1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winfrey: We owe victims apology

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohen, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...ey0705sep07,0,6151480.story?coll=orl-caltvtop

Do we really? For what? Electing a President who hired an incompetent FEMA adminsitrator? That's about all I can contemplate, then that would only be half of us, so it couldn't be that since we all apparently owe an apology.

Any ideas WTH she meant?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

She owes the country an apology for putting on a crappy talk show for 19 years...

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[SNARK]i say to hell with FEMA. next time there's a natural disaster let's just deploy Oprah and Sean Penn.[/SNARK]

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hey Oprah !

How about donating about 100 million of your billions...then you have some credibility.

I am fairly certain that the majority of people on this BBS have donated more of their net worth than this cow.

SHEESH !

DD

5. Major

Major Member

Since you know so much, please tell what she has donated?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my wife recorded her show that was on yesterday. very difficult to watch. she went down with others to NOLA during all of this mess...the pictures were horrible.

oprah has a history of writing big checks...taking care of other people. she's an easy target, but i believe she's sincere.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Using Katrina for her show seems a bit unseemly.

8. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Are you serious? Dude, I respect most of your post no matter if I agree with them or not, but you could have kept that one to yourself... :rolleyes:
    I am sure Oprah will assist and have assisted more needy people than anyone you can name. Like her show or not, you cannot discredit what she has done for people who are less fortunate than her....

9. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

But when everyone else uses 9/11 for there cause it is all good? :rolleyes:

Edit: Not to bag on you, I am just saying in general. I think Oprah's show is a great outlet for the victims stories to be told. No politics or spin from the CNN or FOX heads. Of course, her ratings will probably go up. Do you really think she needs that though. Oprah can quit her day job and live off simple interest alone. I think she is sincere in her help. She never takes, she always gives. So JuanValdez my statement was not directed at you in an aggressive manner. Sorry if it seemed that way. :)

#9 u851662, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Oprah is taking advantage of this hurrican crisis as well. Her "hurricane" specials on her show are decent that she is reuniting families and friends, but don't think for one second that she doesn't know what it is doing for her ratings.

It's a good thing that celebs are helping out, they really do bring the morale up for people who have lost everything. But complaining about the crisis isn't needed, it just makes things worst. They need as much help as they can possibly get, complaining that things are slow and that they need an apology are making things any better.

11. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I'm not crazy about Oprah, but she is one of the most generous people in America. I'll applaud Sean Penn as well. He could've stayed in the comforts of his home, instead he's on location helping out. Kudos to him and all the men and women there.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Sounds good to me.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have no idea, I just don't like Oprah and her whiny ways.......

If she donates...good....she should.....

14. Major

Major Member

She's in a position to use her fame to make a huge difference in all sorts of charitable causes, and she consistently does that probably more than any other celebrity out there.

15. Zion

Zion Member

That's a surprise.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Oprah is one of the worst things that has happened to the nation in the past 20 years.

I absolutely can not stand her. She has popularized and made acceptable the idea of over dramatizing everything. I understand if she has had a rough past and needs to make everything a huge drama for herself in order to motivate herself to get through it, but she has popularized that kind of mentality, and it is detrimental to society as a whole.

The woman would make finding a front row spot at the grocery store an amazing ordeal that she triumphed over great personal emotion and perserverence in order to find that spot, and now that it is done she is just so thankful that it all worked out at last.

I can't stand it.

I'm not saying she is over dramatizing the hurricane, but that is her general MO.

She is over dramatizing the role everyone played in the ordeal of NO and what we owe apologies for. That is her typical style, and it horrible, and rotten that she has popularized that as an acceptable and even honor worthy method of conducting folks lives.

There are individuals that might need that to function, but it is a pain the a$* for large numbers of people to behave that way.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Ding ding ding!!! A 'liberal' bashing another 'liberal'! No 'if', 'however', 'i can understand'. Can you conservatives do that to your fellow conservatives?

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Interviewing the mayor and the police is cool. Interviewing refugees/evacuees/survivors is fine. Staging reunions and bringing out a "celebrity physician" (whatever that is) and making grand accusations of who needs to apologize to whom is grandstanding and base, and I don't appreciate it. I don't need my heartstrings tugged, this disaster has been hard enough as it is.

19. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I can.

Bush Sr. should have finished the war back in 91. He damaged our country for generations because he took his foot off of that animal's throat.

20. insane man

insane man Member

i agree but was this not done after september 11th to an extreme magnitude?