1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

This was the 8 man rotation GSW were running at us, when fully healthy:

Curry
    Thompson
    Iguodala
    Durant
    Green
    Looney
    Young
    Livingston

Young is gone (replaced in the rotation by Cook? Jerebko?), and Looney will likely see the bench with the arrival of Cousins/breakout of Jordan Bell.

Our playoff lineup was...
    Paul
    Harden
    Ariza
    Tucker
    Capela
    Gordon
    Green
    Mbah Moute

We had 3 guards, 4 switchable forwards, and 1 traditional big. We lost both Ariza and LMAM over the off-season.

We've added Ennis, who can fulfill the role of Ariza (less length, more athletic - not going to be a perfect transition). Now our biggest need is to find a replacement for Luc. I really am digging all the talk of James Johnson - he can handle the rock, is strong enough to hang in the post but long enough to bother opposing wings and maybe even guards. Bazemore seems like a great match as well but I worry he may be too small to bother guys like Durant. Can his wingspan make up for it? Thoughts? Batum seems to have fallen off but I think he'd be a good get too. Whatever it takes to turn Anderson into someone who can contribute. Speaking of Ryno, nabbing Anthony would be a sweet bonus as he is essentially a playable version of the shooting forward. He's more mobile, more capable of rotating appropriately, and can create his own shot as a bonus.

A potential 2019 playoff bout could be...

Chris Paul --- Stephen Curry
    James Harden --- Klay Thompson
    Carmelo Anthony --- Kevin Durant
    PJ Tucker --- Draymond Green
    Clint Capela --- DeMarcus Cousins
    Eric Gordon --- Shaun Livingston
    James Ennis --- Andre Iguodala
    Gerald Green --- Quinn Cook
    James Johnson/Nicolas Batum --- Jonas Jerebko/Jordan Bell

We'd have a puncher's chance, to be sure.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Idk, James Johnson seems like a starter to me. But I guess, we have to appease Melo so it is what it is......Man I really think this guy is what we need.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

When push comes to shove it's this...

CP3 vs Curry
    EG vs Thompson
    Harden vs Durant
    Melo vs Green
    Capela vs Cousins

One death lineup vs another. In this scenario we have a punchers chance too.

Ramathorn006 likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wouldn't say Scrubs. They are overpaid Super Role players IMO. Any player on the Miami roster would help the Rockets tremendously. Everyone except Whiteside.

hakeem94, 18pbr, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

I feel that the wing player needs to be able to shoot the 3. James Johnson really can't shoot the 3 too well. If the Rockets are going to beat the Warriors, they will have to hit the 3.

Here's how I see it. Kevin Durant is going to get a mismatch and exploit it no matter what. He's going to score, and nobody is going to stop him. So here is the question when choosing between a wing player:

What is more important? Hitting the 3 or being a taller player? Take Bazemore and Johnson for example. James Johnson is a bigger player and *may* be more effective guarding Durant than Bazemore because Bazemore isn't very big. But Bazemore is a great defender, so James Johnson's length against Durant may *slightly* help him in defending Durant. But in my opinion, the difference in their defense will be negligible against Durant. They both play good defense, and Johnson's added height may only be negligible vs. Durant. But on offense, I think Bazemore's ability to hit the 3 at a MUCH higher clip would be incredibly useful against the Warriors, and would be a net positive compared to James Johnson.

Particularly if you want PJ Tucker being a dog at the end of games, you'd need to pair him with a wing who can shoot.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

PJ Tucker is absolutely part of our Death Lineup.

craguin, Deuce, Richie_Rich and 7 others like this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey about to blow us all away.

jch1911, BigMaloe, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  8. Chamillionaire

Now that Ariza and LMM are both gone, Tucker is by far our best defender. Whatever our death lineup is, he is definitely a big part of that.

craguin and saleem like this.
  9. basketballholic

1. It is significant.
    2. It doesn't mean a deal is going to happen.
    3. Morey is always shopping, and always talking trade with any other teams that will listen and/or talk.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

James Johnson would be an amazing return for Ryno. Why would Miami trade him though?

francis 4 prez likes this.
  11. Nachobar

Nachobar Where’s my chips?

It’s going to be fine.

yixiixiy, Deuce, dlite316 and 5 others like this.
  12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

3 team: HOU; MIA; SAC

MIA: Ryan Anderson (HOU) + 2019 1st (HOU) (unprotected) + Deyonta Davis (SAC) + rights to Vince Edwards (HOU) + $1.5M cash (from SAC)
    Miami gets out of LT for this year. Plus it takes on $40 over next two years vs. $81M over the next three years. Miami sacrifices its 1st, but acquires Houston's. In essence, Miami sacrifices about 15 draft spots to save over $40M. Miami uses Sacramento's cash (that it acquired from Memphis) to buy out Davis. Edwards' rights convince Miami to pull the trigger. Anderson is a floor spacer for Whiteside.

SAC: Dion Waiters (MIA) + 2019 1st (MIA) (top 15 protected) [pick conveys in 2020 if not 2019]
    Sacramento picks up a 1st round pick (probably just outside of the lottery) in exchange for taking on Waiters' contract. Plus they were apparently looking for another wing player. Win-win. They still will probably have ability to generate one max salary cap slot next year - if they want to.

HOU: James Johnson (MIA)
    Houston picks up last piece that can legit make the playoff roster 10 deep. Htine ship!

Use MLE to pay Ariza & Tyson Chandler after they are bought out by Phoenix. (Cut MCW; stash Qi or Hartenstein or Melton on IR)

Regular Season Minutes (pure guestimates)
    PG CP3 (28) - Beard (10) - EGo (8) - MCW (2)
    SG Beard (20) - EGo (20) - Menace (4) - GG (2) - Melton (2)
    SF Johnson (20) - Menace (18) - Tucker (6) - GG (4)
    PF Melo (26) - Tucker (14) - Johnson (4) - Hartenstein (2) - Qi (2)
    C Capela (28) - Nene (12) - Tucker (4) - Qi (2) - Hartenstein (2)

Playoff Minutes
    CP3 (32) - Beard (10) - EGo (6)
    Beard (24) - EGo (16) - Menace (8)
    Johnson (22) - Ariza (16) - Menace (10)
    Melo (26) - Tucker (20) - Johnson (2)
    Capela (26) - Nene (11) - Chandler (11)

Lineups
    Justice League: CP3 - Menace - Johnson - Melo - Nene
    Avengers: Beard - EGo - GG - Tucker - Capela
    Garbage time: MCW - Melton - GG - Hartenstein - Qi
    "Death": CP3 - Beard - EGo - Melo (offense) / Johnson (defense) - Tucker
    Straight D (TWSS): CP3 - Menace - Johnson - Tucker - Capela
    Offense: Harden - EGo - GG - Melo - Tucker

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They won't,do it for RA. For EG maybe. That's not worth it in my opinion. I hope the EG extension contract talks are going well.

mockster and hakeem94 like this.
  14. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Didn't he also train to be a UFC fighter.

jch1911 likes this.
  15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy, so Miami has to trade their first round pick which is better than ours to get rid of a contract that is better than Ryan Andersons. Doesn’t add up.

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Get rid of 2 contracts (Waiters is for 3 more years // Johnson is for 2 years, but he has a player option to add a 3rd year).
    Also, how are those contracts "better"?
    Look at the $$$
    Ryan = 2 years, $40M
    Waiters = 3 years, $36M
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/dion-waiters-10812/

Johnson = 3 years, $46M (2020 is a player option year, but he will be 33.... so probably not opting out of $16M payday)
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/james-johnson-6279/

So 2 years at $40M vs. 3 years, $81-82M and your team does not appear to be challenging for Eastern Conference supremacy (let alone NBA ship).

That's why the reporters alluded to Rox taking on more $$$. We won't have big time FA $$$ for AWHILE. Only way to acquire good talent is via trade (and probably taking on more $$$) (or picking up a Melo here or there)

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Stuff about the play we produced together. That's kind of the point. It was natural for him to ask me to post it because I'm a known poster here and he isn't known as a poster so obviously I would be the one to post it. He didn't have any reason to bring up not having an account unless it was true or he was a compulsive liar. I do think he probably has a login and lurks. He knew well enough to claim to be DaDakota when asked if he had an account so that shows some cf.net insider status for sure. I saw jopat quoted me but I don't read that nonsense anymore.

Rashmon, BigMaloe, craguin and 3 others like this.
  18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

jch1911 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would anyone want Ryno for more than the league minimum is my question? Nobody will eat that salary without eating up some top draft pics the next couple years. I tried and tried sticking up for Ryno, but when he basically QUIT on us before the playoffs I was done with defending him. I don't see many people wanting a quitter without getting something good in return.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

So basically Codman the only guy we listen to at the moment since cyberx is not posting right?

D-rock likes this.