1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Eddie out, Rockets are better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fatman510, Oct 30, 2003.

1. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Tonight we saw the Rockets dominate the Nuggets. Defense, rebounding, scoring and passing were all there. Our guards contributed well, with Francis having a great game and Mobley leading the team in points scored, but the thing that stood out most to me tonight was the forward play.
    Cato, obviously is the first to come to mind. 10 points, 13 rebounds is EXACTLY what this team needs. A tough banger rebounder who doesn't need the ball on offense and scores off of second chances. He's the guy everyone here was begging CD to aquire last year (PJ Brown, Brian Grant). Mo Taylor can come off the bench and provide instant scoring (10 points tonight) and Toray Braggs has been the surprise of the year so far. 6 points 6 boards and again, he doesnt need the ball.
    This brings us to Eddie Griffin. When/if Eddie gets back he will completely ruin the flow of the game for the Rockets. He shoots up brick after brick, is not tough inside and does not rebound particularly well. The Rockets cannot succeed with Eddie Griffin playing.

Either cut him or trade him for a scrub or draft picks, but we CANNOT have Eddie playing for us this year.

2. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I agree to a certain extent.

I like giving people a second chance, but in this case, I wonder if it would be best???

Even though it was the Nuggets, I'm liking this team. I couldn't give a crap really, if Ed comes back.

I wanted him to succeed more than anyone, but so much is going on there. I'd be happy to give some unknown hustler like Braggs some minutes instead.

So basically, I say we get something for him, if we can ... which is looking pretty doubtful.

& if by chance, he DOES come back & kick ass, well by golly, I'll gladly eat my hat.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Anyone thing we could get the Blazers to go for a Cat/Griffin/Mooch for Anderson/McInnis?

4. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

his attitude was a downer. agreed

5. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I really dont think we should trade Cat. I was one of Cat's biggest haters last year, but now I just dont see the point. He didn't display the black holedness that he did last year. We also cant lose a third option scorer like Cat with Gundy's offense. We need every scorer we can get.

6. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I think Cat has the trade power to bring a big time contributor. Like how Steve Kerr was saying on the TNT ... that if we could somehow get a true big point guard in the mix, & slide Stevie to the 2 (ala Iverson,) it would suit us well in the long run. Instead of having 2 guns at guard. I to distribute, 1 to shoot, & then feed Yao the rest of the time.

I ain't gonna cry for a Cat trade, but I think it could benefit HIM, & the Rox down the road.

Just my opinion.

Griffin ... we'll get close to nothing for him, I'm afeared.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I dont think it has anything to do with Griffin. It has to do with the Rockets buying into the system, sharing the ball, playing Defense, etc. All the things JVG wanted them to do.

Come on, how could 25 minutes from a mediocre power forward make much of a difference. He's not THAT bad.

8. Nova

Nova Member

No way Cat should or is going to be traded. He we need him as a third scorer, especially when Yao sits or gets in foul trouble like today. It's nice to have more than two main offensive threats. Mooch did horrible this game, but let's not bash him too much yet. He became a solid backup after his first horrid preseason game. Let's see if he can pull himself back together again and become a solid backup again. JVG did praise him, let's see how he does in the next couple of games before we start demanding his head. But yeah, he did HORRIBLE this game...

9. Nova

Nova Member

Forgot to add that the team does seem to work better without Griffin in terms of shotting % energy level on the court and such. Part of me wants to say 'trade his ass' but another wants to give him another chance. Theoretically he should be better than Braggs, although right now Braggs is the better fit.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Let me rephrase you title...because that's not what you post is about....

"With Francis, Yao, and JVG on the same page, the Rockets are better...."

"With improved D, the Rockets are better..."

"With a stronger Yao, the Rockets are better..."

Please don't use EG as an excuse for last years losses. He was just a small piece of the puzzle.

11. metalhead

metalhead Member

so who is going to go when Pike and AG come back? and say EG gets his #hit together and rejoins the team, what then?

Padgett and Man-Boobs are top 2 to go im sure...Braggs would also be a suspect..

12. fatman510

fatman510 Member

No where in my thread did I blame EG for last years losses. I was only stating that the power forward trio of Braggs, Cato and Taylor flows and meshes a lot better with this offense and provides the perfect compliment to Yao, Steve and Cat. Throw Eggie into the mix, and our offense and rebounding goes.

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Take another look at your thread title.

:rolleyes:

14. fatman510

fatman510 Member

and how does that imply that I blame EG for our losses last year?
    With this NEW SYSTEM and NEW COACH the Rockets are better with EG not playing. I did not bring up Eddie from last year AT ALL in my post OR my post title.

:rolleyes:

15. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

WHO is Man-Boobs??? HAHAHA!!!

Man, if they cut a hustler like Braggs, I'm gonna root for The Lakers. ;) :p

Seriously though, ya can never have too much talent.

I liked the flow tonight too ... but alas, as so many have said 2-night ... it IS just the Nuggets. :rolleyes:

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

To be fair, it is a Nuggets team that just beat the defending champion Spurs.

17. metalhead

metalhead Member

Well at least 2 people have got to go when Pike and AG return. Unless you favor keeping AG on the IR for a while to see if Braggs or Padgett are needed more.