1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Yao sign a contract extension in October?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What are the odds that Yao signs a contact extension with Rockets this October?

1. 100%

141 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 75%

69 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 50%

65 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 25%

27 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 0%

56 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I think you are confused about stats and role. It doesn't take a genius to figure what type of role Yao has taken in the last few games. Yao is a decoy on offense and a big body on defense. Is that what you honestly expect an all-star center to do for his career? You expect Yao's commitment to Rockets while Rockets is not committing to build around Yao? Yao is quiet about it right now, mostly probably because of his good-natured personality. By the time Yao really speaks out about his mind, it would be probably too late for Rockets.

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I think that falls square on Yao's shoulders. Rox and JVG have
    urged Yao millions of time to play like a star and leader. But
    what happend? This guy couldn't even vocally demand the ball
    from a role player like Sura. He dug a hole for himself and
    seems content to ride Tmac's coattail, why the latter originally
    intended to play a Pippen-like role.

3. lancet

I agree with you in that Yao would be the last person to care about numbers/shots. But don't tell me JVG is actually developing his game with the way he has been utilized. In fact, Yao's game is MORE limited than he was in his rookie season. Yao used to be able to hit a 20-foot jumper with ease. He used to be able to set up plays in high-post/elbow and make those fancy passes. Now he is just a big decoy on the offense and a big body on defense. Yao has regressed his game. And you are trying to tell me that Yao is happy for that?

Again, a max contract from Rockets doesn't mean Rockets have treated Yao well. Yao can get a max contract anywhere he goes. In fact, Yao has already made more than $100M for Les's franchise.

CD has treated Yao well, but not JVG. I have seen ZERO evidence of JVG/Yao liking each other.

4. lancet

And you are blaming this 100% on Yao instead of JVG? Yao certainly should share the blame, but how about JVG? JVG is asking Yao to play just like Shaq, only in the low-post. Yao tried to play like Shaq, but he is no where as strong as Shaq. Plus refs gave him ZERO respect. Yao got mugged in the paint, no call. Yao even touches a player on offense, offensive foul. There is no way for Yao to be effetive by only playing the low-post game. And I don't see any indication of changes happening soon. By the time Yao really ask for a change, it may not be plays, but for a different coach/team.

5. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

When I see Yao play, he looks willing, eager, and happy to do whatever is asked of him provided that the rockets win the game.

If JVG asks Yao to be the 6th man off the bench, and the team is better for it, Yao won't care.

If JVG asks Yao to just set picks all game long, and the team is better for it, Yao won't care.

Yao is all about winning and not about having an important role in the winning.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yao's game has not regressed, I don't understand why people think that is the case. He is being used differently this year than in his first two years, but it doesn't mean if he were to go back to shooting medium range jumpers he wouldn't still be good at them. He just didn't forget how to shoot a basketball overnight. And I already said in a previous post I wish we would run more PNR with Yao and T-Mac involved together. However, last year JVG did use a lot of PNR with him and Francis, so I'm not sure why the change has occurred. It could be JVG wants to teach Yao how to play down low even if he suffers with it at first, but I will say I highly doubt it's just JVG has it in for Yao. I do think the Rockets are erratic at times getting Yao involved in the game from the outset(like he might not get a play run for the first 3 or 4 minutes which is inexcusable) but again he's had plenty of good games this year as well.

And again like I said, after every down game he has these are Yao fans creating these types of polls because they are only concerned about his numbers, not because there is evidence that he will leave. This has gone on ever since he arrived in Houston and has only gotten worse. Finally, Yao is from all accounts a very loyal person, I highly doubt if the Rockets offer him a max contract that he even considers not signing it. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy that wants to be the man anyway, but like with any analysis, there stands a decent chance of being wrong as well.

7. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

to be fair, Yao was demanding the ball inside the paint but nobody pass to him.

the difference between this year an last year, one thing surely lost for Yao was PASSION. passion of the teammate's love, passion of the fan's apprecation, and passion of winning game.

8. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

In truth, there is no way for anyone to know whether or not Yao will sign. Yao's restaurant or max contracts aside.

What we are seeing is a Yao that looks unhappy on the court, on the bench, and with the rockets. Yao has taken to rooming by himself these days on road trips, ever since Boki was traded.

I think one would have to be blind to not see that Yao is not having any fun with the rockets organization. YOF, YOH, and true Rockets fans opinions' aside, if Yao is miserable, he'll leave. It's that simple.

Only time can tell whether or not Yao will remain a Rocket but as of now, things don't look that good.

On a side note, hopefully, Yao will become more of a man and demand the ball. Sura not passing is a direct result of Yao not being assertive. Honestly, if Yao were to tell Sura in no uncertain terms that Sura should pass him the ball or else, does anyone think Sura would deny Yao the ball? But Yao has yet to do that.

9. lancet

I agree with your point. Anyone who assume Yao will automatically sign a max contract when it is offered, is blind. Check the Nike/Reebok story, you will understand.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I'm sorry to interrupt the MIND OF YAO discussion group, but didn't he just drop 25, 21, and 20 in the three games before the Spurs and Nets games

don't mean to blow everyone's collective minds, but did any of you stop the think that the reason he looks upset is because he has had a couple of poor shooting/foul trouble ridden games and he is frustrated with himself.... why do you all believe that his behavior on the court offers some deep insight into his soul ?

...couldn't just be that he has been feeling under the weather and is a little frustrated by his own play. He looked pretty happy when Sura hit that 3 toward the end of the Spurs game -

... but that is just someone who watches the games -

11. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

I do watch his games. Even when the Rockets are winning, it doesn't seem Yao is having as much fun as last year. That's my own observation and I'm certainly not trying to read minds or say that he is definitely going to resign or definitely not. All I'm saying is that Yao's future is all very much up in the air, which wasn't the case last year. Anyone who doesn't believe that is in denial.

Of course Yao stinking it up on the court isn't helping matters but Yao's increasing ineffectiveness with the rockets may or may not be something he considers when he looks to the future.

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

That is what I see when I see Yao on the bench. He's upset with himself, not with Houston, or his coach, or his teammates.

Quite frankly I don't want a player that blames his coaches and teammates for his own failures. I want a player that blames himself for his own failures and his blames himself for his teams failures. That's the type of person that I hope and think Yao is.

Now if Yao, in any way, resembles his fans (ie. believes the Rockets are holding him down) then the sooner he goes the better.

13. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

AGREED !

I mean the guy had a bad half in LA, then came out and dropped a 25 spot on them - (I think he is frustarated with himself)

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yep, he was so upset with himself that he just quit hugging his teammates after a huge win over the Spurs and went straight to the locker room.

15. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Exactly, I would have said 100% last season or early this season. Now I am not sure any more. Right or wrong, the Chinese media are sure trying to convince him to make a move to the greener paster nowadays. It's all up to Yao. However, if the Rockets just use him as a 7'6" role player who sets picks for TMac (no pick & roll please since there is no roll) and chases the opponent's centers to 3 pointer line on the defensive end, Yao's days in Houston are numbered.

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

Yao has not regress at all. However, he is not used properly by JVG. Right now, he looks like those role-player center such as Nesterovic or Jason Collier. For god's sake, Yao is the leading vote getter of All Star game, and the starting center. Do you see he perform at all star level?

A lot of blame should go to Van Gundy. In recent games, it looks like everybody done forgetting Yao is their star and just go shot whatever shot they want, instead of getting the ball to Yao deep inside, Yao is waving his hand and calling for ball while holding his position, clank, Sura or Wesley throws up a brick. As a normal bball player, if you are good and you're not getting the ball, will you be happy? If Yao missed 2 shots in a row, forget it, the ball is going to TMac who cares if Yao has position downlow. The guards are probably thinking, Yao is such a nice guy, he wouldn't mind boxing out for me, getting the rebound, run back on D and block some shots, he wouldn't mind doing all the dirty work without getting some touches.

If Yao is a role player here, why would he want to stay here and sign a contract extension while he knows he has no chance of winning a championship in Houston if TMac and him can not be effectively used together.

So far, JVG has dissapoint me because he has not find a way (or a system) that can frequently have TMac and Yao go off at the same game. If Yao is being used as a role player such as of lately, this team ain't going nowhere but 1st round exit in the playoff.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

First of all, I do think this team has trouble with getting Yao/T-Mac in the flow of the game early on during games at times. Secondly, I already stated that I don't want Yao to solely be a low post player. I want to utilize his passing and shooting as much as possible, it's why I want to see more of him in the high post. However, to say Yao is a role player in Houston is just not accurate. He is a primary option on this team, period. Just because he gets into foul trouble two straight games and his numbers suffer accordingly doesn't change that. Furthermore, it's harder for Yao to put up big numbers than it is for T-Mac. Simply put, teams send double and triple teams at big men much more often than they do with guards. He also has to deal with the contact and physical play that goes on around the basket much more frequently than T-Mac. Plus, what did fans expect? T-Mac is a much more polished offensive weapon at this point in their respective careers, therefore it makes since that early on it would be his team more or less. That is not to say I don't think Yao is a star in his own right or can take the mantle from T-Mac down the line but right now it makes sense from a pure basketball standpoint to put the team in T-Mac's hands.

Also, I do admit I've seen times where Yao has decent position but the player making the entry pass doesn't throw it, apparently feeling it isn't good enough. However, none of us knows enough to say that is deliberate by any stretch, and odds are strongly against it being the case. The thing is I want Yao averaging 20/10 consistently just like you, but all star votes have no bearing on how many touches a player should receive in a certain game, nor should they. Against NJ, Sura was the hot hand and the team went to him like they should(Yao had foul trouble and missed two key free throws in that game) and the only person who could generate offense vs SA was T-Mac, thus he took the most shots. And against SA, Mutumbo's defense on Duncan was so crucial to the win that it made since to leave him in. I have no problem with either of those instances. What I do have a problem with is the extent of the complaining about Yao's performance. It's one thing to just say he should needs more consistent touches, as long as you mention the foul troubles, the struggles from the low post and the fact you think he should shoot a few more face up jumpers every game as well. But instead, all that ends up happening is people clamor for Yao to go to a different team every time his numbers for one game are not up to arbitary standards set by those fans. And to do one of these polls when the offense has improved and the team is playing well only reinforces the annoyance other fans feel towards those who start polls like this one.

Lastly, Yao averages 18.3 points, 8.4 rebounds a game. Those are not role player numbers. Yes, on a really good team a third option might put up those numbers but Yao is a member of one of the most defensive minded teams in the league and up until recently the offense couldn't get off the ground. This complaining just is petty and gets especially annoying when the team is winning and yet some fans are putting the interest of one player still first, even though they have nothing to complain about.

18. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

man, five-star post, also rvpals:)

19. dyu66

dyu66 Contributing Member

Everyone has to remember the reasons for Ming to come here and play in NBA: to become rich and to improve himself basketball-wise. Money is irrelevant now since he has already secured much more money from endorsements than from his current and further salaries. His sole motive now is to become a great basketball player with the help of the NBA experience, ultimately lead the Chinese national team and win a medal in 2008. The reason for him to stay in Houston is not about bull****s such as loyalty, beloved fans or his unselfishness etc etc. He would stay if he had a chance to become a better basketball player. Do you people honestly believe that the current Houston team will make him a better player? I don't think so. If he is as intelligent as being perceived by fans, he should leave by the end of his current contract if nothing changes in this team or this organization. Period.

20. rvpals

rvpals Member

I'm not saying you said you want Yao to be a strict post player. I'm just not seeing JVG doing anything to make Yao more effective in terms of having a system that incorporate both TMac and Yao's talent. Like Shaq & Kobe did. I think it's a such waste of talent because potentially Yao TMac combo could be better than Shaq & Kobe.

I'm not saying Yao is a role player in Houston, just these past few games Yao has reduced himself to role players because of this long pattern of not using him effectively even though we won the last few games, it's not good for long term development of Yao and Rockets.

TMac is having the freedom to shoot himself out of slump which is a good thing (miracle come back against Spurs). Yao should get more touches even though he might be cold in the beginning, he's the highest FG% on the team, he should get more looks.

I'm as sick as any true Rockets fan when I saw these polls asking to trade Yao or Yao sucks thread game after game.

My main point is that I don't think Van Gundy is doing such a good job use Yao and TMac together effectively. Frankly, I haven't see anything that convince me that JVG is still trying to do that. You have to mesh your two cornerstones of the team to have a contending team.