1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winston Churchill about Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 4, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

(from: The River War - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_War)

The greatest Briton of all time spoke these words in 1899.

Do you think that he was prescient, taking into account everything that is going on in that part of the world and all over the world nowadays (ISIS, Taliban, Boko Haram, terrorist attacks all over the world, oppression of women and homosexuals in the name of Islam)?

Or do you think I should go to jail for quoting Winston Churchill?

#1 AroundTheWorld, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Churchill is not exactly known for cultural sensitivity and some of the issues in the Middle East are directly related to the dealings between the rulers in the Middle East and the UK.

Having said that...... I believe far more people agree with Churchill than will openly admit. Also, there is a strong element of Islam that does not stress education, science, free thought or the freedom of the individuals. Reminds me in some ways of Russia under the Tsar.

I don't believe anyone thinks that all the issues in the Middle East are a result of Islam...... but it plays a part, and probably a bigger part than some want to admit.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I always had the impression that Islam has a strong emphasis on seeking knowledge. Maybe WAS is more correct.

I found this interesting. The Quran dated back to ~653, about 20 years after Muhammad's death. Sharia law dated back to the 9th century, about 200 years after Mohamed's death.

I found this list of differences between the two (don't know how correct they are) very interesting. If this is accurate and representative, it looks like Sharia law was created by someone later to reflect their morals and to control society.

link

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm no historian, but I'm pretty sure that Churchill would've been something like 12 years old in 1889. What gives?

1 person likes this.
  5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Churchill wasn't a big fan of the Germans either ;).

1 person likes this.
  6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Lol he would have been 15.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Greatest Briton? He usually trails Atlee in most polls of Greatest PM.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Most inspiring Briton?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry, 1899.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2509465.stm

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What an enlightened figure to cite in defense of religious tolerance.

Looks like somebody didn't think this one through. Better luck next time.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So just because you routinely say idiotic things, you cannot be right on others?

Try again, son.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For Sam's sake, I'd hope that's the case.

13. SamFisher

The lesson here, mate, is that you could have avoided embarrassment by not making a rather well-known 19th c. British Colonialist your touchstone as part of a lame appeal-to-authority argument that has all the sophisticated hallmarks of a term paper written by a 12 year old who stayed up late watching movies on Cinemax the night before.

Again, best of luck in the future.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

is that you, Sammyboi, are still a little loser.

You can try to badmouth Churchill all you want, you will never be anywhere close to his relevance and achievement.

Churchill's statement about Islam is absolutely correct. Try to convince people otherwise, while news of ISIS burning a human being (and a Muslim) alive in the name of Islam are all over the internet.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fixed.

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Back when Europe was a backwards, war torn, religiously zealous quagmire and the Muslim nations were ascendant, studying ancient Greek philosophy, and slowly seeing rationality enter into their religious views -- back then I am sure many a Muslim leader had very similar things to say about the Christians as Churchill here says about the Muslims.

I say that to offer perspective -- much like when I counter scathing criticisms of Democrats or Republicans with a reminder that both groups are inimical to mankind, my stance on Christianity and Islam is largely the same.

I would hope that both the Middle East AND the United States become more secular in the near future so that both our cultures, as well as our relations with each other, might improve. I am of course not hopeful in either regards though.

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Winston Churchill to Lady Astor: “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”

Thanks for putting this unenlightened asshat on a pedestal :rolleyes:

18. SamFisher

Oh damn, you dropped the "you'll never be Churchill" internet burn on me? Bloody hell - I'm losing my knickers.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O-7gpgXNWYI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me give you some free advice - this is how you do it if you want to roll with the "YOU'LL NEVER BE PM OF ENGLAND!" mega-diss.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

Better luck next time.

1 person likes this.
  19. downbytheriver

Another article yesterday about the first female mosque being built in America.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/2/3/first-all-female-mosque-opens-in-los-angeles.html

2,000 major mosque's throughout the country, and up until now, females had been relegated to praying in balconies, closets, and hidden corners.

It more or less is a backwards ideology that has no place in civilized society.Tells us all we need to know when moderates distance themselves and stay quiet from stories such as these.

20. trustme

trustme Member

LOOL WUT?
    You obviously have never been to a mosque. Good job being a dumb bigot.

Women and men have the same facilities in mosques across the country and world. Maybe there are some areas where they can't afford a nice mosque and have to sacrifice the prayer area for both sides. I have also prayed in many crappy places in America where the women's side was better than the men's side.

What a true idiot you are.