1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Yao sign a contract extension in October?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What are the odds that Yao signs a contact extension with Rockets this October?

1. 100%

141 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 75%

69 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 50%

65 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 25%

27 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 0%

56 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Charvo

Charvo Member

I've expressed this opinion also, and that was before the trade of Steve Francis. Yao needs great catch and shoot guys. Hakeem only needed good catch and shoot guys. Yao needs great ones like Ray Allen or Peja. TMac can be a decent catch and shoot guy. He's certainly better at the catch and shoot than Steve, but he's not great at it though. TMac dribbles to get his rhythm and then shoots.

Yao needs to keep defenders from surrounding him. Excellent half-court spacing can only be accomplished with excellent shooters.

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

It will depends on,

1. How important Yao's role is with the Rockets, and how his performance will be the rest of the season;

2. How successful the Rockets will be.

1 & 2 are really related, because I don't see the Rockets pass the 1st round of playoff unless Yao play much better than he is now. So the fate of Yao will entirely depend on how successful they fair during the playoff.

3. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

yes, no matter what happen, Yao should play his best or try. also don't give rb to others, pls!

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Really :rolleyes:

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Go away troll.

Ask SanAntonio and Dallas if they think we're the laughing stock... :rolleyes: we'll try to 'keey laugh'

6. GRENDEL

No kidding

7. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

The best play of Yao, it shows at spurs game,at third quarter, 4 rockets player spread at four corners with Yao in the middle, one on one take on Rasho, rocket player just keep try throw the ball to Yao, Rasho couldn't do nothing but faults, that's the determination of Yao, if the rocket want build the team around Yao, they definitely need shooter to spread the floor for Yao, and now teams could afford the double team on Yao, because the rocket couldn't beat them with their outside shooters.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I would say that if we played the Spurs to a full seven games in the first round that would pretty much guarantee Yao will resign - regardless of how well he personally does.

9. lwong

lwong Contributing Member

50/50. If there are no FA signings in summer, Yao Ming demands a S&T and gets it. It's nothing personal, just business.

This thread is about Yao signing a contract extension in October. As I posted earlier, Yao should demand a sign and trade because that's the best possible outcome for the Rockets and for Yao.

Yao Ming signed up with the Rockets for 3 guaranteed years, he has to honor that. Help the team win, make the fans happy, generate positive cashflow. And Yao Ming has also benefited from this employment, NBA playing time, good (but not great) coaching, international exposure. He has earned millions in salary and endorsement income. Good for him(employee)!

For the money he has been paid, he has more than fulfilled his end of the bargain. Les has profited handsomely from increased cashflow/team valuation. Good for Les(owner)!

Rockets are winning.. Good for the Fans(customers)! Good for management(CD, JVG)!

However, Yao Ming can ask for something in return for next season. "Get me what I want or I will walk away a free agent at the end of the season." He gets no help at PF, with Mo/Juwon lingering contacts, there is no team foolish enough to trade with.
    FA signing is the only way to go, eat the luxury tax if necessary.

I would have no respect for Yao Ming and Team Yao if he does not demand a competent PF who can share the dirty work and a PG who can pass to him. If owner/management/team mates/fans only want to talk about loyalty, commitment to team, more effort etc, it's a sure sign that they need you but are unwilling to pay the price.

Demand what he wants in return, or go somewhere else where he can get a better deal. With one year(team option) left, he has a lot of options, including San Antonio. Especially when he does not need a max contract to prosper since he will get many times that in endorsement income when he plays well.

It's just business, done the American way.

#69 lwong, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  10. david_chen

david_chen Member

I'd say Yao is heading to LA or Golden State Warriors.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'd say I can't believe there are people dumb enough to believe Yao Ming wants to leave, and will do so. Newsflash, the entire world does not revolve around the guy and just because he has a few bad games doesn't mean anything in regards to staying and going. Not to mention the fact the Rockets will be able to pay him more than other teams.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I voted 50%. Two years ago I would have voted 100%. Ming's performance has diminished, and, at present, is in a free-fall. In the last few games he has become a role player. He appears very frustrated and unhappy. If he doesn't adapt and improve in this system he will not resign. If he does, he signs.

13. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Are you dumb enough to believe Yao is happy with JVG, his current role in the team, and he would develop to his fullest potential with the current system?

Newsflash: in Yao's world Yao Ming is his #1 concern. Business is business. Yao got to do whatever is best for him. From what I have heard, his priority is to develop to his full potential and win a medal for China in 2008 Olympics.

Newsflash: Money is often on the low-end of Yao's priority list. See Nike/Reebok for example. If you believe Houston could offer a little (5%) more than other teams and that's the deciding factor in Yao's decision, better think again!

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

100%.

Give or take 0%.

There is absolutely no chance Yao doesn't get a max extension.

15. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I agree with you on that. However, my original question was whether he would sign such an extension.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I was unclear, my apologies.

He will sign that extension. 100% guaranteed. I'll make a $100 tipjar bet on it.

17. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

What a load of BS. :rolleyes:

So you want Yao to DEMAND that he goes to a team that has a great point guard AND power forward AND great shooters...So what is the point of having Yao when everyone else on the team is doing the work? :confused:

If Yao demands to be traded to the best team in basketball(the spurs) so he can ride the coat tails of TD to a championship then he's more pathetic than he's playing now. Hell, if you guys are disappointed in the touches he's getting now, you'll REALLY be disappointed when he's the 3rd or 4th option behind TD/parker/Ginobili. With the slow down offense they run it might be even worse than here. Hell, with all the Yao this and Yao that crap that's been going on with this board I might not mind...

18. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Yao Ming is not about the money, BUT he's also not about the stats. either. Come on, does Yao Ming strike you as a guy that cares how many touches he gets? He's all about winning, loyalty, and team commitment. I seriously find it hard to believe that Yao would leave JUST because he's not getting the ball enough. That is so unyaoish.

19. GRENDEL

If that were in his nature he would demand the ball in the paint and I think we wouldn't even be having this covnersation but apparently Yao is a Bull once he's off the court, demanding trades and what not. :rolleyes:

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yao Ming is not being treated bad by Houston, or the coaches, and I see no indication he wants to leave. And like I said Houston also can pay him more than any other team. It's all the Yao fans on this board who think he should/will leave because he isn't getting as many touches as he should, etc. That's why there are polls like this in the first place. It's not because of some actual factual evidence that he is considering bolting. It's because a lot of them only care about his numbers and want him to go to another team where they think he'll suddenly average 30 points a game. These polls are foolish, bottom line, unless you actually find some sort of evidence that he is pondering leaving. Until then, these fans just look like babies, whining about anything they can about how Yao isn't being treated properly, even though it really isn't the case. There isn't a vendetta from the team/coaches on getting him plays and touches, that's for sure. The refs seem to possibly be a different story, but that won't change just because he changes teams.