1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will These Lakers Win a Title?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by johnnybravo, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Do the Kobe/Nash/Howard Lakers have a title in their future?

1. Signs point to yes

100.0%
  2. Outlook not so good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Call me now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

There's no denying the talent this team possesses. Every starter, 1 through 5, has played in the All-Star game. Howard clearly makes the team better, and makes them a contender. His defense should allow Kobe and Metta to be more aggressive on their own defense, and help negate the putrid defense of Nash.

But will that lead to Championships? Or even one?

We've seen teams like this fail in the past. The Heat had to learn how to play together before they reached the throne. The Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers were unsuccessful. As were our own Big Threes -- though a certain bear hug didn't help us out any.

While Howard is young and in his prime, this is clearly the oldest "Super Team" in the league today. Skills are declining, and injuries are more likely.

A part from injuries, I honestly feel like Kobe may be the undoing of this team's success.

During the Olympics, Doc Rivers had a great quote to the extent of "Superstar players are more willing to take a lesser role on a new team, than accept not being 'The Man' any longer on their own team." There have been few players whose will has been as important to their success as Kobe. Even in a star studded roster in the Olympic team, there were times where he clearly wanted to take over and ignored the rest of the team. Be it the decline of his talent or the difference in Olympic play vs the NBA game, it rarely looked pretty.

I think this team's window is much smaller than many are giving them. If it doesn't work immediately -- and apart from the Boston Celtics, I can't think of any recent team that has -- then I only see their championship hopes becoming bleaker going forward.

2. dragician

dragician Member

until Nash retires... they'll keep winning.

3. RockSC

RockSC Member

I think OKC is still capable of giving them trouble. So is Heat. Other than that, they will destroy any team in the playoffs.

4. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

its basically up to OKC to stop them.

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Did you have to make a new thread about this?.....

6. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

I really like OKC's chances. If Artest/Kobe get too aggressive on D with Howard controlling the paint, KD/Westbrook can still destroy you from the midrange game. Perkins has had success against Dwight in the past, too.
    Has there been an old thread about this? Not that I have seen, and I think there's an interesting discussion to be had.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I hope not. The super-team thing needs to stop.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hope they reach the finals over OKC, at least this year. I want to see Kobe play Lebron in the finals. I want to see if Kobe can turn it up and outshine the new blood. I know what Jordan would do at that age, in that situation... not sure Kobe has it in him.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I can't see that team staying healthy. So no they don't win a title

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I actually want to see him retire soon.....
    Without him.... at least might be less drama in LA

11. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Nash can't play D and is too old (about to be 40?). He'll put up some numbers but that's about it. Kobe is going to be 34 soon and he's lost a step or two. If this was Kobe from 2 or 3 years ago, then maybe they've got a chance against OKC. Both Pau and World Peace aren't the players they were a few years ago. I only see Dwight pimpin' on the team. Not going to happen

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i don't know but the one team that i keep thinking of when i see the lakers is OKC because i think there the only team that could possibly beat the lakers imo

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

maybe maybe no.

14. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Besides Jamison, who else does the Lakers even have coming off the bench that's worth mentioning? OKC and even Clippers are way more deep.

15. lionaire

lionaire Member

Blake, Meeks and Hill lol

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Their backcourt D is going to be severely lacking. I suspect Kobe may begin to more saliently show signs of age this year, and he was a criminally overrated defender to begin with. Artest is probably all but worthless by now on both ends. Nash is way over the hill and will be TORN APART by any athletic PG (imagine what Westbrook will to do them).

I don't see them beating the Heat, and I think the Thunder will still give them a LOT of trouble. Plus, I think they may be the most injury prone contender.

So I don't think they'll win a title. They're still probably a top three contender, but I don't see them taking it.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

In the spirit of full disclosure, some of that is probably wishful thinking since I BITTERLY hate the Fakers, and I think this trade is just more complete and utter BS in the long line of complete and utter BS that is Fakers history.

Nonetheless, putting my anger and growing disdain for the NBA aside, I still think that team has a lot of holes that some teams will capitalize on.

18. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

OKC and Miami have a good chance of stopping them. The rest of the top seeds have a slim chance at an upset. Unless Dwight, Kobe, Nash, or Pau is injured they have a great chance at winning it all.

19. lalala902102001

It all depends on Dwight. If Dwight plays like the player he was a couple of years ago instead of the whining quitter last season they will be the team to beat in the West.

20. gah

gah Member

Will Phil come back? I wouldn't bet on it but history must not repeat itself in order for him not to.