1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

"That's selfish"
    "His ego will ruin the team chemistry"
    "He should just shut up and play with who he's told"

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Morey is being a true wizard this summer

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Otto Porter Jr. is unlikely because honestly, it's unlikely we trade for any specific player. Look at my avatar, I'm in the OPJFC. Trading Eric Gordon for OPJ is insane and you guys are forgetting a few things.

1) Washington reluctantly matched Brooklyn's offer last Summer. The franchise does not love to spend.
    2) Otto Porter Jr. did not take that next step last year. So far he's great at what he does. He's a catch and shoot player who can switch defensively similarly to Ariza. He's being paid like a star and in Washington as of yet, he has not played like a star.
    3) Otto Porter Jr. ended his season last year prematurely. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-6-status-is-unclear/?utm_term=.8799cfb17012
    4) The Wizards have a PLETHORA of small forwards
    4A) Kelly Oubre is a budding player who needs more playtime before he enters into RFA. They will either pay him next year or someone else will. I think Oubre could also be a player we should be watching. Oubre is a high energy player who plays with an amount of aggression that few others match. Maybe Washington thinks they could pay him a little less than what Porter is making and have a better chance of him turning into the third star that they desire in that particular system.
    4B) Troy Brown, who clearly shined in the Summer League is a cheap option that will be under team control for the next few seasons at a lower level, as mentioned, The team does not love to spend.
    4C) Jeff Green was signed this offseason. He's probably more of a 4 in the modern NBA but he provides an option at the 3
    5) Here's a quote from John Wall taken when he was trying to plea to the front office to trade for Paul George. Taken from https://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/1...ents-about-otto-porter-says-they-are-all-good

“Look at our team. We are one piece away. We have the point guard, we have the shooting guard, we have the center, we have the power forward. Our 3-man (Otto Porter) did great for us. You can’t take nothing away from what he did. But (Paul George) is a guy that can guard LeBron and go back at LeBron. It’s a piece that you’re going to need to win. If you don’t have a guy who can do that, you don’t have a chance… You got to add another star.”

That was the Wizards’ John Wall, during his futile attempt to recruit Paul George to Washington.

I don't care if Wall and Porter say they are cool. Wall doesn't think Porter is a star and he's getting paid like one.

6) Wall's supermax kicks in next year. Keep that in mind with everything above and everything below.

Mentioned above is a deal between Sacramento, Washington and Houston. The idea in general is sound and the particular one I think makes the most sense is this. Again, any trade is unlikely, acquiring a specific player is unlikely. This is not going to happen but it's not farfetched. Combine everything above and factor in this.

Kings get. Ryan Anderson, Houston 2019 1st Round pick, Multiple 2nd Round picks.
    Why? The Kings wanted Ryan Anderson in 2016 at a higher amount than we paid. Ryan is from the area and wants to finish his career there. They gain multiple assets to acquire a guy they can sell to their fans as a homecoming of sorts. He would be a great locker room presence to their young core.

Wizards get Iman Shumpert + Onuaku.
    Why? They get out of Otto Porter Jr's contract without having to attach a first round pick. They get a young Center who probably won't crack the rotation but provides a body at a position where they aren't exactly stacked. They get Iman Shumpert on a one year deal. He can play minutes off the bench and allow Oubre to get those extra minutes to see if he is worth investing in. If Shumpert fits in well, he can be a cheaper option in FA than Porter's $27 Million next year and $28 million in 2019/2020 and beyond. If shumpert doesn't work, they can let him walk and allow either Oubre or Troy Brown to take the helm as the SF of the future. Wall's supermax is lingering over this franchise. It wouldn't shock me to see him or Beal traded because that tax bill is going to be high in the near future if they keep this team together. This is a team who hasn't loved to spend, will they spend to be a 3/4 seed in the East?

Rockets get Otto Porter Jr.
    Perfect scenario. OPJ fits in like a glove, doing everything Trevor does on the court and is significantly younger. He's overpaid but Anderson is gone in this scenario. They get a player who could take another step here and provide three point shooting that we have never seen under MDA. The perfect shooter in this system.

#463 treyk3, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Your The Otto Porter Movement membership packet has been shipped to your current address. We await your arrival with open arms!

finsraider, D-rock, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not to be a d!ck, but I honestly have no idea what you're saying here. Every trade is for a specific player; the GM never says, "Just take _____ and send me whoever you feel like in return." Maybe a trade for a draft pick fits your description, but I don't think that's what you're saying. Is it?

If you're trying to say that it's unlikely that Morey trades for the specific player we're talking about in a thread on CF, it still doesn't make sense. Morey is obviously targeting specific players, and if he negotiates a deal where we get more in return than we give up, he'll pull the trigger.

So like I said, I have no idea what you mean. :confused:

mikol13, clutchdabear and Nimo like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes you do. Acquiring Otto Porter Jr. is unlikely because there are approximately 491 players in the NBA. Acquiring a specific player is unlikely at any given time unless the trade is in the finishing stages. Trades are hard to make and as fun as it was for me to go into brutal detail on why Washington would probably consider it, it's unlikely Otto Porter Jr. is a Rocket next season. There hasn't been one concrete trade target mentioned from a realistic source. Nic Batum is an easy name to list because he's the only SF that has a contract clearly worse than Ryno's. Even with Batum being the low hanging fruit, it's less likely that he will be a Rocket than it is likely that he will be a Hornet on opening day.

topfive likes this.
  7. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Ariza's Deal is only one year, Batum's has 3 years left. If Morey is allowed to give Ariza a 3-year 30 M deal, he probably would have taken it. So on the salary part, that will cost Fertitta 12 M more in the next two years, but save him 17 M in the third year where the luxury bill is the most.

There is no way Morey is allowed to take on Batum's notorious contract, the third year 27M is a killer, which could cost the Rockets 100M. And you know that it will be extremely hard to move, even though it's an expiring contract, Melo showed a good example.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

You forgot Linsanity himself!

9. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Never happened.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If you didn’t care you wouldn’t have replied to me. But you did because your concern is to make sure melo is represented in what you refer to as “truth”, not because you concern is for what’s best for the rockets.

So unlike you, I don’t get insecure or feel compelled to push a player only agenda on a TEAM fan forum site.

Cheers

11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

[​IMG]

12. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Every time someone tells me this is a TEAM site I laugh my ass off.

Shows me y'all have nothing left to say LMAOOOOOOO

13. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

What's best for the Rockets is Melo playing well as well as the rest of the team.

If you wanna be negative towards a single player because you don't like him fine by me.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't laugh too hard, because that's what it is. The team is the Houston Rockets. We have other forums for various things, but this is a Houston Rockets fan site. Last time I looked, they were a team.

15. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

As if I didn't know that. Discussing a player who is about to be a Rocket on the Rockets site is now against the terms of service.

I dont care about other forums, I'm on the GARM, deal with it.

Y'all wanna post negativity fine by me thats your prerogative, I aint a yes man. I aint gonna sit there and read BS.

Last time I checked a team supports their players and doesn't beat them down to ground because Trevor "Scottie Pippen" Ariza and Luc "Michael Jordan" Mbah Moute walked away from your team.

16. craguin

craguin Member

Where is this documented? James Ham claims he spoke to Anderson and believes otherwise...

James Ham [07/20/2018 - Kings Insider Podcast] ← skip to time index 25:29
    "I don't even know that he chose Houston. Just so people out there know, I talked to Ryan Anderson right after that deal and from what I gathered from him, they got to a certain point with both teams and the Kings said, "Alright, you know what, we're good." And they pulled back, and so he was left with Houston as his option.

I think the Kings got close, I think they were probably in the $18-19 million/year range, but what they wouldn't do was go the full $80M. And so, Houston did, and now they're kind of paying the piper for it."
    -----

Vivi likes this.
  17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Another good example of just spouting stuff to push your agenda and destract from what you’re really doing here.

why not post on Melo fan site? Why not? Because it doesn’t exist, so you go to a Rockets fan site to debate. Which again is fine, but don’t get all hissy when someone doesn’t agree with your perspective.

You’ve been posting on here awhile and I never bothered to engage you bc frankly you aren’t worth the time. But you felt compelled to reply to my post, which again is fine. Just don’t get all pissy if I don’t agree with your perspective “truth” and then say I’m the one with an agenda. You look like a hypocrite.

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

[​IMG]

Okay, go cry in the corner.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You've lost it, dude. I was one of the members being nice to you. That was not an attack made by me, it was a declarative statement. You truly don't understand this place, do you.

mikol13 likes this.