1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Johnson and Winslow doesn't get MIA under the lux tax which is the point of the trade. Waiters has to be included if you don't think they would trade Richardson(I agree). And I don't see why HOU wouldn't do it. You get a contributor in Johnson and Waiters who is $13M dead weight. That is better than Anderson who is $21M dead weight and no contributors. With MIA getting under the lux, saving money, and dumping Waiters, they would probably need to include a pick as well.

joshuaao and Why not? like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If that's the goal then it would simply be an extremely difficult deal to pull off.

I could see a 3 team deal happening if Miami wants to do something like pay the Kings to take Waiters or perhaps move Olynyk out for a pick elsewhere. Houston needs to shed cap themselves, us taking back an additional 5 mill per season with an additional 3rd year by taking a Johnson/Waiter or Olynyk combo just wouldn't make sense.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

HOU is a contender so they are committed to paying the tax, like GS, TOR, OKC, BOS(once their rookie deals are up). What you can't have is $20m dead weight going to waste. That is a huge disadvantage going up against other tax paying teams who have $140m payroll all contributing. By taking back Waiters, you are taking back $5M more per season total, lessen the dead weight to $13M from $21M, and putting Johnson's $15M to work.

Of course if we can get Olynyk or Richardson that would be great. Waiters is just the only one that makes sense from Miami's perspective.

seeingred and jch1911 like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Two reasons why Rockets should get James Johnson for next season:

1. LAL - Lebron James

2. GSW - Demarcus Cousins

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Houston didn't care about tax then Ariza would still be a Rocket right now.

We can pay lux tax for exceptional additions, but not guys like Johnson and Waiters who are both considerably overpaid on 3-year deals. They simply aren't worth an extra 5 mil per season over the next 2 years with an additional whopping 3rd yeard of 28.5 million, especially when Johnson (the fruit of the trade) will be 34 years old. That would just be a terrible position for Houston to put themselves in. I like Johnson a lot but he's going to be making 16 mill at 34, and more importantly, Waiters is a vet min player making 35 million over the next 3 seasons.

Like I said, Waiters to a 3rd team for space/expiring, maybe a deal could be made, him coming here would be a disaster.

If they want to give us Johnson + Olynyk then maybe, but I wouldn't throw a pick in for that.

#85 ThatBoyNick, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    smoothie and Chamillionaire like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Great news! He actually has to be moved, no way after that shitshow last season was he going to produce if he wants to play at all. He behaved so unprofessionally, it was one of the most terrible sabotage jobs I've seen. If he was a star, he would be getting destroyed by the media.

As far as our targets:
    Bazemore is not a great defender, neither is Batum but I can see us getting Bazemore, MKG is way too one-dimensional and Marvin Williams makes sense and a player I think can thrive here, but not sure he's good enough. Portland's Harkless would be good and I could see us getting him if we take on a bad contract of Portland. James Johnson I personally have no interest in, but I see why he would be a good guy to have. He comes across as a straight up thug though, in the mold of Barnes and Bowen. And please no, for the sake of the viewer, no Olynyk! This guy is so ugly, I couldn't stand watching that alien head on our team.

7. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

No , we dont run the same strict iso. We have a system. Carroll fits really well into brooklyn. Brooklyns offense was very similar to houston most of the season without the defense. Carroll fits here perfectly. You people confuse playoff offense with how we run things. Everything slowed down in the playoffs. It was a grind. We didnt play like that all season.

8. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Miami loves Olynyk so that is unrealistic. Though you calling him ugly thus not wanting him is effin stupid. He is a solid player that can shoot from deep and rebound. Does all kinds of things to contribute.

Why not? likes this.
  9. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

clutchdabear, Why not? and saleem like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Signing Ariza doesn't get rid of Anderson. They would be $40m over the lux tax. Just because they are willing to pay it doesn't mean they will pay any price, obviously the lower the better.

They don't need Johnson to be an exceptional addition to pay the tax, because they are already going to pay it with Anderson. Getting something useful for deadweight means you have to pay the price(Waiters).

Again I'm responding to the OP which claims the Rockets are willing to take on long term money for Anderson. That obviously means the other team is dumping money since Anderson has negative value.

Deuce, Bobsputin and bilaal14 like this.
  11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

He was the 6th ranked SG in DRPM (.96). On a terrible team, that is pretty solid. His ORPM was only (.22) making him way down the list. He had more of an impact on defense last year than offense team wise.

12. kevtse

kevtse Member

No need to rush and trade Anderson now. We will get much better assets when we trade him by the trade deadline. His expiring contract will be valuable.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

honestly it just looks like bad night for king rather than superb defense that forced him to play bad

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

15. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

bilaal14 likes this.
  16. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

I would love to get JJ, he and Melo won't back down from nobody. We're to soft right now.

17. Chamillionaire

Nene ain't soft.
    Gerald Green ain't either.
    [​IMG]

#97 Chamillionaire, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Why not? and hakeem94 like this.
  18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Waiters is that dude... I don’t know why ppl hating.
    Johnson is over payed and a bit old but I would love him on this squad.

I would do this deal. No picks from either team.

Why not? and hakeem94 like this.
  19. macan

macan Member

any good defensive wing with a longer contract?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Waiters strikes me one of those guys that play similar to Eric Gordon, can give you 15-16 points.

But Eric is better.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.