1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows OS Tablet Consideration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Damion Laverne, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Damion Laverne

Are there any good ones out there that are reasonably priced? Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My son has the ASUS Slate and likes it. He uses it quite often and it has come in handy with his law school. Now whether or not you consider $1000-$1500 reasonably priced is for you to decide.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Samsung series 7 slate. If you're in Houston go to the Microsoft store in the galaria, they have a great selection of tablets/slates.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You just like the alliterative nature of the Samsung. :)

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Either get a Acer Iconia Tab W500 or HP Slate 500 if you have the cash to waste and put Windows 8 DP on it. I wouldn't recommend getting a Windows tablet at this time because there will be tons of Windows 8 Tablets next year that are properly made for an ARM version.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rq4J_jDFEZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7kvA2Qt_Ods" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly!... I think that's part of the reason I want to buy a Ford Focus, that way it matches my Samsung Focus S.

I really like what Samsung has done, plus their screens are unmatched...

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wait a bit for the Windows 8 tablets to hit the market. That's when you'll start seeing the really sexy machines.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm with Harrisment on this one.

I travel a lot and really want a Windows tablet as well (and I can't have an iPad), but Windows 8 will be amazing for it. I've tried a Samsung Series 7 with the developer preview of Windows 8 on it and it rocks, however the developer preview is a VERY early build so I wouldn't recommend it right now.

If you buy a tablet or slate now you can of course upgrade to Windows 8 (and beta later), but Windows 7 just isn't designed for touch use. It will frustrate you more than it will please you. I almost bought a Series 7 and may when the Windows 8 beta comes out in February.

If the Windows 8 tablets make you drool, check out the HTC Titan... it'll keep you occupied until next summer. Disclaimer, I work for Microsoft, but Windows Phone 7 effing rocks regardless of what people say.

Also, Samsung is now the market leader in Windows notebooks in my opinion. I bought my nephew a Series 7 laptop a few weeks ago for his birthday. It has the same specs as my Lenovo but out performs it while looking far more elegant in the process (it was cheaper too).

9. Svpernaut

Microsoft/Ford Sync FTW.

10. Svpernaut

Sorry for the three consecutive posts, forgot I can't edit. Anyway, you bring up a good point.

There will be two separate platforms for Windows 8. The mobile devices that run on ARM will ONLY have the Metro UI version of Windows 8, you won't be able to access the underlying classic desktop on these devices. Think of these as direct competitors to the iPad and Android tablets.

The more expensive tablets with Core i5/i7 processors will be fully functioning PCs with a fancy touch interface overlay. Throw on a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and they fully replace a laptop, some of them will even do some hefty gaming... these are the devices I think the masses will clamor for, as the iPad just doesn't fill this gap.

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

A lot of people been b****ing about Windows 8 but from what I've seen so far it will be a hit. I mean take a look at what they have done with the XBOX 360 and the Metro UI Dashboard update recently. It's becoming the ultimate entertainment machine and with the release of Windows 8 I think it will solidified what they are trying to do is to incorporate all the media and games which will be a big hit. I've been using Windows 8 DP on my other machine and I love it. I can't wait until February for the Beta.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love me some Microsoft, but that Sync system has had all kinds of issues from what I've read. Ford's been getting knocked down on quality/reliability ratings because of it.

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Go with the Samsung lol. I do like the nature of the Sammy :)

14. Svpernaut

People b**** about Windows 8 because they don't understand it. The developer preview was meant for developers only, to get them hyped about designing touch-centric apps using the Metro interface. It was not, nor was it meant to be a fully functioning beta of Windows 8. Getting PC developers that have been developing for keyboards and mice their entire adult lives to think "touch centric" apps would be a big hurdle, thus the release of the developer preview and free slates for all of the developers who went to /build.

If people don't like the Windows 8 interface, they can and will be able to disable it (except on ARM devices). Microsoft is not going to force the Metro UI on anyone who doesn't want it (think enterprise customers). We'll know far more about the state of Windows 8 in February with the beta release. I can't freaking wait.

As you touched on, Microsoft is finally fleshing out the converge of all of their products, an idea Bill Gates preached as far back as 1994 in a Playboy interview. Xbox is no longer a device, it is a brand, and a brand that they are going to integrate into all of they consumer devices, including PCs and phones. I imagine the next version of Xbox to be released will be a "complete" set top box with all of the functionality of a Roku, Apple TV and Slingbox in the form factor of a gaming console.

I travel every week, and rent exclusively Fords from Avis because of Sync. in the past month I've had a Ford Explorer, Ford Taurus and a Ford Fusion all with Sync, and all configured differently (some touch screen, some not). I can plug my Zune HD directly in to it or I can sync my Windows Phone via Bluetooth and access the music on both. The voice commands like the play song and hands free calling work fantastic (just like the WP7). I've also tested it with iPhones and Androids with co-workers.

With the exception of one name+number type in my contact list that it refuses to comprehend (example: Mary Madson Mobile), it works great for me. I'm a fan boy, but I'd have no problems calling Sync out if it sucked. There is a reason that Toyota basically abandoned their own voice system and teamed up with Sync, they've also won industry praise for Sync.

If someone struggles with Sync they are doing it wrong. If you don't know what to say, the car tells you what to say. As an example, if you say "Call Mom" it will then say "Choose the number you'd like to call Mom with." After you choose the number it will say, "Next time you can say "Call Mom mobile."

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Can these windows 8 tablets run native windows programs or will they have to be tablet specific?

16. Svpernaut

The Intel-based Windows 8 tablets will run both the Metro UI designed touch apps, as well as full version of the apps you already know and love. The ARM-based versions will not have access to the classic/native desktop, and will only run the Metro UI designed touch apps.

Think of it like this, the Intel tablets will be fully functioning laptops that happen to have a touch interface overlay, while the ARM tablets will be direct competitors to the iPad and Kindle Fire.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. The struggles are the thing is locking up and they have to reboot their navigation unit in the middle of use. That's a lot different than people using it wrong. The issues Ford has had with myTouch and Sync are known problems that Ford has acknowledged and is rolling out fixes for. You must have used holy units. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/fords-second-gen-sync-system-off-to-a-buggy-start/
    http://blogs.automobilemag.com/ford-focus-dont-mytouch-9659.html
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/mytouch-could-sink-ford-–-on-the-j-d-power-ranking/
    http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed/2011/06/24/myford-touch-apparently-really-really/

18. Svpernaut

I drove a Ford Explorer with the exact same system to and from Dallas for two two weeks with no issues. Not saying that there aren't issues, but I didn't experience any of them in a 2011 Explorer with the Sync + Navigation system. I probably spent a total of 30 hours in the car over two weeks using Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, Zune connectivity and the GPS.

Most cars with Sync do NOT have the navigation system as well.

Also, all of those posts are from sites with page ranks of three or less. I'm not saying that their reporting is shotty, as AutoBlog is fairly well-known... just saying if there were real issues on a large scale I'd think we'd see coverage on larger media outlets (like the current Ford tire recall). It is software, it is going to have bugs. The stories are also very old so I imagine most of the kinks have already been worked out.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Automobile and Autoblog are 2 industry heavyweights when it comes to automotive reporting, so I couldn't care less about their page ranks. lol. If you want, I can find similar reports for you from higher page-ranked sites. :grin:

Read the comments on the Automobile Mag article and you'll see people stating the issues they've had with the vehicle as recently as 2-4 months ago. Read the Sync and other Ford forums and you'll see people still having issues with it.

As for "it is software, it is going to have bugs", that's the last thing I want to hear when I make a $20-$40,000+ purchase and am driving on interstates looking for directions.

You don't work for Ford, do you? jk. ;)