1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AMS, Oct 13, 2014.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Anyone download the Technical Preview for Windows 10 yet?

I just installed it on 2 of my (old) computers, and I must say, so far so good. Especially for something that is not ready for production.

I like the new start menu, and the new and improved DOS screen (Command prompt)

The file explorer and "This PC" is a little bothersome; I just want "My Computer" back.

But overall, A-

Definitely much better than the Windows 8 preview I installed last time.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Is it better than Windows 7 Professional?

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Better than Windows 8.

:grin:

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wow, Windows 7 and Windows 8 getting replaced that quickly.
    XP lasted for YEARS.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've been running it for a few weeks now on my primary work machine. The upgrade from Win8.1 went really smooth, and I haven't run into any issues yet. I agree that it's very stable so far, especially considering it is a preview. The return of the start menu will I'm sure be a welcome addition for many people.

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I can't really think of anything that's missing or incomplete when using 10 after using Windows 7 at work all day. So I would say it is if nothing else, comparable.

Obviously they have new features in 10 such as the start menu with tiles; at first it was kind of annoying, but its actually quite useful.

Also, one thing I never liked is having to log into Windows using a microsoft account (hotmail, outlook, msn)

I think you stilll have to do that when installing, but can disable that pretty quickly once its all set and done.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

One negative: The integration with the earlier mentioned Microsoft Accounts. I wish it was more like Android, where you can enable your account to be synced up using Microsoft credentials, but you arent forced to log into the computer using that username/pw combination.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Meh, they'll never be able to top Windows 9.

1 person likes this.
  9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'll probably install a fresh copy on a partitioned drive to try it out. Just from the screens and stuff that I've seen, it looks pretty sleek.

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Don't be fooled, windows 10 is windows 8 service pack 2.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ah like windows 7 is to vista.

I've liked windows 10 thus far. I switched from 7 to 10 on my desktop. It's been nice to be able to run some modern apps while still having the feel of 7.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The herd at Microsoft needs to show they are doing *some* work.

I dont really care for a few nifty UI improvements if it comes at the cost of stability.

I just want a really stable OS that can run my diverse collection of software which is why it took me a long time to upgrade from Windows XP pro and will also take me a while to upgrade from Windows 7 pro.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also XP was never meant to last that long. That's why it had holes, that's why it had sooo many problems. MS tried to kill it 3 separate times. MS also wanted to move to more updates, that are smaller updates as well. They wanted something similar to the service pack model, but more like OSX. I like what 10 could bring to the market at large.

This piece by Motley fool is rather interesting. It talks about how 10 could be a good buy for the healthcare field:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...softs-windows-10-means-for-mobile-health.aspx

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I just downloaded and installed Windows 10 after your post. It's pretty legit yo. I like it.

15. dragician

dragician Member

I still like XP.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Windows 7 came out 5 years ago, and XP had been out for 5 years before Vista.

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Get used to it as Microsoft has said they will be quicker to release new versions of their OS.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think they want to move to a more yearly release schedule..

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Correct. You'll also see more frequent releases of the enterprise platform products like SQL, SharePoint, etc.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I'm confused. Was there ever a windows 9? is window 10 geared towards tablets?