1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Jones/DMo playing well, do you still want a stretch 4 for Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. meh

meh Member

Because right now, more than Millsap/Anderson/Illyasova type, we really might be better off looking for a stud perimeter defender. A poor-man's Iggy or Tony Allen with some semblance of a jumpshot. I don't know who fits that bill and is available. But to me an athletic perimeter plus defender seems like the biggest need for the team.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Agreed.

But I also don't think it would be the end of the world if we just kept Asik most of the season to backup Dwight, and traded him in Feb.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm starting to be convinced that perimeter defender (who can make threes) would be the best.

I'm by no means totally sold on Jones, but I'm getting more optimistic about him by the game. And the thing is, even if Jones did turn out not to be as good as he seems, we could still slide Parsons to the 4 a lot of the time to mitigate the problem. He is capable of defending some PFs, depending on their size/strength. And, in the offseason, we could use the full MLE to fix the problem via free agency.

So what kind of perimeter stopper could we get... well, I keep banging the Luol Deng drum. I don't know how available he would be, but I think he would be the PERFECT fit. Barring that, a guy like Evan Turner might be good?

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

of coarse its logical to get a stretch 4 at this point in time, but we all know Morey it gonna get some random trade no one has thought of which will turn out and wait.

but for me (inside the box thinking) millsap works as his expires in the 2015 free agent season

poll?

#4 Voice of Aus, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. Asian Sensation

I'd like Millsap if he can be had otherwise I agree we NEED a lockdown perimeter defender to make up for Harden's efforts or lack there of on D.

6. meh

meh Member

To be quite honest, my personal dream scenario simply would be to keep Asik. Have him play the role he did in Chicago. Unfortunately that's not plausible given the situation.

I responded in the other thread, but Deng is a very risky player to get because of his wear and tear over the years. His body may be breaking down despite his age.

I do agree he's the type of player that would flourish on this team though. I keep thinking there has to be another Battier out there that only Morey knows about. A good role player on a crummy team that's overlooked.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Rockets are serious about contending for a championship THIS season, they have to have a PF who can nail jumpers (esp. 3-pointers) in the playoffs. No way they can trust Jones, D-Mo or Casspi with that responsibility.

I agree a 2/3 perimeter defender is also a need. Ronnie Brewer doesn't measure up. Beverly defends the 1 position quite well.

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Would like to trade him for picks + expiring contracts

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

^ I don't think Morey expects to win a title this season one way or another. He said going to the WCF would be a successful first season for this new lineup.

Jones might be good enough to be the PF on a championship team next season. We'll just have to play him more and find out.

If not, we should have the full MLE this offseason.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is why we wait until closer to the deadline.

If Howard gets injured for the season, we continue with Omer in the middle. Otherwise we move him for a backup C, and "assets".

11. saintja2

saintja2 Member

Shumpert seems to be available.

No way we should give Asik for just him, though. Unfortunately the Knicks don't have much else to offer.

So, Bargnani+Shumpert for Asik? :p

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Lu Deng would be perfect, as mentioned in the other thread.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rondo would make T. Jones look like a star.

14. leebigez

leebigez Member

Id rather just keep the team intact unless a team made me a great offer. I think the rotation could be adjusted to defend better as well as meshing of players to trust each other. The 91,92 rockets were not a good defensive team despite having dream at center. It wasn't until rudy got those guys to buy into each other and trust the net man on the string. If it were me,I would play brewer more in place of garcia. I would bring brewer in with lin to replace harden. Then when harden comes back,I would slide brewer to the 3. Rotations are vital to team defense. Player need to close under control even when its not his man. I've seen too many times where the string is broken because a player is being selfish on his rotations.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think Brewer is in the doghouse. Anyway he's not the answer. He's garbage on offense, truly garbage. Wrecks our spacing. If he could at least hit the three point shot, I'd support putting him into the rotation. As it is, he's a third string player, and that's where he belongs.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

I hear he's available, and Tyson Chandler will be out for awhile...

[​IMG]

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I am not sure Daryl Morey really think that much about position, other than that you don't want another purely in-the-paint center next to Dwight Howard. Mostly, it's just about finding another elite player.

Short of that, I think the team would be OK trading Asik either for future assets or a player that could fit better with the current squad than Asik can and is still as valuable as a trade asset as Asik is when the next elite player shakes loose.

#17 Carl Herrera, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Which, once again, is not something we even need. I believe Morey's thinking has changed now that we have two superstars. I think he's back in that "polishing off the roster" stage he was in when he thought he was building around T-Mac and Yao. If a star becomes available then great, but otherwise he's going to look for the best roleplayers to put around our stars.

19. leebigez

leebigez Member

Would love to have rondo.

20. meh

meh Member

I've actually scanned various Knicks boards because of the recent Shumpert/Asik/Rondo rumors. Knicks fans have been complaining about Shumpert's lack of defense this year, and supposedly had off-season surgery. Overall I'd be okay with him being part of the package. But the other part better be a bonafide quality backup C.