1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Will your next vehicle be American?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AGBee, Dec 19, 2008.

Tags:
?

Will your next vehicle be made by an American auto company?

1. Yes - car

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Yes - truck/SUV

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. No

116 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I'd only purchase an American car if it were a truck.

I don't need a truck so no I will not be purchasing an American car any time soon.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Buying American" is what helped kill (ok, put on life support with beggar's handouts) GM, Chrysler, and Ford. People bought their vehicles no matter what kind of crap they put out. And now we get to pay for it again by bailing these knuckleheads out after they admit they sat on their butts while we bought inferior vehicles.

I won't buy cars based upon whether they're "American" or not. I'll buy good vehicles with good design and reliability records. If they're "American", so be it.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't finance cars, but what's your reasoning about the extended warranty? I've bought the extended warranty on 2 of the 3 cars I've owned "just because" and maybe out of unnecessary fear. I can't remember if I had it on the first car I owned since my parents helped me out on that one. Looking back, they weren't worth it - I used it once to repair a speedo/odo that died right before the warranty was up. I know if the dealers lost out, they wouldn't offer it, but it's more of a peace of mind kind of thing for me... I'm wondering if I should get one on the next car I get.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

German cars have had quality issues for a while - it won't be anything new. Mercedes used to build tanks - the body would rust through and turn to dust before the engines would fail. The reason BMW's are still considered great vehicles is their performance and handling which the Japanese are still having problems matching. When Japanese cars were predominantly built in Japan is when their reputation for reliability was created.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably. I'm well over 300 pounds, and the only cars I can drive are SUVs, pickups or full-size sedans. Used Buicks, Lincolns and Caddies are cheaper than Benzitos or Lexi; and Jags make me nervous.

6. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Which "american" car, the Toyotas made in America or the Fords from Mexico?

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The only American car that interests me is a Mustang GT, but it wouldn't really be practical at this point in my life -- it would be fun though.

8. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Same here - I drove a couple American cars in my teens and early 20's, but...

Right now I have a Honda, and tomorrow, I'm getting a new Honda.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think most people know that BMW's are filled with problems but nonetheless are swanky ass rides.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I'll only buy American if the car is more for appeal and aesthetics rather than everyday use. If I want to buy a sports car that I take out only a few times a month then I have no problem getting a Corvette, Mustang, or the Camaro.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Probably not.

The only American car I have ever owned was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it fell apart at 70,000 miles and the resale value was crap

Sticking with Japanese or German cars

12. tested911

tested911 Member

Funny Question because the answer for me is Yes and No.. It will be a dodge but the vehicle is actually a Mercedes badged with a dodge logo. Engine/Transmission/body/chassis everything is from Mercedes except the logo..

Dodge Sprinter (passenger).. Seats 10 but averages 21-25 mpg (Real customer estimated miles).. Diesel so great life on transmission/engine.

Will never buy another American vehicle only because personally I've had bad luck. Chevy Astro Van and Dodge Plymouth Voyager.. Both Crap Crap Crap Crap.. Engine and Transmission problems galore... Interior Space on the Voyager was the only plus and the Chevy Van had a cool rear captains chair that can swivel ( Why they don't make that for all vans I have no clue. )

Now if one was given to me then hell yeah I will be driving one.

13. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

thats just because they built super low performace diesel engines and had crap metal treatments.

14. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8dl4faCpJE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8dl4faCpJE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Awesome posts, tard. My last two Nissan's were customized, built and shipped from Japan.

How many problems have I have with these cars in the last 6 years?

Zero.

16. Isabel

Isabel Member

My first three cars were American. But now, my Hyundai and I spend a lot less time in the repair shop. I highly doubt my next car will be American.

17. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

After thinking about it...........probably not. I’ve had horrible experiences with American cars. If the product were better, I would definitely think about it.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I've been car shopping this week with my wife. We've looked at 0 American cars. She will probably get her third Lexus ES; 1994, 2000 and probably an 08. The current choice list includes an 07 XC90 if she decides to go with an SUV to sit higher in traffic, the gas mileage is poor but the warranty is huge.

Also thinking about leasing a Hyundai Genesis. That car is badass for the $36,000, it feels like a $55,000 Mercedes or BMW. I just wouldn't trust buying a first year car (again); but leasing is a pretty bad economic choice though.

Oddly, with the 0% and .9% financing on new vehicles compared with 6+% on used cars, the monthly payment is about the same new or used on the Lexus since the resale values are so high.

I've never financed a car before, in the past financing was expensive and cash was cheap (considering how easy it was to make money in stocks). I feel that right now, financing is cheap and cash is expensive. If someone is going to offer 0%, I think you've got to do that deal.

On extended warranties, I guess they are generally a bad deal but I bought a 100,000 miles on my 2000 ML when I got it (new) and the dealership mechanics loved to hit that thing. When I went in for my last warranty service at 98,000 miles they came up with $4000 of stuff to do to the car.

At 122,000 it's running like a top. The only thing wrong with it is a busted cup holder. Anyone know how I might fix a busted cup holder?

19. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Congratulations, man. Enjoy the new car!

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My mindset concerning warranties is the same as with insurance. I'd prefer not to spend the money, but it sure is handy when you need it.