1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wired]Pentagon Looks to Breed Immortal ‘Synthetic Organisms’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ottomaton, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What could possibly go wrong?

source

[rquoter]
    Pentagon Looks to Breed Immortal ‘Synthetic Organisms,’ Molecular Kill-Switch Included

The Pentagon’s mad science arm may have come up with its most radical project yet. Darpa is looking to re-write the laws of evolution to the military’s advantage, creating “synthetic organisms” that can live forever — or can be killed with the flick of a molecular switch.

As part of its budget for the next year, Darpa is investing $6 million into a project called BioDesign, with the goal of eliminating “the randomness of natural evolutionary advancement.” The plan would assemble the latest bio-tech knowledge to come up with living, breathing creatures that are genetically engineered to “produce the intended biological effect.” Darpa wants the organisms to be fortified with molecules that bolster cell resistance to death, so that the lab-monsters can “ultimately be programmed to live indefinitely.”

Of course, Darpa’s got to prevent the super-species from being swayed to do enemy work — so they’ll encode loyalty right into DNA, by developing genetically programmed locks to create “tamper proof” cells. Plus, the synthetic organism will be traceable, using some kind of DNA manipulation, “similar to a serial number on a handgun.” And if that doesn’t work, don’t worry. In case Darpa’s plan somehow goes horribly awry, they’re also tossing in a last-resort, genetically-coded kill switch:

<blockquote>Develop strategies to create a synthetic organism “self-destruct” option to be implemented upon nefarious removal of organism.</blockquote>

The project comes as Darpa also plans to throw $20 million into a new synthetic biology program, and $7.5 million into “increasing by several decades the speed with which we sequence, analyze and functionally edit cellular genomes.”

Of course, Darpa’s up against some vexing, fundamental laws of nature — not to mention bioethics — as they embark on the lab beast program. First, they might want to rethink the idea of evolution as a random series of events, says NYU biology professor David Fitch. “Evolution by selection is nota random process at all, and is actually a hugely efficient design algorithm used extensively in computation and engineering,” he e-mails Danger Room.

Even if Darpa manages to overcome the inherent intelligence of evolutionary processes, overcoming inevitable death can be tricky. Just ask all the other research teams who’ve made stabs at it, trying everything from cell starvation to hormone treatments. Gene therapy, where artificial genes are inserted into an organism to boost cell life, are the latest and greatest in life-extension science, but they’ve only been proven to extend lifespan by 20 percent in rats.

But suppose gene therapy makes major strides, and Darpa does manage to get the evolutionary science right. They’ll also have a major ethical hurdle to jump. Synthetic biology researchers are already facing the same questions, as a 2009 summary from the Synthetic Biology Project reports:

<blockquote>The concern that humans might be overreaching when we create organisms that never before existed can be a safety concern, but it also returns us to disagreements about what is our proper role in the natural world (a debate largely about non-physical harms or harms to well-being).</blockquote>

Even expert molecular geneticists don’t know what to make of the project. Either that, or they’re scared Darpa might sic a bio-bot on them. “I would love to comment, but unfortunately Darpa has installed a kill switch in me,” one unnamed expert tells Danger Room.

[/rquoter]

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was talking to a scientist the other day who works with actin networks and specifically actin networks that flex inside living cells to give cells the ability to move around. Very cool.

What was amazing/disturbing is that they understand it well enough now that they can, with a beaker and the right mix of molecules, build a synthetic moving little blob -- not a living cell, but a little blog (EDIT: LOL, blob) of organic molecules that moves like a cell would.

And then I thought of DARPA, and then I was awake all night.

#2 B-Bob, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  3. langal

langal Contributing Member

sex-bots was the first thing i thought of. would that count as cheating?

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Immortal bio-blobs taking over the world and enslaving human-kind is definitely high on my list of fears.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll take comfort in the fact that they are probably about a million miles away from success at this point.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I, for one, embrace our new blob overlords.

1 person likes this.
  8. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Sounds like a hit movie!

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This is great news for Godzilla fans everywhere.

10. droxford

droxford Member

Initial sketch of what the organism will look like:

[​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought bio-weapons were banned by treaty?

Then again we've got plenty of people who are all for shredding treaties.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Some of these things literally aren't biology. I would bet they circumvent whatever treaty language relates to bio-weapons, which are typically infectious agents & viruses, right?

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Party B would create viruses that remove or modify the killswitch and loyalty genes.