1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

William Shakespeare (humbly submitted)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

This topic may very well break the record for time it takes to disappear off the first page, and I may succeed only in placing myself firmly on everyone's "ignore list", but I'll proceed if only because of the slight chance you all may surprise me.

I was wondering what you all think about Shakespeare.

Since I graduated from college with a BFA in Theatre, I've gotten most of my acting work doing classical theatre, mostly Bill Shakespeare. I spent the last two Summers out at a theatre in Wisconsin. It's called the American Players Theatre, and it's one of the largest classical Summer Repertories in the nation. The patrons of that theatre come from all around......Illinois, Idaho, Minnesota, everywhere in the area....and they make a real event out of it. Whole families come every year and make it a kind of family vacation. The theatre is set on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, but in a little over twenty years, it's become extremely successful.

And the audiences are like no other audiences in the country. They actually listen . They come for the love of the work. For those of you who are actors, you probably have no idea what it's like to perform Shakespeare in front of an audience and hear them chuckling in appreciation.....not at cheap, physical humor....but at the subtle irony and play on words that Shakespeare very often used.

So many contemporary theatres in this country feel they have to make Shakespeare "flashy" in order for it to appeal to today's audiences. They'll do everything they can to keep the audience's interest, taking for granted that, if they don't, they'll lose everyone's interest. APT takes a kind of novel approach to Shakespeare's text. They actually trust that the audience members each possess a brain, and that they understand English.

They just serve up the language. They enunciate, and concentrate on the language, letting the text do the work for them.

And the audience listens.

They laugh. They have a marvelous time. They cry. They walk away having shared a special experience. There is nothing like it.

I believe that William Shakespeare is the single greatest writer in the history of the English language. Noone has ever come close.

I'm curious as to what your experiences have been with Shakespeare. I am convinced that, for the most part, if you don't enjoy Shakespeare, it's because you've never seen Shakespeare performed well . There is a lot of bad Shakespeare being done out there.

What was your first experience with Billy Boy? What plays of his did you read in school?

I would appreciate and value all comments, both positive and negative. I only ask that you give some reasons behind your opinion.

Again, maybe noone will be at all interested in this topic. I am, however, and I am desperately curious as to what your opinions are on William Shakespeare.

2. Princess

Princess Member

I've only read Shakespeare in class because I had to, with the exception of Romeo and Juliet, which I really like. The stories are great in my opinion. When I first started reading him, the language was hard to understand, and I got a little frustrated with it. But as I got older and read some more and talked about it, it got better and easier. Next time I'm in England, I want to go visit Stratford Upon Avon. We missed it this summer.

I would be very interested in seeing a really good performance of his work.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I fell in love with Shakespeare the first time I read King Lear which was my junior year in high school. I finally managed with that book to get to a point where I didn't need to read the footnotes for reference.

Afterward, I went back and re-read MacBeth and Hamlet. I've read the Tempest, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Much Ado About Nothin, Othello and a few others but it has been a while.

I actually wrote a paper in college on the "myth" surrounding Shakespeare and whether or not he actually penned his plays. There was criticism for a long while that it was actually a group of writers that did it and that Shakespeare was really just a nominal writer who had input.

I pored over a ton of info on him and ultimately came to believe that it was really the work of one man. I found that most of those who believed it wasn't just one person were critics who said that it was simply too good and that the writings were too prolific. Tell that to Mozart. :)

Anyway, there were also inconsistencies in where and how he lived in terms of the critics. It wasn't hard to find reference to how his family actually worked as servants for a wealthy family while he wrote plays and ultimately planned and built his theater.

But, back to the books. For me, nothing epitomizes his genius more than the play within a play in Hamlet. When he actually has Hamlet write a play as a way to reveal what he knows to his uncle, that was brilliant because the play Hamlet wrote was not very good. It was filled with inconsistencies and even some poor use of grammar - <i>on purpose</i>.

I know, as a musician, how difficult it is to play like a beginner when you are an experienced player. I once saw Steve Lukather, the former guitarist for Toto do this in an instructional video and I was amazed he could actually do it. It proved to me just how great he was that he could simulate the playing style of a beginner.

In much the same way, Shakespeare demonstrated his brilliance by having Hamlet construct a really mediocre, if not outright poor, play as a way to reveal his knowledge of his uncle's murder. Amazing.

My favorite Shakespeare joke:

A older southern woman comes out of a showing of MacBeth with her college-educated son. He asks, "So, mom, what did you think about the play."

She responded, "Well, it would have been better if it wouldn't have had so many cliches in it." :D

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I actually got to see a performance of King Lear at Stratford on Avon. Sadly, I was only 12 at the time and most of it seemed kinda silly. I even fell asleep. :)

5. Princess

Princess Member

I agree with you, Jeff, about trying to play like a beginner. It's the hardest thing to do. And a great analogy to Shakespeare.

It's good to hear other people with a love of good writing!

I'm mostly stuck reading right now whatever "they" tell me to read :(

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

From my limited exposure to the bard only.

Best of WS: The Saint Crispins Day speech

Worst of WS: Romeo and Juliet

7. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thanks, Princess and Jeff.

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I meet someone who actually enjoys reading Shakespeare. I enjoy it, but that's because I've worked so closely with it. Before I started working with the text, I didn't particularly enjoy reading his plays. I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it, either. There's a simple reason for that, I think. They weren't meant to be read.

Shakespeare is meant to be seen and heard. That's the intent with which they were written. Billy wrote his plays in parts for each individual actor, written on rolled up pieces of parchment that contained only the actor's lines and the cue lines leading into them. That's where we get the term role. His plays weren't actually written in complete book form until after his death.

I've gone around to numerous schools and taught workshops on Shakespeare. One of the most common complaints I hear from the students that I've spoken to is that Shakespeare is too hard to understand.

"He wrote the way they talked back then," they say.

That's only partly true. He did make certain contemporary references that are lost on today's audiences, myself included for the most part. But he didn't use all that many. When I hear this particular complaint, I always respond,

"So, you think it was easier for people living in that time to understand what the actors were saying? Is that right?"

To which they invariably respond,

"Yeah, sure."

That's when I really get them.

In Shakespeare's time, the English language was still very much in a development process. It was in a state of perpetual growth, and much of that growth came from the writing of the time. Noone, I think, had a greater influence on the English language during Shakespeare's time than Billy boy himself.

During his lifetime, while writing his plays and sonnets, William Shakespeare made up over 50,000 words.

Made them up.

That's a conservative estimate. Many think the number is closer to 100,000.

Now, a lot of the words were a combination or usage of words that had never been introduced before. "Upstairs", for instance. Shakespeare created the word "upstairs." Now, they had the word "up", and they had the word "stairs". But noone had ever put them together and used them in that way before. So the people of that time were hearing these words for the first time. Words that we today have grown up our whole lives with. So do you really think people of that time had it any easier understanding the particulars of the language than we do?

Nope.

That, for one, demonstrates his genius.

What is more demonstrative, however, is the fact that you don't need to understand every word to understand exactly what is happening on stage. You don't have to know what a "fardel" is to know what Hamlet means when he's contemplating suicide.
    It's a bundle, by the way....a load that you carry.
    So when Hamlet says, "Who would fardels bare, to grunt and sweat under a weary life" , you nod and say, "Not me. I don't know what a fardel is, but I sure wouldn't bare it.....not if it involves all that grunting and sweating under a weary life." ;)

That's the genius.

As an actor, I love nothing more than to have the opportunity to say his lines. You don't find them anywhere else. Shakespeare never just said anything, and thank God! He wouldn't just say, "I'm going to kill you for this." No, he says, "Cry Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war."

My favorite passage is in Richard II. A beautiful play, by the way. Some of the most stunning language in the canon is in that play. Probably a difficult read, but who knows? Try it, Jeff, and let me know. Anyway, King Richard has been deposed by Bollingbroke, the son of a loyal subject whom Richard had wronged. Richard had gone off to war, only to come back and find that, in his absence, Bollingbroke had taken his kingdom by force while the bulk of Richards army was away. And what's left of Richard's forces have changed sides and sworn alliegance to Bollingbroke. There's a famous, wonderful scene where Richard is told all of this horrible news all at once, and he goes into one of the more famous sililoquies in the canon. He is almost laughing at himself, and how absurd the whole illusion of royalty is. (something we might be able to identify with today) For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of Kings.

Anyway, my favorite passage comes in Act IV, when Richard has been called to the throne room(what was once his throne room) so that he may give the crown over to Bollingbroke in view of everyone. Bollingbroke wanted no question of the legitimacy of his kingship.(something else we can identify with today) Anyway, this is the final humiliation for Richard. This is the last, most awful insult. He basically says that he wishes he were dead, that he would just disappear never to be seen again.

But Shakespeare doesn't just say that. Oh, no. No, instead Billy comes through with one of the most beautiful and spine-tingling lines in all of literature. Picture a hushed throne room. Everyone feels embarrassed for Richard, and he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, as he has lost everything(and ultimately gained everything). He has just gone on a tirade about the swerving loyalty of those he had once called his friends. Then he gets really quiet, looks around the room at all of those familiar faces, and says,

"Oh, to be a mockery king of snow,
    Standing before the sun of Bollingbroke
    To melt myself away in water drops."

If you take your time with that line, and give every word the weight that the situation demands, paying special attention to the last ten syllables, there is not a more effective piece of verse to have the utter pleasure of being able to deliver.

Anyway, I could go on.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's Stratford-upon-Avon ;) and we must have been there at the same time because I am about your age and was also there when I was 12...did you also go to his birth house and stuff?

Also read the stuff in class and saw a few open-air performances in Cambridge...

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not gonna tell ya!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

As for me, I have my PhD in English literature, and my field of study is the Renaissance ... SO I have had the fortune of reading all 37 (or 38, if you count the Two Noble Kinsmen) plays at one point or another -- mostly for oral exams. In fact, I'm teaching Hamlet to my students right now.

It's kind of funny, sometimes, to think that playwrights of the period such as Christopher Marlowe, Ben Jonson, Thomas Kyd, Thomas Middleton, and others would have been quite famous now had they not had the misfortune of living at the same time as the Bard (and thus being completely overshadowed by him!). Shakespeare was that good.

Favorite plays of mine, though I know these are personal tastes:

Comedies: Merchant of Venice, As You Like It
    Histories: Richard II, Henry IV pt. 1
    Tragedies: Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Titus Andronicus (a very underrated play)
    Romances: I've always liked Pericles and Cymbeline more than most people do

It's good to see someone talking about literature on this board! :)

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I am 32, so it was 20 years ago in the summer. I did see his birth place as well. I knew the "upon" part (at least, now I remember). I think my eyes were crossing when I wrote that last night. :)

I have read Richard II but it was quite a while back. I'll be honest in that I haven't picked up a Shakespeare play for probably 7 or 8 years at least.

To read or not to read, that's a really ****ing stupid question. :D

12. Gascon

Gascon Member

Again, Shakespeare's a tough read, but a wonderful experience. I respect the hell out of anyone that reads him for enjoyment that doesn't work intimately with his text.

I equate it to reading music, really, which is approriate since I find Shakespeare to be the closest the English language can come to music without instruments. Reading sheet music, for those that know how to do it, is not generally very interesting. Listening to the music on CD or tape is worlds better by the very nature of it. But actually seeing the music in concert.......well, no forum beats the concert for appreciating music. At least, I don't think so.

It's the same with Shakespeare.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Gascon that is the best explanation I've heard in a long time!

Thanks!

I know just how you feel!

I have been in 35 productions of Shakespeare. Not bragging, it's just a fact. My emphasis in College was classical performance.

Another thing I have found about his text is that once you commit it to memory, you never forget it. O sure, it may leave your head after a while, but give yourself half an hour looking it over, and you'll have it again. At least it is for me anyway. Again, another analogy to music, right!?

I love it!

14. haven

haven Member

I really enjoy Shakespeare. My first serious encounter with it was during summer camp when I was in a production of "Midsummer's Night Dream." I got to play the role of Bottom... which was a total blast. Great excuse to act like a total ass on stage :).

I've read most of his plays, though a few of the later comedies, I haven't touched.

I'm currently taking a Shakespeare class as the last requirement for my English minor. A speaker came today... she's playing Beatrice right now in some New York production of Much Ado about Nothing (super funny, if you haven't seen it, check out Kenneth Brannaugh's film version).

Cheers to the Bard... probably the greatest author, ever.

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Gascon,

In my early 30s I picked up one of those "best of..." Shakespeare books and really tried to read some of his works. Without some kind of formal appreciation the language was a bit hard, but still readable.

My problem was I kept feeling I was missing something. Maybe it's the musician in me, but I was loosing emotion when I read Shakespeare. I guess trying too hard to understand the words kept me from really enjoying him.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a head in school and went on to college just to appreciate the writing style of his time.

Oh well. Cest la vie.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Btw, Mr. Shark Finn, there's so much truth in your sig.! Funny how the truth has been around for eons... and still we don't get it.

RR

17. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I'm not a huge Shakespeare fanatic, but the bard has become a very popular summer attraction in these parts, and I have enjoyed several of these plays. I do find the language wearying, but watching the plays is less so than reading them. Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan does the adaptations you talk about, but with interesting twists. Romeo and Juliet was done as a conflict between a French family and an English family, which is quite topical here in Canada. The play was half in French and half in English.

http://www.shakespeareonthesaskatchewan.com/

Shakespeare in the Park is an amateur company that does traditional productions. It's outdoors in a natural amphitheatre, and they pass a hat so you can pay what you want. It's very unpretentious and a good way to learn to like Shakespeare, which I find that I'm doing.

http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/programs/conserv/sitp/

18. Hydra

Hydra Member

While he could certainly be considered, I think that others like Homer, Dante Alighieri, and E. A. Poe could give him a run for his money.

19. Gascon

Gascon Member

mcmark,

I agree completely. I still remember just about every piece I've committed to memory. Some I'd have to go back and look at. It's been a while since I played Edmund in Lear, but I bet it wouldn't take me too long to get it back. Talk about a fun role!

haven,

Bottom's great!!! What a blast of a role. I played Tom Snout (wall) and Moth a couple of Summers ago. We had so much fun every time it came to perform "Pyramus and Thisby"!!! :D

BobFinn*,

Thanks for the link! I haven't come across that before.....

I'm still positive there's a "but" before "thinking"......it doesn't scan any other way...... ;)

RocketRaccoon,

DAMN RIGHT you were missing something. I think you're strengthening my point. Shakespeare should be seen and heard.....that's the way it was intended. I urge you to go and see some productions. The trouble with telling you that is I'm afraid you might run into some bad Shakespeare. It's always a danger, and I believe there's more bad Shakespeare out there than good. You have to keep trying if that's the case. You'll know the bad Shakespeare when you can't tell who is who or what's going on. Simple. If you can't understand the story, and there's no extenuating circumstances, than that's the fault of the production.....not you. I'm afraid too many people go to see bad Shakespeare and come away feeling stupid because they didn't get it, chalking it up to something that's "just not my thing".

This is a bold statement, but it's one I believe. If Shakespeare bores you in production, that's our fault. It's the fault of those bringing you the production. One of the most frustrating comments I'll hear after a performance is, "The actors were great, too bad Shakespeare's so boring."

AAAAaaaaarrrrgggg!!!!! :mad:

If it bored you, than I wasn't great. I didn't do my job. I was bad . Plain and simple. It's all about communication and lifting the text into the night.

Grizzled,

Thanks for the links....I'll look them up. :)

The only problem I have with putting those interesting little "twists" on Shakespeare is that I feel they often limit the text more than help it. Shakespeare is timeless. There's nothing wrong with presenting it that way. Too many theatres get caught up in the "need" to find a "fresh way to look at it." That's all fine and good, but if the design concept dictates the story being told, then I think the meaning is lost. It becomes something else. Just my opinion, though.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I actually hated reading Shakespeare in high school because it was hard enough to learn English as it is today, but reading and understanding all that ancient "%ยง& ;) was damn difficult.