1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Yao give up his MAX CONTRACT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hayibara Ai, May 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's been 3 straight years. the rockets basically vastly reduced yao's practice time and game time minutes. it's going to be a continuing problem. yao admitted it in an interview on ABC today. he said he has to just deal with it.

2. fashiondesigner

Agreed! Basketball skills will never be all of the business! I wish yao can leave houston!

3. roxwin

roxwin Member

seems like some of Rox fans think Yao got nowhere to go but stays with Rox,are they living in the real world?

4. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Another thing they'll do is offer themselves for less money :rolleyes:

Some people here are so stupid, lol.

Prisoner's dilemma. If we don't resign Yao for max, another team will. I guarantee another big city (New York) will. Whether or not Les can live with that is the question. Your opinion is just one of many out there.

5. MadSkillz

MadSkillz Member

I predict Yao goes to LA for a max contract-- wow Yao, Pau, Odom, Kobe.. that would be almost illegal....

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Fixed.

Yao should go to any team that doesn't need him to perform 35+ minutes. Lakers would be a good fit for him.

Plus, Bynum is a legit backup C. Not starting 5 material, but a backup 5.

7. absent2007

absent2007 Member

Clear your mind first...NBA is business then sports...

Does Yao worth the Max? Maybe not...

But Do Houston offer him a Max, hell yes...He brings $$$$$$

If Houson let him go...Wait and see...he'll get MAX somewhere else

8. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

It would be illegal. The NBA has this thing called a salary cap. Mind explaining how LA could afford Yao, especially considering the insane money they gave Bynum?

9. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

By the way can someone explain why you should pay max money to a guy that needs a backup? Why not just pay a guy that can play all the time?

10. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Right now LA can't even see their salary cap, they are way above that cap..... that cap is a dot to them.... :D

11. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I'm not too sure about the salary cap business, but wasn't New York around $160 million payroll a while back? That was ridiculous -- with both Marbury and Francis.

12. zbb1223

zbb1223 New Member

stay or leave? this is a problem.
    but i think it's a good choice to leave for one ring.
    maybe heats is best choice.

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

people, stop being freckin delusional.

whatever you may think Yao is worth as a player, thats entirely your own opinion. and you could be justified in thinking whatever amount of salary you think yao is worth.

bottom line: YAO IS GETTING A MAX CONTRACT NO MATTER WHAT..unless u go carjack him and shoot him in the chest...

I mean, other than basketball value, do you not think about his commercial value at all? In my opinion he is worth the max contract on his basketball skills alone, but added in with his commmercial value, if I was an NBA owner I'd pay no matter what it takes to get him on my team.

---one of top 2 centres in the NBA

---top offensive centre for sure

---1.3 billion entourage

---heart, passion, work ethic, demeanour,

---MARKETING POTENTIAL

---PERENNIAL MVP CANDIDATE

so hes not worth the max??? say whaaaaaaa???

14. alexford

alexford Member

6th man ,haha,are you kidding? :eek:

15. gotoguy1982

gotoguy1982 Member

Are u kidding?
    Can u find out another big guy who can play 40+min every night beating the fronting or double team and get 20+10?
    D.HOWARD?SHAQ?GASOL/BYNUM?
    Look at their contracts, YAO of course deserve a max contract.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

ummm?

17. gotoguy1982

gotoguy1982 Member

I fully agreed with your opinion except last one.
    YAO has no chance to be MVP just because he's a foreigner.
    He cannot get enough respect from refs even meeting Pryzbilla and ODEN.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree with your sentiment. But I don't think the Rockets are as much in the driver's seat in the contract situation as you make it out to be. Plenty of players have jumped ship to a bad team for money. And plenty of bad teams have handed out major money to 30 year old players.

In addition, the biggest point you're missing is that the Rockets CANNOT afford to let Yao go without returns. If he perceives any deal the Rockets offer him as an insult, he'll simply leave. It's not like he hasn't turned down more money before(Reebok over Nike). And he can more than make up any salary shortcomings if he goes to a major market anyway like LA or NY.

So really, it's a matter of whether the Rockets resign Yao for the max, or they make a sign&trade deal to give him to a contender. In the end, Yao will get the max.

Due to the salary cap for top players based on service time, these rankings don't exactly reflect the market value of each player.

19. fledarr

fledarr Member

I believe Yao would not resign with the Rockets hence he would move to another team which gives him more prospects for championship. I am not saying that the Rockets is not a competitive team, but in fact this Rockets team is full of passion, toughness and resiliency. But for the management, I mean particularly the owner Les, has truly treated Yao with less respects, which would hurt Yao deeply.

Yao has been staying Houston for 7 seasons, and never has Les visited his Yao's home town whether for business or pleasure, though Les has gained lots of contracts and sponsors from China, but in public or not, Les has somehow already shown that he had less respects to Chinese and Yao is a Chinese. Also, Les rarely really talked to Yao or asked Yao's feeling with the team and the opinion about the proposal trades,etc, just like SF3 leaving in which case they put Yao to be the one last to know. We all know stamina is Yao's achilles heel, and as a traditional center, Yao need a true PG, but will Les really pay his money to buy a good PG or get a young athletic backup center for Yao? No, it has been 7 seasons since Yao was picked by Houston and nothing really improved. Les has already said he would not pay big money for trading contracts this summer, and did I mention who rejected the trades for Billups and Price last summer?

Business is business, and it's all about the moneyhood. Les lives in NY, and only comes to Houston for visits, and he has his business in NY too. The Rockets is Les's pet but not a team he really loves. Les knows nothing about basketball, while Les does make some vital decision depending on his personal interests like the rejection to T-Mac Billups trading last summer.

Will Yao resign with the Rockets? I will say no. Les ever said he could pay that Chinese(Yao) 15m more and would not believe Yao would not sign a deal. Will Yao really has problem with money? I will say no. Les has never understood Yao's work ethics and Les did underestimate Yao's heart of a Champion.

There are somethings that money can not buy.

20. B.Jafrade

B.Jafrade New Member

i think the point is how to deal with TMC, don't you think it's now Yao's big concern? He wants the ring more than dollars, i saw from his eyes in the games.....