important the guy needs to be able to get buy in and develop the whole roster.

19. AggieRocketFan96

Oh wow, thanks for bringing me back to reality and back into my ass. Thank God for posters like you to police up an opinion thread and saving us opinionated types from the brink. Whew, that was a close one.