1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wireless Network Setup HELP!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

OK, here's the deal.....

Bought a new laptop and router at Fry's today. Want to setup a basic wireless network in my house so I can use the laptop on the internet from anywhere in the house.

1. Setup the router, connected it, and ran through the installation CD.
    2. Ran through the wireless network setup wizard on the control panel. Gave the network a name and printed out the network settings so I can get the key.

My desktop PC, the one the router and DSL modem are connected to, access the internet just fine.

When I view available wireless networks on the laptop, it doesn't see the network I created.

My home PC is on Windows XP, while the laptop is on Windows Vista. Could this be the problem??

Any and all help is appreciated....much obliged....RMT

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sounds like an issue with your wireless setup. Do you have the router configured to broadcast? That will be somewhere in the router setup, and if you don't see it at all then that sounds like it could be the problem. The OS your desktop is on shouldn't matter one bit, the wireless router is completely independent of that. I'm guessing the desktop works because you are hooked up to the router with a wired connection. I would check the broadcast settings, and turn off WEP/WPA for the time being just to see if you can connect to it after that.

3. STIX

STIX Member

Is the wireless connection ON, on your router?

Had the same problem till I noticed that I didn't have my wireless enabled.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

What a coincidence. My wifi DSL modem died last night and I went through hell trying to bridge my non-wifi DSL modem to my wifi router.

Here's a quote of what I did. Works like a charm and much easier than trying to bridge the DSL modem with a wifi router.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I just ran through the setup again. It tests out fine. I did not see any option for configuring it to "broadcast". It's a setup wizard from the router manufacturer (Netgear). It took me to the internet site where it detects your DSL settings...I keyed in the admin ID and password and it passed all of the tests. But I still don't see the signal on my laptop. What gives??

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser. A little window should pop up asking you for username/password. Leave the username blank and type in admin as the password. This works for Linksys...not sure about Netgear. Netgear could be 192.168.0.1

7. macalu

macalu Member

xp on desktop and vista on laptop should not matter. that's my exact setup.

i'm not trying to sound condescending but is your laptops wireless turned on in the first place?

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I've done that. I was able to get into the Netgear page where it checked out my setup, and it checked out fine.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Don't worry about sounding condescending...I'm crappy when it comes to networking! :)

I do believe my laptops wireless is turned on...it is seeing other networks, just not the one I set up with the Windows wireless network wizard on the control panel.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Well, this is my first post from my new laptop on my new home wireless network!!

The problem was....I bought the wrong damn kind of router!!!

DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Went back to Fry's when they opened this morning and exchanged the wrong one for the right one.

Yeah, networking is not my strong suit!

:D

11. macalu

macalu Member

what was "wrong" with the first one?

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Did you buy an access point the first time instead of a router?

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

My first question I was going to ask was, "is your router a wireless router?" :D

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Yup. It said "router" but it was a plug-in and not wireless.

Damn, my wireless network with my laptop is way faster than my desktop PC!