1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wireless router + phone help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Poloshirtbandit, Dec 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Poloshirtbandit

I have a Linksys WRT54GL and a Nokia Phone. I've never had trouble connecting anything to the router (PS3, laptop etc.), but when I try to connect the phone it says "invalid password." I can connect it to my apartment's free wifi no problem and at other places.

I even tried removing the password from my router but it still asks for a password and says invalid when I try to enter. If it means anything, I'm using WPA2 but I've tried WEP and WPA as well.

2. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Try hard reset on the phone or reset the phone all together. Regardless, it seems to be a issue with the phone not the router.

1 person likes this.
  3. Puss In Booty

Puss In Booty Member

Struggled hard with a Linksy's wireless router for about a year. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Giant pain in the arse.

Got fed up one night, bought a Netgear router, & life on the internets got a WHOLE lot easier in less than two minutes.

The Linksy's now sits in a junk box in the closet ... Where it belongs.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

A couple years ago I had a device that didn't like my network name. I changed the network name and it decided to connect. Tried that yet ?

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Building on this, make sure your SSID doesn't have any special characters in it, just keep it to A-Z and 0-9.

Also, make sure your router is updated with the latest Firmware. You should be able to find the update link within the administration panel.

6. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Are you freaking kidding me? Install dd-wrt firmware and it's one of the best router out there. I still own the WRT54GS and never really have to reboot it.

Best thing to do is go here http://www.dd-wrt.ca/site/support/other-downloads. Select v24-sp1>consumer>Linksys and make sure if your router is WRT54GL_1.0 or WRT54GL_1.1 and download the dd-wrt.v24_std(voip or vpn)_generic.bin. The default login after the dd-wrt firmware update is user "root", password "admin".

http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL

If you don't want to go through all this(which I totally recommend installing the DD_WRT firmware) then just reboot or reset your router.

1 person likes this.
  7. Puss In Booty

Puss In Booty Member

Right on ... That sounds a whole lot easier than taking something out of a box, & plugging it in. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

8. Poloshirtbandit

This did it, thanks.

9. Poloshirtbandit

DD WRT is the whole reason I bought this particular router after reading reviews. Probably the first connection problem I've ever had with this one that I can recall. I've had it for about 3 years now.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I actually agree with CB for once, and in fact, recommended this to a friend just two days ago when he had issues connecting an old laptop to his linksys router. He was able to install the firmware in a few minutes and it fixed his issue right away.

It's actually very, very simple to do this upgrade.