1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Yao sign a contract extension in October?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What are the odds that Yao signs a contact extension with Rockets this October?

1. 100%

141 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. 75%

69 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 50%

65 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 25%

27 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 0%

56 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

What are the odds you believe Yao will sign a contract extension with Rockets in October? I used to believe that Yao would be a Rocket for life, but I am not sure now.

1. The current Rockets team plays completely around T-Mac. In the Spurs game, T-Mac shot 28 FG and Yao shot 8 FG. Yao's role has been reduced to a decoy in the offense and a big body in defense. Rockets are winning. Fans are happy. JVG saved his job. But is Yao Happy? Is Team Yao happy? Tyson Chandler can fill that role at a much better price and he is even more athletic.

2. In JVG’s system, Yao has been asked to play like Shaq only in the low-block. Obviously Yao has done an aweful job in filing that role. Obviously he is no where as strong as Shaq. No other big man in the league plays like Shaq, like KG/ Duncan/ Amare/J O'Neal/ Dirk/ Webber. All of them are very versatile. Yao USED TO BE very versatile in his rookie year. He could hit a 20 feet jumper with ease. He could set up play in the high post/elbow, making mind-blowing passes. I even remember Yao drove from corner all the way to the basket for a layup. Versatility makes defender honest and makes offensive player much harder to guard. IMO, Yao is misused completely by JVG and I don't see any sign of changes. Right now, Yao is often rendered useless when he is mugged by defenders in the paint and refs don't call anything.

3. Loyalty. I used to believe loyalty would be the only deciding factor for Yao to be a Rocket for life. But to get loyalty in return, you have to give loyalty in the first place. I am sure Yao has completely understood that NBA is all business by now. The only player still on the Rockets team when Yao joined in Maurice Taylor, but he may not last another month. Yao knows he could achieve much more in a better system. He knows Rockets would never trade him because of his marketability, even he is ineffective in JVG’s system. But is it best for his interest? Remember Yao’s ultimate goal is to win an Olympic medal in 2008. He need to be in an effective system to develop.

4. Chemistry. From the on-court expression, I felt JVG has been disgusted by Yao's poor play. T-Mac and Sura too. I am sure Yao is even disgusted by his own play. He seems to just settle for whatever JVG is telling him to do on the court. By the time Yao get fed up, it may already be too late.

#1 lancet, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Maybe Rox should really trade Yao. He's not only wasting Rox time but also the fans' time. :(

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Screwed up on the first one?

I say yes 100%

4. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

If he signs, good for Houston.
    If he doesn't sign, good for himself.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

JVG is destroying Yao Ming!

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Here we go again???:eek:

7. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Good point. I concur.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

So if he signs with Houston it's a mistake?

9. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Probably not: the dudes gotta worry about himself and where his career is headed in the Rockets Organization.

10. big11

big11 Contributing Member

At this rate, absolutely not!

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Fans are the reason that will drive yao out of the town!!!

12. lwong

lwong Contributing Member

Agree with your point about loyalty. I don't think Yao has any illusions left. The NBA is an entertainment business masquerading as a sport league. Everyone for himself, that's the American way.

He should demand a sign and trade to San Antonio, the best team for his development. Rasho is the weakest link in SA's lineup. With Duncan and Yao Ming, the new Twin Towers, the Spurs will dominate the paint.

He does not need a max contract to prosper. When he plays well, his endorsement contracts will be far more lucrative than his basketball income.

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS THREAD!

14. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Yup, nearly everyone in this thread is proof. But actually, I don't think Yao will go anywhere. I'm praying JVG is gone at the end of the season and we bring in a coach (Phil Jackson, Del Harris) that knows how to utilize Yao and McGrady together. JVG is sucking at it. Plus the fans will go back to loving Yao as soon as he begins playing as he should. Even now more fans love Yao being here than idiots that want him traded. I really duno why this board seems to be filled with more who want him gone. I guess a 3rd year center performing like Yao has is not up to their Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan expectations? I duno. But luckily the ones that want him gone are not running the Rockets.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Rockets without Yao Ming are the 2003-04 Orlando Magic.

Yes, he will receive an extension for the max.

16. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

He is not going to play the role of K.cato for rest of his career. so it says NO WAY.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I way would we do this again? Esp. to SA?

Yes, he'll sign.

I'm sorry but Yao's play is all on him, no one else. He need to have a desire to improve and to work through this tough stretch.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

There is no loyalty in sports world as the still naive Yao gradually begins to realize. As such, he and his team will probably look for the best opportunity there that might be a better fit for him to excel and also win a big prize.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Les would strangle CD with a garden hose
    if he did this deal to a conference rival
    esp one
    of the caliber of the spurs

Rocket RIver

20. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Of course, He has desire to improve himself, he was improving his number year by year, but you can't teach big, no matter what he couldn't turn into himself another mutombo, Yao is Yao, Yao's strength is his great offence skills, if the team couldn't use his strength and force him play the role which he wasn't good at, Yao won't be successful whatsoever, if the rockets won't build team around him next season, i don't see any reason he will resign his extension.