1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wisconsin Supreme Court Liberal Majority

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 5, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is this going to effect the cheese?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Even if Trump is the nominee? Would like to check that article out.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Wanna bet money??? 500? 1k? I can draw up a contract. Let me know I'll DM you. Talk is cheap. Put your wallet where your mouth is.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

why would I make a bet against my own interest? I will vote Biden over trump.

5. justtxyank

Sam fisher proclaimed the gop a regional party that would never hold power again after Obamas victory. That was followed by gop taking senate, house multiple times and trump.
    Beware grand projections about the future. Wild things happen and lead to impossible to predict results

6. astros123

astros123 Member

Sorry lol I love to wager:D

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Again I tended to agree with this but I think the country is changing in terms of social politics. Societies become more progressive. Trump won because the Democrats ran a bad candidate.

That being said this country from. Its founding has been divided on big government vs small government and I agree that Republicans will always be relevant in national elections on that issue. But Republicans are taking relevant losses with women on social issues

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's only become more regional since then. It's just the distribution of the regions (plus control of the courts and the general structure of our crumbling institutions and multiple veto points etc ) makes counter majority rule more likely.

9. justtxyank

for the record I wasn’t dunking on you for saying that.

10. Buck Turgidson

"It's not regonal, it's the distribution of the regions"

Well no ****ing ****, Nostradamus. Welcome to gerrymandering 101

astros123 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Skimming through this thread. Geographic concentration is a problem but Democratic votes are even more concentrated in Minnesota than they are in WI. The amount of gerrymandering in WI greatly amplifies the power of the GOP. MN has long had courts decide maps to prevent Gerrymandering.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The difference is that the Twin Cities Metro is 2/3 of the state's population. When you hit that level of density, it becomes a positive. This same factor is why Democrats created an incredibly efficient gerrymander in Nevada. Las Vegas has so much of the population that you can draw a supermajority that holds in an electorate that Trump wins.

But Wisconsin doesn't have a metro like Las Vegas or the Twin Cities. The City of Milwaukee suffers from low turnout and its shrinking in population. Milwaukee's suburbs are still quite red and Dane County's population is still only half a million (although their turnout rates are just absurdly high). A lot of the Democratic vote is spread out across the state in smaller towns that can easily get grouped with blood red rural areas.

Basically the Democratic vote in Wisconsin is too diluted and it lacks the sufficiently large urban and suburban area that Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan or Nevada has. The Las Vegas metro is 70% of Nevada and the Chicago metro is 70% of Illinois. The Twin Cities metro is 2/3 of Minnesota and the Detroit Metro is around 50% of Michigan. Meanwhile the combination of Milwaukee County and the Madison metro is only 25% of Wisconsin.

Even if we imagined that the Milwaukee suburbs magically became a net positive for Democrats that still only gets the combined Madison/Milwaukee metro to 40% of the state population.

Basically, Wisconsin's problem is that too many Democrats are in rural areas and they are diluted by larger Republican populations. And it lacks the dominant metro area. In fact, this is a broader problem for Democrats in Wisconsin. The state is slowly trending to the right because the suburban gains in the Milwaukee suburbs can be more than easily offset by losses in rural areas. This isn't a case like Minnesota where gains in the Twin Cities suburbs are much more valuable than losing rural voters due to a population imbalance.

Wisconsin has more in common with Iowa than Minnesota in this regard. The combination of the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids metro is around 30% of Iowa's population so while Democrats are gaining voters in Des Moines, they're losing voters everywhere else and the loss of rural voters simply outnumbers the gains in suburban voters. Wisconsin's trends haven't been as extreme as Iowa's but the same dynamics exist. A steep fall in rural voters just can't be offset by suburban voters. The only difference is that Iowa has non-partisan redistricting so Democrats have a path to winning two of the four districts (and if some reversion happened in the Driftless, there's a potential third district in play).

Andre0087, B-Bob and Kim like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think this is a projection of the country onto WI, a continuation of the 2022 election where abortion extremism and candidate quality matter. Banning nearly all abortions, as extreme as it gets, is now a reality after the Court overturned Roe and the 1849 near-total abortion ban law became valid again. Dan Kelly's extremism around abortion, and his ties to the Trump fake electors plan, made him a very low quality candidate.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

One thing to note is that Dan Kelly is a two time loser. He lost in 2020 (by the same margin) when he was the incumbent and that was before the Dobbs decision. And yet Wisconsin GOP voters thought to run it back again.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The GOP can't seem to help themselves but continue to put up low-quality candidates.

The 2020 WI SC election was held in April 2020, a special election where COVID was gripping the nation, mail-in ballots were a new norm, and during a DEM primary. It was so unique that I think it was more of a one-off than anything.

BTW, it's amazing to see the WI SC shift from 5-2 Conservative to 4-3 Liberal in just 3 years.

astros123 likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My sister was a Republican for decades, and several years ago she essentially became a Democrat because she strongly believes in a woman’s right to choose what to do with her own body. That doesn’t mean that she’s “in favor” of abortions. She isn’t. I don’t know a woman who is. It’s a difficult decision, but one they want to be able to make on their own.

She’s against a bunch of men telling her what she has to do, when they wouldn’t stand for the same thing if the situation was reversed. You won’t understand any of that because you never have. She’s still “conservative” in a lot of respects, but she votes for Democrats mainly because of this issue. Food for thought. I’ll add that I’ve spent most of my life disagreeing with my sister on a host of different things, but she’s my sister and I wouldn’t hesitate to stand between her and someone trying to harm her. We just happen to agree on this particular issue.

mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Your sister is an individual with her own thoughts. I understand her opposition as it has to do with her freedom. I don't need your condescension about me not understanding that. For most pro lifers abortion is about the fetus's rights, not the mother's. Bur I don't want to argue about abortion

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you’re making the point of why gerrymandering works in Wisconsin. Mn on the other hand hasn’t been gerrymanderd because of both divided government and that courts have drawn the maps.

20. adoo

adoo Member

no .

the GOP is making it easier for deranged killers to get assault weapons enabling them to
    kill as many people, in many instances school children, as possible in a short period of time.

eg
    • Las Vegas Strip mass shooting
    • Orlando night club shooting
    • virginia tech shooting
    • sandy hook elementary school shooting
    • Texas first baptist church mass shooting
    • etc.

FranchiseBlade likes this.