1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Weeden Earn a contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ZomgZ, Dec 27, 2015.

1. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Hes looking like a really good find. I know the development in dallas was huge for him, but at 33, whats his peak, or is this a short career guy, kinda like Scola. He looks like a great quarterback, like who is this guy lol...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he's a good QB to have on your roster if you were foolish enough to hitch your wagon to Brian Hoyer, but pretty much any normal team would have no use for him.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not unless he comes in to replace Hoyer for an injury and leads us deep into the playoffs.

4. conquistador#11

as a back up some where? I hope so. he has earned it. that's what a good back up does. no doubt yates and weeden have saved the season. you have to move the chains to put up points. 4-0.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hoyer>Mallett>Weeden>Yates

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Every QB looks good after two games. From TJ Yates to Case Keenum to Fitzy to Ryan Mallet. There's that nice honeymoon period for backup QB's entering O'Brien's system, where opposing teams don't understand their tendencies yet.

The only QB who didn't look good after two games was...Hoyer. But I guess if you count his games up in halves, maybe he got there by half #5.

The point is that everyone comes down to earth eventually. Unless you get a talented QB who can actually read defenses and adapt game to game based on what is being schemed against him, you're gonna have a low ceiling on the QB you are fielding.

Gotta draft one high and take a chance for once. O'Brien doesn't want to do it because it puts him on the spot, makes him vulnerable to actually lose his job if it doesn't pan out. But he has to do it eventually. He's gotta commit.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, Hoyer fan till the end, that's awesome.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No. QBs next year will be Hoyer, Savage, Rookie. Bank on it.

If the Texans do draft a rookie, it will help tremendously to have a vet QB who knows the system on the roster. Hoyer knows the system. Wheeden doesn't, had a limited package to work with, and had to split time with an option QB who attempted his first ever NFL pass today.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the worst, most disappointing thing I've seen posted on this forum ever. Given BOB's ridiculous affection for Hoyer, I wouldn't put it past him, but hopefully Bob McNair would step in and veto that. Hoyer needs to head to the glue factory no matter who they go with.

10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Ummmm.... No

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Who is Will Wheeden?

12. Cannonball

Funny, I have the same thought every time I see you've made a new post.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Weeden, the Great

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. Hoyer has led our team from the depths of embarrassment and now we are on the cusp of another AFC South championship. He is our franchise quarterback of the moment. I would keep Weeden as a backup mainly because Hoyer seems susceptible to injuries.

15. Cannonball

I just don't think they're going to get rid of Savage. Add a rookie and a vet (Hoyer, most likely) and that's 3 QBs. No room for a 4th.

Main reason I see Hoyer being on the team is that he knows the system and that's going to be a plus if they bring in a rookie to be the future franchise QB. Little point to bring in a vet who doesn't know the system to tutor the rookie.

16. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Am pretty sure Savage is gone. Why would the Texans keep him? Hasn't shown anything except get injured all the time. Plus he is a 4th round pick which doesn't mean much. I think next year its going to be Hoyer, Hack and BJ on the practice squad

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, Hoyer's stellar leadership and impeccable play has led the team to 3 wins against the Titans, Jags, and Saints. Where would we be without that!?!?!?!

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

If Texans are gonna roll with a vet, I'd rather it be RGIII, Bradford or Kaepernick over Hoyer and that's saying something. :eek:

19. Cannonball

4th round picks are not supposed to play right away. If they were expected to, they wouldn't have been 4th round picks. 4th round picks are guys who need a couple of years to develop that you hope pan out, if not as a starter then a backup. So why do people get pissed if they don't play right away?

A guy like Savage, who has tools but little college experience, is the exact type of guy who should hold a clipboard for a couple of years. I guarantee you the Texans did not draft him expecting him to play the first two years. So why should they cut him? The plan wasn't for him to play yet and he hasn't played. So what's changed, really? Nothing.

I think the Texans had a plan for his development and they've invested two years in him and they're not just going to abandon their plan until it plays out. From what was said in the preseason, it sounds like the staff was actually very high on him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people always say that QBs should sit for a couple of years, even first rounders (aka, the Aaron Rodgers model), instead of playing right away. But nobody actually wants to wait while that happens.

I'm not saying Savage will or won't do anything in the league. I just think the the Texans drafted him not expecting to know the answer to that question for a few years and that they're not going to dump him because they didn't get the answer before they expected to.

If they're willing to get rid of a later round QB before he's had a sufficient opportunity to develop, then why bother drafting a later round QB in the first place?

#19 Cannonball, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

OP said the Dallas experience was "huge" for Weeden. Is this really a widely held belief? Or is it born from a good game against the titans who haven't won 3 games in a row since 2011?