1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Yao sign a contract extension in October?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What are the odds that Yao signs a contact extension with Rockets this October?

1. 100%

141 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 75%

69 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 50%

65 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 25%

27 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 0%

56 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

That average is based on Rox designing plays for Yao and as a result, Rox did not do well in the first half of the season.

Right now, Yao is a role player, his number should be around 14 pts, 7 rebounds, and T-mac is the first option and Yao is an after-thoughts.

2. sun12

sun12 Member

Don't always blame the coach when things do not work out. Yao has been given lots of chances to lead the team, pretty much for 3 years, the team has been revamped to accomodate Yao, but it did not work out. Right now, T-mac as the first option, Yao/Deke as the defensive centers, works the best. Rox has been winning games, you can't deny that.

It is all up to Yao to work on his games, to work on his aggresiveness during the season and off the season. If he can't, he is just a role player; if he can improve on his TO problem and avoid silly fouls, he can still be a very good center.

3. rvpals

rvpals Member

They're good wins but it doesn't hide the fact we can't be a contender with Yao just playing defensive center.

4. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

Great people do not work to others' expectation or schedules. barring injury, Yao is highly likely to be a dominant player in his 5th year. I think that's the timeline he sets for himself.

5. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

Well said. I concurr.

6. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I assume you are joking? Yao needs a real PG, good shooters to spread the floor, an athletic PF, and a coach that can utilize his height/skill instead of exposing it. Rockets have none of that.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yao's role is the low post, that's what Centers should do. It seems ironic that the same type of people complain about Steve Francis not being a "true point guard" are the same people that want Yao two be the new kind of centers (i.e. facing the basket). Even Hakeem who was part of force that redefined the center position played with his back to the basket. His turn around and occassional 15 ft jumpers are only dangerous because of his low post plays.

Lastly, I believe the Chinese basket wants Yao to come to the U.S. to learn how to play like a "true center". If they wanted him to continue being the 15 ft jump shooter, he could've easily stayed in China.

8. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I think maybe you are joking? Which team is coming close to your standard, lancet?

Maybe Spurs, but Rox won't give him up for nothing. You think Rox will trade him for Rasho? If they trade any combos involving TD, Parker or Manu, then your standard is no longer met. You have to find shooter, PG or PF again.

I didn't think you are such naive guy, but apparently you are.

9. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

True centers are outdated in this league, partially because of the
    zone. Unless you are as strong as Shaq, it's not hard to deny you
    the position and touches.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

You should look at how Hakeem and David Robinson played in college. You don't have to be extremelly strong, just have to learn to seal of your man, have good foot work, and box out. You can still dominate the game.

11. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Go back read my post again. I was merely pointing out the current Rockets team is NOT built around Yao. All the things I mentioned, Rockets have NONE. If you even bother to check other league, there are TONS of team with atheletic PF, real PGs, good shooters, and good coaches. Somehow someway Rockets have NONE of those.

12. lwong

lwong Contributing Member

Someone else is naive; Lancet is most definitely not.
    The key is what does Yao want? He has the leverage to demand a sign and trade to the team he wants, or he walks after the next season, leaving Rox with nothing. Not that he will, but if Yao insists on going to the Spurs, Rox has to take Rasho, Brent Barry or whoever.

He will be a free agent, with endorsement money following him whereever he plays(well).
    What can Les do? Threaten to waive him? Trade him to NO a la JJ? Sit him and ruin his stats while trying to trade him? Threaten to fire CD (so that Yao feels sorry for him)?

13. maderzhao

maderzhao Member

Good post. I'll say 25% if not 0. The way Rox now are playing is just destroying Yao's confidence and play. Unless there's a new coach who can convince Yao he will got involved effectively, the chance of this extension is slim.

14. jclee

jclee Member

Do you people even watch the games? how many times do you see yao calling for the ball and no one gives hm the ball. Bottom line is that this is the houston magic where again Tmac is taking all the shots. tmac is a great player, but he doesn't get other player i the mix. Yao shouldn't sign the extension because he won't get better under JVG. JVG is always criticizing Yao in the media, but he loves tmac. Ewing is a worthless coach and everyone knows that. Les and CD should have picked dunlevy as the coach or should have got del harris as the coach. it's too bad that tmac signed his extension.