1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Video Game Pros Be Like Sports Pros

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

What if by that time we don't have next games....just upgrades. You're subscribed to this crazy online world and then instead of having to re establish a user base again they just upgrade the entire system to the next chapter of the game in a new location?

2. dback816

dback816 Member

Well, I don't exactly remember anything more memorable you posted so, yes, that's what I go by :grin:

And no, that was not black comedy. That was downright racism. People already called you out for it and you're lucky, or should I say, you were at least smart enough to not pick black people for your "comedy".

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Member

Lol. Just because a pretty boy is good at video games, doesn't mean he's going to garner an audience like athletes do.

As an avid gamer, I can appreciate the many hours spent learning all of the technicalities of whatever game they're training to be great at. But I also work out regularly and understand that athletes put themselves through punishment to be great at what they do. To be great at either is a lifestyle... but I certainly respect the sacrifices of the athlete far more.

My 2 cents.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Do you ever watch poker tournaments on TV or online? If you do, do you say I respect athletes more than the poker pros? Same situation here, you do not have to think they put in more time or effort than athletes, just that you will watch them sometimes.

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Member

I do not. Not fast enough for me.

"Watch them sometimes" - I can't say I would ever do this... even for a game I really like. To me it's kinda like watching a buddy playing a video game... really boring 80% of the time. I would rather be playing and engaged. If video games want to find a way to appeal to mainstream audiences (worldwide, not just South Korea), they will need to find a way to engage the audience or produce a social environment - i.e. tailgating, going to a bar to have drinks, etc.

6. Katsu

Katsu Member

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/ne...ial/one-world-championship-32-million-viewers

There are also bars here in Australia that showed the tournament so...

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Member

I believe the hype. I think there's potential...

Why have I not seen this or cared? I played WC3 for 10 years, visit Reddit almost daily, and play 8-12 hours of video games a week. I'm still not interested. You would think the fandom and attention would come naturally as I probably fall into the 'target market', but I just don't see the likelihood of video games ever reaching popularity of sports or pro-gamers receiving the adoration that athletes do.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Could people in 1800s have imagined the stardom of movie stars and sports stars today? How much star power did the athletes in the very early stages of NBA NFL have? Things change, I am not sure for the better though as more and more kids play video games instead participate in sports.

9. Nook

Nook Member

It won't.....

The amount of fat, smelly, out of shape morons addicted to video games is scary.... so who will watch them? Other fat, smelly, out of shape morons addicted to video games..... the problem is that these mouth breathers are now becoming more of the norm, because it is easy to be fat, smelly and out of shape.

Thus my guess is that these wretches will eventually watch video game tournaments on par with bass fishing tournaments and maybe extreme wrestling.

10. Katsu

Katsu Member

There aren't even that many fat neckbeards in the pro scene... probably <1 per LoL team.

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Today's average joe, average jane and the mainstream media still believes that video games are uncool, geeky, only for kids and a waste of time. That stigma will not change anytime soon.

Also, traditional sports have an added social element for casual fans. Even if the fan doesn't understand half the rules of the football game, it's still a nice party experience for him, his SO and their friends.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There's so many sweeping stereotypes here. Like the fat, smelly, blah blah blah blah blah. I've seen the audiences at these things. It's not just fat smelly basement dwellers (there's probably minimal of these) and Asians.

On top of that, have you seen the slobs who watch football? Are you kidding me? There's fat smelly slobs everywhere. We live in America.

Also lots of athletes play. Gordon Hayward and Jeremy Lin (DOTA) just to name a few.

The facts still remain that video game interest is growing exponentially. Esports have grown exponentially. And there are many more sponsors for Esports than even ten years ago.

For those of you saying that competitive video game play wont be a huge thing, you're just flat out wrong. It is already getting there.

I will say though that video games probably wont overtake conventional sports in any way, ever.

Let's revisit this topic in 10 more years.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I think the stigma against video games is changing some... the problem is that most of those that play a whole lot ARE losers...

So while they become more popular, and playing them does not necessarily make one a loser... the fact that so many hardcore gamers are losers makes it self fulfilling.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Playing video games is one thing...... being a hardcore gamer is another....

There are many, many, many young people that play video games, no doubt it is already very popular.

However, there are a lot of gamers out there that are smelly, fat losers... they tend to spend many, many hours inside playing. My buddy owns a video game store... when I go to visit his store, the hardcore players are usually socially akward dorks or mouth breathers with crappy jobs..... I always point them out to him in his store, and he rolls his eyes and says to not accost his dungeon minions.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Member

I do not disagree there are losers that plays video games.
    What about plenty of high school athletes who became McDonald workers after high school?

16. Nook

Nook Member

They are often depicted as losers or idiots ..... look at Napoleon Dynamite or Married With Children...... the difference is that sometimes they are harder to pick out.

Also, physically being active is viewed as a positive, as compared to some fat kid hiding in his parents basement playing COD 12 hours a day.

The world is changing though.... maybe video game tournaments will become big time.... look at Poker Tournaments.... those guys are not exactly physical specimens...

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

First thing is I think e-sport and it's popularity is still in it's infancy. But it's already high enough that one can probably live off tournament winnings if you're the top of the heap, look at their 2013 tournament earnings.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/history/2013/top_players

However, the sponsorship money actually help most players deal with the day to day expenses even without the tournament earnings.

I also don't know if it's true that the top players are fat/smelly. Top Dota 2 and SC2 teams.
    http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/amazing-dota-2-the-international-3/

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/e-sports-onrpg-january-28th-report/

Not necessary boy bands but I also don't see that many out of shape players.

18. AFS

AFS Member

This is arguable. If you take a franchise like COD, it's pretty much the same game every time, regardless of whether it's COD4, MW3, BlOps2, etc. Aside from the few tweaks and map changes in every edition, it's the same game. The tweaks can be analogized to the different rule changes that the NBA goes through every year.

At the same time, you then have video games like LoL that have been around a while and do seem to have the kind of staying power you want. I don't think the staying power has to be for decades. Around five to seven years of staying power is probably enough.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yeah, it will eventually be on the same standing as athletes. Still a long way to go, but it is going that direction.

A lot of old fogies in this thread, lol.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

they absolutely get endorsements and sponsors, they are just aimed at a different demographic than the typical sports fan