1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Trump balance the budget?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by calurker, Nov 11, 2016.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Or is he going to balloon our deficit? I heard he just wants to print money.

Not that I really care. Almost all my assets are non-cash assets. But it hurts the poor. You know, the people who voted for him.

2. amaru

amaru Member

When is the last time this nation has had a balanced budget?

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Congress makes the budget. Right?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doubtful. The kind of Republicans he likes are free spending Republicans so I'd expect them to have a lot of say over what is pushed. It'll still be better than we got from the Democrat controlled congress during the Obama years and the last Bush year, but it won't go far enough.

5. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

The opposite. Increased spending and a large tax cut is what I'd expect.

No Worries likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Massive tax cuts and big increases in spending - hello 40 Trillion. Wonder why the Repubs won't shutdown the gov't this time.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only Obama could get away with literally doubling the national debt in 8 years. Even the most free spending Republican (or someone pretending to be one) would never manage that.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't think he will and the fact the the national debt was higher under President Obama under a free spending republican controlled congress it will be much worse.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hope so. Your guess is as good as mine.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not exactly honest, but I understand how that works around here. Under a congress controlled by the Democratic party we had several years of 1 trillion+ annual deficits, when the free spending Republicans took over, they managed to get it back down under 500 billion dollars a year.....you know, close to where it was before the Democrats took control of congress.

You have the fiscally irresponsible party (Republicans) and the really really ridiculously fiscally irresponsible party (Democrats)

Sadly you have no alternative.

panamamyers and cml750 like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The end of deficit fetishism for its own sake probably a good thing.

Of course, nothing else about this is a good thing, so if I can just point to infinity more good things I'm back to even.

Nook likes this.
  12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

When a Clinton was in the WH....

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Can Republicans hold themselves hostage when it comes time to raise the debt ceiling?

14. Major

Major Member

Do you just make stuff up? Reagan nearly tripled the national debt in his 8 years. It increased under 4 years of Bush Sr. by over 50%. Bush Jr. increased it by nearly the same percentage as Obama. In other words, each of the last 3 Presidents were as bad or worse than Obama on that issue. You just didn't seem to care because there was an R by their names. And none started off with nearly as high deficits as Obama - for both Bush Jr and Reagan, annual deficits increased during their terms. In Obama's case, the highest deficit was during the first year with a budget that was already established - it was primarily due to the sudden drop in 2009 revenues due to the 2008 crash.

Nook, No Worries and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Your notion of cause and effect is pretty poor. Trump isn't inheriting a severe global economic crisis when he gets sworn in.

No Worries likes this.
  16. what

what Member

No republican president has ever knew anything about budget balancing. For all their talk about big government, they are generally much worse at it than any democrat ever is.

If you want a good economy, you need a democratic president and a republican congress. That's the secret sauce.

17. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

If you can't balance checkbook, how can you balance budget?

If bankruptcy is lifelong pattern..... keep tRUMP away from budget.

Dumb people don't get budget.

Build That Wall- Ruin That Budget

Deport Them All - Ruin That Budget

Bomb the ISIS- Ruin That Budget

Chinese Proverb: Man who can't balance 2 ideas at same time need to stay far away from budget.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hell no, he's already pushing a dumb stimulus bill just like Obama did when he was first elected

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Most of Trump's business ventures have ended in chapter 11, and you think he can balance a budget?

justtxyank likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lol

Trump wants to dramatically increase military spending and pass a huge infrastructure bill bigger than any in history while at the same time giving us the lowest tax rates in modern history and making corporate tax rates among the lowest in the world.

Sounds like a good way to balance a budget. Oh well, in the mid terms I'm sure all of his voters will be back to the deficits don't matter mantra

jbasket likes this.