1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Windhorst - Dec 2021] PHI, HOU, SAC, MIN discussing Ben Simmons deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Dec 17, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Simmons I view as OK for us . But the length of his contract makes it a hard no . I’d be willing to get in it to facilitate tho .

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Just watch the same thing here happen if JG doesn't develop as people expect. Sunk cost makes people irrational.

apollo33 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

This? :p:D - GSW GM knows a landmine when he sees one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA fined Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob $50,000 for violating the league’s anti-tampering rule with comments he made about Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons.

Lacob said the Warriors had no interest in the disgruntled Sixers guard.

In some ways, it doesn’t really fit what we’re doing,” Lacob said this week. “He makes a lot of money. And, can he finish games? I don’t know.

“He’s very talented. The problem is: We have Draymond [Green]. Draymond and him are very similar in the sense that neither one really shoots and they do a lot of the playmaking. That’s one issue. The salary structure is another.”"

article
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simmons's giant contract is a major turn off for NBA GMs. Even GSW owners who play the lux tax are wary of it.

No Worries, sirjesse and D-rock like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like the idea of us continuing to accumulate more assets with our salary flexibility. Dying to see what kind of compensation Minny gets for taking on Simmons, if a deal ever actually happens.

saleem, D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Many here are too hung up on money that isnt theres.

Especially when no one can predict cap or FA moves.

The money HAS to go somewhere and why not a bonafide All Star YOUNGER than Tate and Wood.

Ankara1923 and theDude like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love it!

Lacob devaluing an asset for another team.

I believe he was also fined for this comment.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only reason a player of his caliber is even available is because of flaws.

Name another player his age who is without flaw?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Barnes too!

But not on same team with Simmons AND Tate.

I'd take 2 of them but 3 on court together will destroy spacing.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

No human being, much less NBA player, is without flaw. I don't understand your question.

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Making a move to get Rockets closer to top 10 in offense AND defense is not making a move to make a move.

Rockets have obvious lack of a playmaker on this team. And rebounding. And defense.

Simmons is a great fit on this team, especially with Wood at the 5.

EGo, DGreen, Mathews, Simmons, Wood starting 5 is legit.

With combination of Sengun, KPJ, JC, Tate, Green, KJ, Snipa, Garuba off the bench.

Rockets can then develop our young players in most advantageous positions to succeed and grow, which is the right way.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly.

Simmons has flaws that he needs to work on, just like most players his age.

That he has been so productive even with these flaws speaks well of his elite talents.

Smart GMs take advantage of these opportunities.

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Play the 4 spot while not dominating the ball .... and hit the occasional open 3 ball.

Simmons wants to play the point and wants to dominate the ball. That's why he doesn't fit here because he won't play the Draymond Green role.

mikol13, Dr of Dunk, saleem and 2 others like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's supposed to have been working on those flaws, all this time. Even Giannis, widely criticized for his inability to hit jumpers and hesitance to shoot 3s, has steadily improved.

You have to want to improve. Simmons just doesn't have it in him. If GMs were so smart, as you say, multiple teams would be banging on Morey's door to trade for him. They're not. So either they see nothing in Simmons to warrant trading for, or you're smarter than every other NBA GM. No disrespect, but it's clearly the former.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Multiple teams DO want him but not for what Morey wants.

sirjesse likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need another legit playmaker, I'm sure you have seen that too.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be fair, his usage % is around 20%. That was 9th on the 76ers last year. It is about the same rate as Josh Christopher or Tate. I don't see usage as a bad reason for a potential fit here?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't disagree .... I just don't think Simmons is the right guy.

I want this dude nowhere near our young guys.

I'm not sure how usage is calculated .... but if you've watched the 76ers over the past couple years, Simmons has the ball as the primary playmaker a heck of a lot more than 20% of the time.

He's not finishing plays at a high rate but he's the facilitator, even if that results in a hockey assist.

If he would come in here and play the Draymond Green role as a defender, secondary playmaker I'd be all for it. I just don't believe he will from all the things that have been said .... he wants to be in control.

mikol13 and DrNuegebauer like this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think a TRADE is going down soon and I think SAC might be getting Mr. Simmons. Morey always wanted Buddy Hield and then the rumors about De'Aaron Fox

De'Aaron Fox no longer off the table?

De'Aaron Fox the odd man out in Sacramento?
    The Kings are at a crossroads yet again, with a new interim head coach, a relatively new GM, and a lot of players with uncertain futures. GM Monte McNair drafted two guards in consecutive drafts (Mitchell and Tyrese Haliburton) despite having De’Aaron Fox on the payroll, which suggests to executives around the league that Fox will be his main piece for a big move.

I think Houston is involve because Morey like and respect Gordon and I think we are trying to get a young good player. I wonder thats the reason Sengun is not playing 25 to 30 minutes a game because teams want him in a trade?

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I dunno - watching the 76ers the 20% makes sense of what he does. He plays off the ball quite a bit and defers to Embiid and Harris in the half court.

Obviously, as you say, if he dominates the ball like a Russ, heck no!!! But if he brings his all world defence (and bonus rim protection) in a large switch all frame, and can facilitate our scorers, that could be really nice.

I don't think we are a destination though. What do we have that could possibly work? Even matching salaries (without using Wall) could be tough... Gordon and ??

D-rock likes this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not a fan of Simmons.

hakeem94 and saleem like this.