1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Yao sign a contract extension in October?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What are the odds that Yao signs a contact extension with Rockets this October?

1. 100%

141 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 75%

69 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 50%

65 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 25%

27 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 0%

56 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I understand all those points but the start of the season was everyone deffering to Yao.

Look I'm a Yao fan but look at what happened when we tried to make him our primary scoring option.

Yao needs to find a way to a) stay in the and not get in foul trouble b) find a way to score.

I understand his limitations on the defensive end but he still needs to find a way to contribute points wise.

The Rockets will make him a very good offer and he'll resign.

2. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

The Rocket Knew what kind of player Yao is, How good Yao will be in the league, they just overrate Tmac's outside touch and defence skill, took bad part of that mega trade.

I believe the rockets will try everything they could to make sure him to stay, but Yao wasn't just play for himself but for whole asian NBA markteing, so the NBA and TEAM YAO will find the way make sure Yao will be success in a certain franchise which using his telents properly.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don't think he wants to be built around. I don't think he wants the responsibility of being "the man". The Rockets have continuously tried to push him into being a leader and he has continuously dodged that responsibility.

I for one hope the Rockets do not just GIVE the team back to Yao after Mcgrady has taken it away from him. He should have to EARN the team back. For once in his career he should have to pay his dues. He's been given everything his entire career without ever having to earn it.

I mean, his rookie season he was already appointed the franchise player of this team. He was already voted into the all-star team over Shaq without deserving it. Ask Mcgrady, Garnett, J.O'Neal, Nowitzski how long it took for them to pay their dues and earn their status as the franchise players for their teams.

4. GRENDEL

Overrate T-mac? Come on, that just silly. The whole reason for bringing T-mac over to combine him with Yao.

Both of them know that and know that staying together will be the best for them.

I really don't think Yao or his adviser would be that short sited to get him to another team simply because this year he's in a bit of a slump.

5. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

You right, Yao was struggled in early stage of the season, with Yao focus on the offence end and Rocket front court starting lineup had ZERO defence, teams took advantage of rocket front court poor defence rotation, either score lots of points off PnR or draw the faults on Yao, that's bad part of that mega trade rocket have to sowllow, since the meeting with JVG and Tmac, Tmac took the focal point of the rockets offence role and Yao on defence, rocket begin to win, not only just winning and win big game, but all the focus on D, Yao become more and more none effect on O, I don't think he is happy right now, so.....

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Please specify what the Rockets had done to put Yao in a situation that he will excel instead of making his life tougher under the paint.

Those two trades had done wonders to Tracy in freeing him from ball handling responsiblities. Have the Rockets addressed the biggest issue for Yao at 4 and 1? None.

7. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Yao need the shooters to open the floor for him, last season cat and JJ are over 41% 3 pointer shooters, and now Tmac is just barely 35%, not even mention his awful shot selection, i know you guys love tmac so much right now, he is god in rocket, but don't let the fact fool yourself.

8. GRENDEL

And that team got bumped in the first round.

9. fa7999

fa7999 Member

It was no shame to lose to a team with 4 HOFers. San Antonio and Minny, two of the best teams last season, also lost to that team in a decisive manner.

On the other hand, this team has a good chance of not even getting into the first round action.

10. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Juwan, Maurice and spoon are bod contracts utill 2007, nobody will take those guys except rocket take even bad one, I pretty sure Yao willl stick those guys at least three more years, and struggle three more years....

11. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Without Kobe miracle last shot, Rockets could face the Kings, Who knows what's going to happen, maybe second round.

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

So adding 2 shooters to the team benefits Mcgrady but not Yao?

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

business is business..

alot of big names test the market even if they plan to resign with their team's.

I think Yao will want to learn what his market value is and teams will be breaking down his door to sign him.

J

14. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Adding Wesley was due to rockets sucks on Premieter D, as far as Barry, just check the scorebox what kind of shooter he is.

15. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

The rockets don't have to break down the door for Yao, you don't know how great the relationship between CD and Yao, CD treat Yao as part of his family and Yao feels too, but as you said Busines is business....

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Check the scoreboard? I don't know what you're watching but Jon Barry is shooting 46.9% on his 3-pointers.

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

It helped Tracy's game much more, any reasonable Rockets fans can see that.

It is a consensus that in order for Yao's game to prosper, he needs: 1) bruisng 4; 2) a quality 1; 3) outside shooters to KD open jumpers from the outside. If you compare this year's team with last year's, we are significantly downgraded at 1) and 2). Last year we led the lead in 3 pointer shooting and this year we are just in the middle of the pack. Even Tracy is a volume shooter who is a mediocre outside shooter at best.

Only idiots will believe that the Rockets have been building the team around Yao. Of course Yao might be an idiot and have been led into believing this rebuilding around him conspiracy.

18. GRENDEL

The Kings beat a much better Mavs team last year. I still think we would have gotten bounced

Well, we could all day with what if... What if J. Jackson hits that shot to win the game at the end of game 1 or Laker series.

Point is that the reason the trade for T-mac was made was because it was believed that the SF3 team had gone as far as it could go.

T-mac is a great talent. Period. Right now this team is playing very well and that with Yao struggling.

When Yao come around, and he will, this team will be a very good team and I think they can win a first round series and get good experiance for the future.

So again, why would Yao leave if the base for future success is set, yeah we have bad contracts on the books but like you said, who know what can happen.

19. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Great, he is such a great shooter, how come only have average 3 shoot attempt a game, it's kind wierd, i believe one time Bostjan Nachbar was No 1 three point shooter in the league, why rocket trade him???

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so it's your contention that the acquisitions of Wesley, Sura and Barry were not made to help Yao at all...is that correct?