1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning ROY correlates to future HOF success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Feb 11, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think Lavine is a reasonable comparison of who he might be in terms of level of player.

BigM likes this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think we would have drafted Green if he actually went to college.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're problem is not understanding that 99% is greater than 1%.

alethios likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Steve Francis ready to win it all

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From what I have seen from Crawford, he found his bench role eventually.

He became great at what he did and he kept at it.

I am thinking Jalen would struggle to find a role as the Alpha unless Stone cements a hierarchy and demands touches for the guy.

Nelly, aaquaa and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jamal Crawford? That’s approaching Corey Brewer level bad as a comparison. They don’t have remotely similar games.

Nelly and Astrodome like this.
  7. jogo

jogo Member

Rookie years, better player:

FG% Zach
    3pt% Zach
    Ft% Zach
    TS% Zach
    Reb rate Zach
    Assist rate Zach
    Steals rate Zach
    BPM Zach (but shtty)
    WS Zach (but shtty)

2point% Jalen
    Pts per 36 Jalen
    VORP Jalen (but shtty)
    FT rate Jalen

Zach was a bit ahead of Green in almost everything. Green needs to shoot half as many threes until he ups his 3pt%. If his 3pt% doesn't improve by leaps and bounds then his ability to be more than a starter is halted. Why do you think his 3pt% will improve greatly?

8. fchowd0311

Their scoring efficiency difference is almost nearly identical. Their ts% and efg% are different by 1%.

Their efficiency was essentially a wash with Green outputing 5 more ppg. If Lavine matched Green's attempts, I'm betting his scoring efficiency would drop as that's usually the trend. When the same player ramps up their attempts their efficiency will drop.

So Jalen is scoring 5 more ppg on the same scoring efficiency.

Advanced stats like win shares and VORP are useless for 19 year olds on **** teams.

Also there are 27 games left for Green in his rookie year which means there is a really good chance his current numbers will improve as I assume a 19 year old rookie will usually have a better second half of althe season than first half as they are slightly more used to the league.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We would all be happy if Green developed Crawford's handle and shot. With his athleticism, that player would be a multiple time all-star.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you look at what Green put up as a 19 year old in his rookie season in isolation of everything else, people would feel he's really promising and would be excited about the potential.

It's only because everyone is comparing him to Mobley and have this great expectation because of that they are so unhappy. I think we as fans need to let it go and accept that we have Jalen Green, and just be excited about what he can do and enough watching him grow.

I certainly think he's going to be a lot better than Jamal Crawford lol

Nelly, BigMaloe, Shark44 and 5 others like this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Green's season isn't over yet. Many rookies, Lavine included, shoot better in the second half of their rookie year. That's part of the development process. Zach shot 26% from deep in the first 39 games of his rookie year, he shot 39.6% in his last 39 games.

BigMaloe, xaos and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. That's the first thing I was trying figure out. Maybe it's an inverse correlation? :D

I don't know how they treated multiple winners, and didn't read the link, but for the sake of simplicity :

28 of the 78 players who won ROY got a ring. That means only 36% of the ones who got ROY went on to get a ring.
    17 of the 78 players who won ROY were named MVP at least once. That means only 22% of them won an MVP.
    14 of the eligible 78 players who won ROY are in the Hall of Fame. That means only 18% of them are in the HOF.

There you have it... don't win a ROY if you want to be a legend! lol. I'm just saying that tongue-in-cheek. Data is so abused. :D

Nelly, Mathloom and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. jogo

jogo Member

On my end, I'm seeing Green scores 1.8 ppg more per 100 possessions so I'm not sure where you get 5 more ppg.

Regardless, you didn't answer why you felt his 3PT% would improve. Just because he will improve the second half of the season over the first? Green is a streaky shooter and if he doesn't become a good shooter then his upside is limited. Lavine and Crawford both shot 4 or 5 % better than Green did their first year from 3. If he needs to take fewer 3 pointers to up his % then he should take fewer 3 pointers.

14. jogo

jogo Member

I think we have 27 more games this season. What do you think Green's 3pt% will be over those games? What will it be at the end of the year?

15. fchowd0311

I got 5 more ppg from....

PPG.

If Green averages 1.8 more ppg per 100 possessions than Lavine in their respective rookie campaigns that means Green is scoring more efficiently. I don't know how that helps your argument.

So Green scores 1.8ppg more per 100 possessions even with his worst 3 pt shooting numbers. Which is a good thing because it's easier to improve shooting than improving things like ftr and finishing at the rim.

So Green his rookie year was a better scorer than Lavine his rookie year. Thanks for being up pts per 100 possessions to solidify my argument.

I don't know if Green will dramatically improve as a shooter but Green still was a better scorer than Lavine in rookie year by a small margin. Not saying it's a large difference. But obviously his bad 3pt shooting isn't enough to offset his advantage in other areas in scoring to score more per possession.

MrButtocks likes this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My prediction would be pointless. Might as well throw a dart at a wall with percentages on it. The point is that you're comparing rookie season stats when Green's isn't over yet, when rookies often adjust and improve as the season progresses. If you wanted to better compare the two maybe you could compare Lavine's first 40 games to Green's first 40 so far.

Even if Green has a better rookie season than Lavine that doesn't mean he'll be better than Lavine down the line. Bargnani had a better rookie season than Nowitski in many statistical categories, but he did not end up being Dirk 2.0 to say the least.

Nelly and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Many of the players went a few years of college.

Exclude the players that went more than two years of college / overseas

Physical maturity plays a factor....some players are more mature at age 21 or 22.
    David Robinson, Duncan, etc.

How many 19 year olds have won ROTY?
    This year will probably be year one of the trend.

#37 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    fchowd0311 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

$10 says @D-rock necrobumps this the moment Mobley is announced as ROY.

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Jamal Crawfords game and JGs game are nothing alike? Maybe what you are saying is in terms of impact on the game as a possible 6th man?

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no we passed on alperen sengun 100% future HOF

we could have had roy just if we have given him the PT

or if we had any idea how to do proper conditioning if you gonna throw the bs stamina argument at me