1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rage, Jul 16, 2015.

1. rage

rage Member

I am looking to buy a PC with Windows 10 and have not found any reviews . What do you recommend? Prefer desk top but can consider labtop, <$500.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

1.) What will you primarily be using this for?
    2.) Why do you want Windows ten?
    3.) You will always get more bang for your buck out of a desktop, so you need to decide if mobility is important to you.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was curious about the 3rd as well . . . I think i need to invest in a desktop.

I was wondering if the Win10 will be a resource hog
    Alot of concern about Bloatware etc.

Rocket River

4. rage

rage Member

1) Just basic stuffs, email, internet, tax, documents, no gaming for sure.
    2) Windows 10 because it is new. You don't want older OS, do you?
    3) Iffy, yes and no. I do have an older laptop. I don't use it often, mostly when I go on vacation.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, I would prefer an older OS.

Software gets better over time, not worse.

6. what

what Member

If you have a video card that can support directx12 (even though directx12 is supposedly backwards compatible) then windows 10 is supposed to be faster and more efficient than anything Microsoft has put out since windows 7.

7. cebu

cebu Member

stay with windows 7.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

If you buy any Windows whatever PC right now, I'm sure Windows will prompt you for a free upgrade to Windows 10. You just have to input your e-mail address.

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Probably won't be able to find a pc with windows 10 built in until about the holiday season. Microsoft cut it too close so manufacturers don't have time to test it. Likely it will be a windows 8.1 with the free windows 10 upgrade.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 all upgrade to Windows 10.
    So... there almost literally isn't a laptop you can buy (Windows brand) that will fail to update to Windows 10 for free.

Microsoft has confirmed there will be machines with Windows 10 on sale in stores when July 29th hits.
    (Probably just Windows Surfaces at first)

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Ah. Just read that the news on this came out yesterday. Interesting. Something about this process is making me nervous. I want 10 to be amazing. But it just seems like it could havea lot of flaws initially. I'll for sure install on my home pc. Probably not my work one. Yet.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Bloatware is easy enough to solve, just do a fresh install if and when you buy a new PC, or make sure you buy a PC from their Signature Edition line. Most high-end PCs will have limited bloatware if any, you find it more relevant on the low-end where profit margins are next to nothing.

As for resource hog, Windows 10 continues the trend since Vista - where it is actually more resource efficient than it's predecessor. An example of one of the improvements is that they rebuilt the entire GUI on top of their XAML framework (an XML based design language) which makes it much faster and stable.

Correct, all consumer Windows 7 and 8/8.1 PCs will receive the upgrade free if they'd like.

What in the world are you talking about? Microsoft's hardware partners have had builds to develop their systems and drivers for, for nearly a year. Windows 10 also went Gold about a month before it's official release - which is nearly identical to every major Windows release since 95 (with the exception of Vista, which Microsoft re-wrote from the ground up late in the game).

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Windows 10 looks awesome

14. rage

rage Member

I so far have only seen ads from Dell advertising PC loaded with Windows 10 promised to deliver on 7/29. Is Dell a good purchase?
    Is there any specific hardware required to run windows 10?

15. Awesome

Awesome Member

Here is a video of it someone has also with it working with xbox 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BXIVRR_yQZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_TplYw-JkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. RESINator

RESINator Member