1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winter Freeze prep

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tried this again around 12:40 today. My attic was 51 and my garage was 36. Outside temp was probably 38. That's more like it.

2. Buck Turgidson

Indoor (cabin, shed, wherever with minimal insulation and no heat) has constantly been 12-14 degrees warmer than the outside

3. Buck Turgidson

Gonna find out if it works, in the bottom of 8' circular aluminum water troughs.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Why? My water heater is over 20 years old and still working great. Arbitrary replacement is just a waste of money

5. Buck Turgidson

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If it were sitting in my garage, I wouldn't worry and probably wait for it to fail, but I fear arbitrary failure more than I do arbitrary replacement since it's in my attic. If it fails in my attic and I'm nowhere around at the time, the damage could be ridiculous. Too many water heaters in my area fail after about 10-12 years. They'll start popping and clanging due to sediment/deposits from the crazy hard water no matter if you drain it regularly or not from what I'm seeing. I also wonder how much more efficient newer water heaters are compared to old models.

clos4life likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

What's the cost of a new one vs the cost of a busted one?

You know it will bust within 20-30ish years

clos4life likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Gas or Electric?

Have you ever replaced the heating coils?

How hard is your water?

Etc....

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Never replaced heating coils. Hardness in the last city water quality report calcium carbonate level was in a range between 90-190ppm at various points during the year.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I bought these before the freeze. My spigots were dripping pretty well. No busted pipes.

11. Buck Turgidson

Just saw this on their website, from the "everything is a dildo if you're brave enough" department:

[​IMG]

Sajan likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Mine froze the weeds that were underneath the spigot. I just kicked it down. It was a solid 5" diameter, 2" tall dome of ice.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've heard mixed reviews about these. Some people say there's sometimes a leak from it at the top while others have had good success. I've only used the $5 covers on mine and have survived for the past couple of decades. Of course, now I probably jinxed myself.

boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

I had to tighten it down pretty well for the gasket to seal against spigot. I don't like that it has plastic ridges that a wrench or channellock will tear up. But it kept my plumbing fine this freeze.

I had to drip it manually during 2021's freeze. That was too cold for too long where the foam insulators were ineffective. Took the heatgun to it so it would thaw and loosened for a slow drip. The freeze miser was a steady stream almost when it was below 25.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...don't get me started on water heaters. I'm on my second one in less than six years. Mine is in the attic and I have a drain pan. Do you not have a drain pan? The water isn't all coming out at once. lol

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have a drain pan, but there's a reason for those expansion tanks on them which they're now saying should probably be replaced every 5-6 years. I should probably put an alarm in the pan, but I still haven't. lol. And then there's always something like this where it doesn't matter where the thing is located. lol. :