1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With alittle over 55million coming off the Books!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SKYGODZ187, Sep 26, 2018.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Who comes back? Who do you want back?
    Who do you try and sign in FA?
    Do you trade?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Can the stros get a chance to defend their title first :rolleyes:

IDDIOT

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bring back
    Morton- 3/42
    Marwin- 3/25- anything higher I let him walk
    Maldonado- 3/15? I'd pay him $5 a year or let him walk

Let Walk

DK- offer QO- figure he will decline it- let him move on (I mean, unless his market sucks and he's willing to take something like 4/60 which I can't imagine happening
    Gattis
    Marwin (I have him under bring back but can't imagine he takes that deal- if he did- great- but he's going in this category I'm sure)
    McCann (I might offer him something like 1/5 but whatever I'd offer him I can't imagine him accepting)
    Harris- I'd not pick up his option
    Sipp

Trade

McHugh- For sure. Just not enough value in us paying him $6,000,000 for one year on arbitration
    LMJ- not saying I'd trade him- but I'd definitely gauge market interest if I could get a 3/42 type deal done with Morton
    Peacock- ditto McHugh- I'd want a little more for him as he's got more club control left- but I'd rather not pay him in arbitration to be a long man
    Reddick- if you can get out of his contract- I think you can- I'm not looking for any real value in the minors, I'm looking for someone that will send me a bag of balls and a fungo- so I can do the other stuff I talk about below. I'm not down on him. His 12 or 13 million doesn't offend me- I just think I can get better value elsewhere.

Extensions I'd offer/ be willing to do from a years and dollars perspective (I realize these guys aren't up- I'm just saying I'd kick the tires)

JV or Cole- JV 3/90, Cole 5/150 (not both- but one or the other)
    Pressley- 3/18
    Springer- 3/75 (not ripping up his option next year- that's got to be played out- but I'd offer him that and if he says no I'd look to see what the interest was in him)
    Bregman 10/200 (ripping up last cheap year and 3 arbitration years- I'd make it a smooth 20 per year- if you figure his next 4 years he probably gets something like 40 million in final club control and 3 years arbitration that's equivalent to a 6 year 160 million dollar extension for him- make him say no to generational wealth at 24- he probably will but that'd be my offer)

Roster then becomes (what the astros are paying for it anyway)

JV- 20 million
    Cole- 20 million
    Morton- 14 million
    Whitley- 500k
    James/Framber- 500k
    $55,000,000 Starting rotation

Bullpen

Osuna
    Rondon
    Presley
    Smith
    Devo
    James/Framber
    Perez
    AAA guy tbnl

$25 million maybe?

Players

Maldonado- 5
    Stassi- 500
    White- 500
    Altuve- 30 million
    Correa- 6 million
    Bregman- 20 million
    Tucker- 500k
    Springer- 13 million (jumping to 25 million in 2020)
    Kemp- 500k
    Marisnick- 4 million (anything more and he's gone)
    Gurriel (utliity/DH) 9 million
    Davis or Reed (utility/DH) 500k

Positional payroll
    $90,000,000.00

Total payroll if I could pull off everything like that: $170,000,000.00
    In 2020 you'd be getting out from $20,000,000 in Cole or Verlander (whoever doesn't want to sign) while jumping Springer $12 million and giving substantial arbitration raises to Correa and maybe a bullpen guy or two.

That's a 2019 roster that could win the world series on $170 million while also setting your competitive window into 2023, and making sure that Bregman, Springer and Altuve are all Astros for life (or at least all their productive baseball lives- if Bregman and Springer want to move on at 33 or 34 so be it, I'm not that sentimental) and paying market rate for only one ace. If they didn't offer any of the extensions that roster would cost them something like $135 or $140 million. If that's the route they go I sure hope that it means they are saving some money in their piggy bank for extensions that get done at a later date in time.

Correa is thus the odd man out in this scenario. I've always figured it would go down that way as he always seemed (and I don't mean this negatively) as an AROD- money and market are big deal and most important to him beyond staying in 1 place and being a Bagwell Biggio, but the back injury makes me very leery of ever offering him an extension. Play it out in arbitration. So be it.

sammy and TMAC3 like this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bring everyone back and go for a 3-peat.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Marwin posted a 2.7 WAR this year. That is worth $20 large. I guess Marwin will get a 4/80 offer.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

u are on crack. Marwin is not getting $20 million a year......lol.

AB423 and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wonder how much the Astros are making. Why can’t they have a $225 payroll for a few years? Keep everyone together. Keep Cole and Justin Verlander. Correa etc

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trade for Realmuto (guessing C Martin, Stassi, James, Fisher, and C Perez)

Sign Maldonado to backup ($12M/2yr)

Sign Nelson Cruz ($18M/2yr)

Sign Charlie Morton ($28M/2yr)

Trade Will Harris, Joe Smith, AJ Reed, Tony Kemp for high ceiling lower level prospects (eat money if needed)

QO Keuchel

Try to extend Bregman, Springer, and Correa

Protect Armenteros, Thornton, Stubbs, Ferrell, Arauz, Ferguson, Dykxhoorn, Bostick, and Abreu from Rule 5.

2019 opening day lineup/40 man:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Cruz
    C Realmuto
    LF Reddick
    1B White
    RF Tucker*
    Bench: Gurriel, Maldonado, Marisnick
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Morton, McCullers, Whitley*
    Bullpen: Peacock, F Valdez, Deetz, Devenski, McHugh, Rondon, Pressly, Osuna

Optioned to AAA: Stubbs, Arauz, Davis, Straw, Ferguson, Thornton, Armenteros, Martes, Rodgers, Dykxhoorn, Bostick, Guduan, Gustave, Ferrell, Abreu

*Davis or whoever would begin the season as the LF until another year of control was secured for Tucker; Rodgers or whoever would begin the season as the 5th starter until another year of control was secured for Whitley.

#8 Snake Diggit, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A lot of incorrect information in here.

Springer does not have an "option" year. He signed a 2 year deal for 12 million per season and then has an additional year of arbitration after that. The Astros control him for 2 more seasons. No reason to do anything with his contract now.

Altuve is not making 30 million next year. He is getting 6.5 million plus a 10 million dollar bonus/advance from his extension.

What the Astros do with Morton will depend on how his shoulder holds up the rest of this season. He has been injury prone most of his career and the Astros did not expect to get this much out of him. I suspect they might make him a qualifying offer. Pay him 18 million but only for one season. Lots of teams are desperate for starting pitching and he would likely receive multi year offers similar to what Scott Kazmir received after leaving the Astros.

Marwin has Boras as an agent. Unless Marwin has a strong desire to stay in Houston he could be difficult to keep. I would guess he will get a contract in the 3-4 year range for 8-11 million a season.

I would not be surprised if McHugh is traded. His value should be pretty good with the season he had this year and his arbitration number will be creeping towards 7-8 million.

I expect Peacock to still be on the team next year since they control him for 2 more seasons and he could be a fall back if the young starters (Framber, James, Whitley) struggle or fail to make the team.

Keuchel has Boras as an agent and I expect them to look for a deal similar to Arrieta with 50 plus million guaranteed in the first 2 seasons with an opt out clause and team options with escalators. I think Astros offer a qualifying offer and say goodbye.

Catcher- Astros probably kick the tires on Realmuto, Ramos, etc. I suspect the fall back would be Maldonado/Stassi. If McCann resigns it will probably be Verlander's doing.

If possible I would like to see Verlander and Pressly get extensions. Maybe 2 years 55-60 million for Verlander with a 3rd year option for 25 million. Then Pressly is under arbitration but he only made 1.6 million this season so his arbitration number should be low. He might jump at a 3 year 18-21 million dollar deal.

They probably decline the option on Will Harris

Joe Smith isn't going anywhere next year.

LF will be interesting. What they do might depend on Marwin. If they can resign him he will be the fall back for Tucker and maybe White at DH if he struggles. If not, they will probably bring in a veteran outfielder that can be a DH like McCutchen, Adam Jones,etc.

#9 Redfish81, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    LonghornFan likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I knew it wasn’t an option on springer- sloppy phrasing. My point was I’d offer to tack on an extra 3-75 to the end of Springers walk years whereas I’d offer Bregman a straight up 10/200 tearing up his pre arbitration and arbitration years.

I don’t give a **** about exactly how Altuve contract is structured my point was big picture which is he’s making me or less 30 a year when looked at holistically. The point in talk long about the extensions and how I’d approach the offseason is not to get the exact dollars exact for 2019 but rather lay out the type of plan it would take to get 3 of the core 4 locked up for their entire primes, while fielding a WS contender and keeping the window open into the mid 2020’s.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

My sense is that Tucker isn’t going to get his service time monkeyed with by the FO. If they were going to they wouldn’t have called him up to ride the pine in late July after he **** the bed in his audition nor made him a September call up. It would have been a lot easier to fade that service time if he didn’t get the second and third call up for no good baseball reason.
    That said you are a savage and I’d do the same and let him start in the minors and stay down there for the extra year of control until, my guess would be June 1 or so.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Here is my thoughts on this and it sounds funny but I believe it's the best route.
    QO Dallas Keuchal but make it low enough for Boras to say f that let's get that money.
    QO Marwin Gonzalez but at 8.5m on a three yr contract but team options on yr two 10.5 yr three 12.5

KEEP McHugh as the 4th starter move
    Keep Machete 2yrdeal 5.5per team option on a third year.
    Harris, McCann, Gattis, Sipp, Stassi all can walk away.

Look into a true DH. Cruz would be nice but not at the price tag he is currently at. 10m per with team options if it's more then one yr.

But what I would really look at as is Four things .

1. Make a run at Patrick Corbin... Or Jacob Degrom.

2. Make a run at Realmuto.

3. Look for that RF move Reddick to LF. LF would would be better for Reddick for the final couple years he has. You could look for a way to improve A.J.Polluck is a name to look at.

4. See if you can find a trade partner for Yuli Gurriel let Tyler White play full time.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

QO’s are not flexible. They are ~$17.5M/1yr offers that the player can either accept or reject.

15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

If Realmuto gets traded to another team or if the cost is high, any interest in Yasmani Grandal? Or will he cost too much?

If Kershaw opts out, would you consider going after him or with his asking price, not worth it?

If Morton retires and goes back East, I wouldn't mind JA Happ as a replacement.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d go with Grandal over trading for realmato. 70% of production and no prospect cost.

17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

*C McCann or Maldonado (1yr/12 mil)
    C Stassi
    1B Yuli
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    SS Correa
    IF White (Primary DH)
    *IF/LF Marwin (2yrs 25 mil)
    CF Springer
    RF Reddick
    LF Tucker or Straw
    OF Marisnick
    OF Kemp

No need to make a deal before next years deadline. See how LF, DH, etc pan out or not.

So long Gattis....

SP Verlander (extend)
    SP Cole (extend)
    *SP Morton (2yrs 25 mil)
    SP McCullers
    SP Whitley or James or Valdez or ?

Trade McHugh for the best haul of prospects on the table. Would consider selling high on McCullers too if enough starters impress during ST

RP Osuna
    RP Rondon
    RP Pressly
    RP Devenski
    RP Smith
    RP Peacock
    RP James or Valdez or C Perez, etc

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I dont think McCullers goes any where I think Reliver from here on out.
    McHugh needs to stay Peacock needs to go.
    If a good offer comes up.
    I.E. if we could ship McCullers as a part of a package for let's say DeGrom or Realmuto. That's the only way he goes

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Buck Turgidson

You give one to Keuchel and Morton, for sure.