1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Willis McGahee - Start or not

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Behad, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

His slide the second half of the season has hit rock bottom. Should I start him (against Denver, #3 rush defense) or Marion Barber (Dallas backup, but getting more yds per game than WM)?

Willis McGahee has had tough days before, but nothing like this.

The Buffalo Bills running back endured the worst game of his career as a NFL starter Sunday, rushing for just 3 yards on eight carries in the Bills' 35-7 loss to the New England Patriots.

McGahee's struggles were physical, too, as he left the game early in the second quarter after his head collided with the knee of Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour.

McGahee returned in the second half, but the Bills weren't able to establish a running game after falling behind early. Buffalo finished with only 14 yards on 12 attempts.

"They played good ball," McGahee said of the Patriots' run defense. "They have a good defense and made it tough on us. We tried to run. But when you fall behind you have to throw the ball and play catch-up. It was just the fact that once we got something going we couldn't sustain it."

That last statement pretty much sums up McGahee's season. He was averaging more than 100 yards in the first six games and appeared on his way to a record-setting season.

But things have turned sour for the man who once proclaimed himself as the best running back in the NFL. In the past seven games, McGahee has just one 100-yard outing. His last touchdown came Oct. 16 against the New York Jets.

McGahee's seven-week scoring drought is a result of the Bills' embarrassing showing in the red zone. Buffalo has scored just 12 touchdowns on 37 possessions inside the opponent's 20-yard line (32.4 percent).

In many cases, McGahee isn't getting red zone carries.

"That's the coaches' decision," he said. "I have no control over that."

A season that is going from bad to worse is an unfamiliar position for McGahee, who knew only winning while at the University of Miami.

"I've never been in this situation before," he said. "It's crazy. It's a feeling I don't want to get used to."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051212/1056279.asp

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

"Dance with the ones that brung ya" :cool:

The bigger question for you is:

Mike Vick or Kelly Holcomb? Hmmmmmm

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Waiting till friday to make that decision...but Vick will be playing.

And now it's Jeff Garcia, not Kelly Holcomb. (Oh geez....Vick, get better soon!)

But in the overall picture, Barber got me here, not McGahee. Barber came up big two or three times this year, while WM disappeared.

4. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Thats a tough one. Vick has bruised ribs AND is facing the Chicago defense. I have to choose to start Vick or Bledsoe this week for the 2nd round of my playoffs. Bledsoe's matchup isn't favorable either, @ washington.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'd go with McGahee. Just when you try to get fancy and bench a player, that's when they blow up.

As long as we're asking questions, should I start Samkon Gado against the Ravens on Monday night or Keyshawn Johnson against Washington?

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

McGahee over Barber

Gado over Key

here's my question:

I have 3 spots for WR/TE.
    My choices are (and yes, I know this is a problem most playoff teams would love to have at WR):

Steve Smith at NO
    Anquan Boldin at HOU
    Chris Chambers at NYJ
    Antonio Gates at IND

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

But I fell on black days
    How would I know
    That this could be my fate