1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will your next vehicle be American?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AGBee, Dec 19, 2008.

Tags:
?

Will your next vehicle be made by an American auto company?

1. Yes - car

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Yes - truck/SUV

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. No

116 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. AGBee

AGBee Member

With GM and Chrysler just receiving their lifelines, I was wondering who on here plans to buy an American vehicle sometime in the near future. I'm in my 20's and I don't know anybody in my age range that's considering buying a Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/etc car anytime in their life, unless it's a Corvette or a pickup truck. I'm just not sure where they plan to find the sales that will push them to profitability without pulling something revolutionary out of their butts sometime soon.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

No, my next vehicle will be Acura or Honda.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Nope. It shall be one of them foreign wing wang wing wong cars. Just kidding :)

I have no idea specifically what it'll be since this car is going to be my car throughout probably the rest of my college stay (a few more years to be precise), but given our family's love for Toyota/Lexus cars. I would say a Toyota is a likely choice given how sweet my '01 4Runner has been. Just a solid car. Can't ask for a lot more than bare minimum maintenance. Now if I could only find a woman like that! lawlz

4. droxford

droxford Member

Hell no.

In fact, I want to stand in front of a Chevy dealership with a big sign that says, "I want my money back"

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Short answer: Yes.
    Longer answer: My 17-year-old brother wants to buy my Chevy Colorado from me. I intend to replace it with and older, bare bones F-250 work truck. My old Honda will continue to be my daily driver.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

no, acura ftw

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I have a chevy now, and it's been every bit as dependable as my wife's toyota.

FWIW.

I will consider an american vehicle (car) next time around, but I better see signs of long term support. Also, I will consider the fact that not all of an American Car is made of American parts or assembled in America, and not all of Foreign cars are built of of strictly foreign parts or on foreign soil.

Buying American has become difficult in the global industry of automobiles... among other things.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I drove a Ford F-150 for 7 years and it was a great truck. Gas and oil only (and a little dust-up with the egr valve)

I bought a brand new Lexus about 3 years ago and had to replace the dam rack and pinion after 1.5 years of driving it.

9. droxford

droxford Member

The CEO of GM claims that their cars are built equally as well as an Accord or Camry. If that's true, GM has nothing to fear from giving their cars a 10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty (NOT just on the powertrain).

I hate the fact that we're bailing them out.

And I believe that, even with the bailout, GM is going to fail.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I only buy "american" cars with "non-american" underpinnings.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

GM's sales lag Honda and Toyota because their resale value is terrible. There's a reason you see rental car fleets flooded with GM and Chrysler vehicles.

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

My next car was a Honda. My next car after this car will most likely be another Honda. I haven't had an "American" car since my 1991 Geo Storm in HS/College (1999 - 2001).

13. Landlord Landry

2009 F-150, just bought. I never buy anything non-Ford.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not because it's American. When I buy another car, I'll look at my needs, check out Consumer Reports and buy the most logical solution. If an American car company manages to occupy that niche, I'll buy it. If they don't, I won't. So, it's on them. The last time I gave it thought though, no American car was in the running.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I will never buy a car less than 3 years old again. And I will also never finance one or buy an extended warranty. HORRIBLE investment.

16. Landlord Landry

how about gap insurance or window etching? those are sound investments!

(not)

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Toyota. Always...

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

My old Dodge Stratus had a factory defect where you could turn the car off and take the key out of the ignition while it was still in gear. I noticed that when I had to chase my locked car down the street as it rolled out of my driveway. Nice one, GM.

My current Nissan Altima, now THAT'S a car.

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I don't really look in advance in terms of "my next car will be an XXX".

I have an '05 Ford Focus right now, but I test drove and considered a number of cars from all makes and models.

For me... it's more of a price range/consumer reports/ratings type evaluation.

I'm happy with my Focus, but I don't have any strong opinion pro/con about buying an American car.

20. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

So then why doesn't Toyota or Honda give 10 yr warranties if their cars are so perfect? Whats interesting is that when GM came out with the warranty, they calculated that it would only cost them $300/car in actual costs vs. the perceived benefit by consumers was much more than that.

I still think they will fail due to their cost structure, but I think (and looks like most reports confirm) that the quality gap has shrunk by a lot. However, its called a reputation and they reaped what they sow.

I wonder if the fact that some of these Japanese cars have had quality issues lately and the halo'd brands like BMW/Mercedes have been dropping in the rankings will affect their reputations..probably not for a while I guess...