1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Jones/DMo playing well, do you still want a stretch 4 for Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade fits for Omer Asik

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm starting to move into the non-PF camp. Not so much because of TJones, but more because it's not Morey's style to:

a) trade similar level assets
    b) make the predictable trade

My guess is there's something bigger going on in the background. Lin has hit that sweet spot where he's playing at a very high level and may look like a franchise PG to somebody.

I could see something of the following...

Lin + Asik + TJones + picks in a 2 or 3 way trade for

Kyrie Irving (problems in Cleveland)
    Melo ("I'll leave in FA if you don't trade me")
    John Wall (Wizards are a disaster)
    Greg Monroe (Clears up the front court)

The Melo one really intrigues me. He's a great fit next to Howard, but not a good fit in our current offense. If the Knicks continue to play poorly, I could see a scenario where Asik gets traded for a pick and Lin goes back to NY with the pick and TJones.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Melo just doesn't seem like the type of player that will ever win an NBA title, all he cares about is the scoring title. But who knows maybe I'm wrong.

4. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

I like the idea of Afflalo but he is a star player for Orlando right now. Not sure if they would give him up for Asik.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Could be. We know Morey went after him....what we don't know is how much he was willing to spend to get him.

Melo hasn't been on a losing team for awhile. It will be interesting to see how he reacts when the Knicks are 15-20 games below .500 in Jan/Feb.

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Would probably require a third team since Orlando is in rebuild mode and already have a good young center, but he would also be my choice if they go perimeter defender instead of stretch 4 route.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Kyrie and Wall are terrible fits. We don't need a PG, we need a defensive wing stopper, especially now that Tjones has emerged. Melo is just a chucker and doesn't make his teammates better. DNW.

8. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I really dont understand why people think Rondo is a right fit for the Rockets...He is not a spot up shooter and he has the ball in his hands 85% of the offensive possession...i guess that leaves 10% for harden and 5 percent for Dwight and others. Rondo would have been the perfect fit when we had Kevin Martin..but Harden is a shooting point gaurd. Adding Rondo would drastically take away from his game.

9. payaso

payaso Member

I've been biding my time to find a thread where DMo is mentioned as something potentially greater than what he is, and my initial reaction is this-

Did you watch the same game I did last night?

I lost count of how many times in his time on the court, DMo alligator-armed rebounds and loose balls in the paint. I might have chalked it up to adrenaline the first couple of times, but a sad pattern emerged.

I think he lacks the coordination necessary to be a big-minutes, quality 4-5, and I don't think there's a fix for that. If he slows his game down, he may have a better future as a mid-range/perimeter gunner, with a Ryan Anderson ceiling. But down low, banging with the big men? Not passing the eye test.

10. Deniz

Deniz Member

Keep Asik?? Oh, no. You can't do this to him. He will fall into a deep depression if Rockets don't trade him.

11. jtr

jtr Member

Coordination?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wbZ3005wn-4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Why not get Both? Asik and TJones/Dmo for Ibaka. OKC gets a solid frontcourt and we get a guy who can hit a mid-range jumper, an occasional 3, can back up Dwight and plays superior defense. Even if we needed to sweeten the deal a little I'd still consider it.

13. payaso

payaso Member

yeah, that's nice.

but

LOOK AT THE GAME TAPE! He got early minutes, you'll see what I'm talking about.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Especially since Orlando already has Vucevic who is already better than Asik and still improving. It would have to be a 3 team trade and I don't know how motivated they'd be to deal.

Afflalo's also a bit overrated as a defender IMO.

15. bongman

bongman Member

16. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Why is rondo even in the discussion? He doesn't fit next to harden or jeremy, we're already at our limit of ball dominant guards. Granted they could adjust their play styles but for him to fit snugly we'd have to lose one of harden or Lin, and with harden being a super star and Jeremy playing his ass off I wouldn't trade either.

17. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

The answer is NO. Rockets still have time to see how Jones and DMo play in a regular basis

18. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with you on that game. It is always good idea to judge a player on one game.

To me, he is the most coordinated big man we have. His problem is rebounding. If he can be decent with that, he could be a very good backup C once Asik is traded.

19. jtr

jtr Member

I watched the Denver game live and then re-watched the tape twice. D-Mo had one heck of a game on both sides of the ball.

I watched the Celtics game, but it is hard to tell much about the players in a scrum blowout. It is time to wait and see how things develop, but if D-Mo can put up below average rebounding and average defensive play to go along with his obvious high potential offense he could be a very good starting center in the NBA. He is young, and huge men (7 foot, 260 pounds) take a while to develop in the NBA. Example Hibbert - just to name one.

20. payaso

payaso Member

Notice I'm not talking about his wing skills, as evidenced in the breakaway clip... I think those are his most fully developed.
    He had several rebound attempts where there was no question that he was in position, but his hands seemed to be nowhere near the ball on its carom, whether off the glass or off the floor.

Hope he learns how to grasp/hold a ball by 12/15!