1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Actually it was Burr's daughter, also named Theodosia, who was lost at sea (most likely the victim of pirates).

D-rock likes this.
  2. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Right or wrong this might be the best guess to a cryptic message ever

Deuce, joshuaao, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  4. basketballholic

IF ...... James Johnson were on this roster, he'd be the backup small ball center.

5. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

The lyric does say “Doctors finding many ways.......to keep us from the Heat”. Could mean we’re looking at trade partners other than the Heat or other teams are interfering with our trade interests with the Heat. Last line could also be meaningless and poster might just be referring to the first line in terms of Melo signing.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No question. I mean, getting James Johnson would be super helpful because he can play backup PF and small ball C just like PJ Tucker. And in a pinch can play SF against some of the slower/bigger SFs in the league.

We love Tucker and he is dependable, but if he goes down with an injury this team is sunk. They have no backup for what he does (with Ariza/Luc gone). Johnson mitigates that.

So yeah, Johnson would get a lot of backup C minutes and less Nene. And really Hartenstein isn't ready.

Really hope the Rockets get James Johnson. He would be VERY usable in a GSW series.

7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Sign dwade. I think he wants to beat big 6. He can act as ray allen to help us hit the score in game 6 and game 7. Morey must sign him.

8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Dwade is a chemical action to make anotony active. Make him feel like playing olympic basketball

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of the Miami Heat or James Johnson. Some, like basically most other teams in the NBA aside from the Rockets, but certainly not as much as the better teams or even crappier teams with more exciting young players.

So I guess I could use a good scouting report on him.

That said, statistically, he doesn't play a lot of center minutes. Like almost none last year, though the year before he did put in some time there.

Also statistically, he's just a meh three point shooter. Tucker seems average there, but was 37% last year, 36% the year before, a down year at 33% before that, but 34.5% and 39% the two years before that. Pretty consistent track record of 35% or higher. James barely cracked 30% last year. On wide open threes (no defender within 6 feet) he shot 35%. On every other type he was horrible. At least he knew he wasn't hitting. Two years ago in his best year he managed 36% when wide open and 36% when mostly open (defender 4-6 feet away). At least its logical... he's an ok at best 3 point shooter when open. I guess the good news is he'd be getting open threes in our system.

Also statistically he's not a great rebounder. Kind of troubling, though Tucker wasn't THAT much better last year.

He always has relatively decent defensive metrics, though, and higher assist numbers than you'd otherwise expect.

So he's kind of like a VERY VERY VERY light version of a Draymond Green??

I'd take him... just not sure if he moves the needle a ton beyond the certainly correct point that there's always a need for injury replacement.

I say all this relative to the "maybe Ryan Anderson can come back and hit 2 open threes a game alternative".... which is probably a pipe dream of a hope, but if possible something I think might be more valuable off the bench, if the team is healthy.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Please, please, don't think this way. CyberX, Clutch, Bima, Cat, Batman,AB, Duece, Doc, Ch44 and many others should be listened to/read on every post. Clutchfans is awesome in the sense that its members are incredibly intelligent and have great information about a variety of Rockets/NBA/Life topics.

I'm just a guy with friendships and relationships, along with the privilege of having "ears" in some consistently-awesome situations in this beautiful league/game.

Xo

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We are always praying for your health.
    TC, Cod.

D-rock, BigMaloe, itzIce and 7 others like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anyone with IG want to check in on this?

Just remember, James Johnson + Dion Waiters salary matches Ryan Anderson + Min Contract (e.g. Vince Edwards or Hartenstein or Zhou)

D-rock, BigMaloe, BigggReddd and 9 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I.D.I.O.T.

DonKnock and whiskeyred like this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While I love James Johnson size and defensive ability, that 25% from 3 from one of the two corners, scares the hell out of me.

That can be a big liability on our offense.

But if it means no Ryan Anderson on this team then bring it on!

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Waiters has like 3 posts.
    The comments confirm that both guys delete their photos later, regularly.

D-rock, saleem and joshuaao like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When it comes to "role players" they won't be perfect or check all of the boxes. If they did check all of the boxes they would be all stars.

Rockets need role players to fill voids of need and be efficient in their defined role. James Johnson would do that. And I bet his corner 3 would end up being more than serviceable.

Possum and D-rock like this.
  18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Check out his short chart from 2016-17. 53% from the right corner three! Just gotta keep him far, far away from the left corner hah

D-rock and Zboy like this.
  19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Actually quite consistently good from that right corner (facing the basket): 42% five year average (54/129). Equally consistent is how bad he has been form that left corner... 29% (28/96).

Meanwhile, guess who is better the other way around?

James Ennis III
    Right corner: 4Y total 36% (28/78)
    Left corner: 4Y total 43% (35/82), excluding first year, 3Y total 48% (29/60)

Also,

PJ Tucker is balanced on these two spots.

Carmelo, OTOH, likes to shoot 3s away from the corner.

Very interesting roster construction in terms of 3pt shooting coverage.

Deuce, D-rock, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Dion waiters makes for an already crowded backcourt....