1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will there be a deal after Moochie?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Dec 30, 2003.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

any deal after moochie?

if there is another deal in the works, what do you think it will be?

it seems that any deal would likely involve cato or mo taylor, with spoon being aquired to provide a suitable back up.

will something go down, or do you think we think the motivation was just for a shorter contract and a roster spot?

2. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

If they stand pat CD needs to be fired and the Rockets will be Lottery bound.

3. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yes, I think another deal is involved, and I believe Cato and Mobley will likely be involved. It will be a blockbuster one, obviously, but one that will make some sense out of the Moochie/Weatherspoon deal.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

just watch and see if any of our key guys gets a dnp tommorrow night...!!!

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Another move may come before the trade deadline but it will have nothing to do with this trade. This trade was about getting rid of Moochie and giving Wilks a chance. I don't think the Rockets really expect to get anything from Weatherspoon.

6. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Wallace for Cato+Taylor

7. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

If we lose Cato, who's going to backup Yao?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's possible that the Rockets might have thought to give Wilkes a chance but he was sitting on the bench behind Moochie.
    I don't know if any deal is in the works but we still need to upgrade our PG spot.

9. DaneB

DaneB Member

I think the trade was pretty good because it gives us another good rebounding presence. Moochie wasn't really cutting it anymore and Amaechi wasn't even playing so how could it not be a good deal for us?

10. MykTek

MykTek Member

i predict another deal...

i predict another deal...

so how interesting we are back to our predictament as during training camp.....over crowded pf position and no backup pg.......now we have cato, taylor, ford, weatherspoon there.....and looksl ike Wilks will be the backup pg.... i think we should bring in an athletic sf....if a.griffin is that...then let it be, but seems he can't get over the injury bug....i was thinking like a guy like maybe like desmond mason....he is getting ok playing time and i think MIL will part w/ him for the right offer....maybe like mobley + taylor for thomas and mason....it would work under the salary cap, but....i think that leaves us w/ a weaker pf position...unless thomas can play the pf at times....but it's something interesting to think about...

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

amaechi was a goner from day one. the rox only need a good backup (currently it's pike) guard to give either francis or mobley a rest or some time out. it's the forwards were we're struggling. eddie's trouble have really messed up houston's seasion and it's beginning to show. spoon is here because we're that desperate for a forward.

12. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I'm willing to put money that we don't pull a trade (at least not any time soon). Remember the Meech for Rice + picks trade that got us the exception? Remember how everybody said we were going to pull the trigger? Look what happened. The way I look at it, Meech, Mooch and Spoon were all untradable (lousy player, worse contracts). There's no way they'd be involved in any trade when not traded for each other. We liked to trade Cato, MoT and Cat. We still need to trade Cato, MoT and Cat. Whatever untradable crap we have on our roster won't change that. The only thing that REMOTELY suggests a trade is the 1 roster space it gives us. But after waiving EG, we already had a roster space. If we REALLY REALLY needed another, the worst we could do is cut Mike Wilks or Alton Ford. I just think it's a move that shortens our lousy contracts.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This would be the deal I would make, with apologies to Grega:

Houston trades: SF Bostjan Nachbar (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.8 apg in 12.3 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Marko Jaric (8.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 27.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.5 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: SG Marko Jaric (8.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 27.0 minutes)
    L.A. Clippers receives: SF Bostjan Nachbar (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.8 apg in 20 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.5 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat, but whats in it for the Clippers?

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nothing at all. Then again, they're the Clippers, so anything's possible.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ever heard of Jim Jackson? Ya, that trade free'd up enough money to sign him.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That was my thinking :D.

18. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

I don't think this trade was necessarily related to a near term trade, however, I believe it means the Rockets are being active and selective in making mid season changes.

We aren't happy with the Rockets play, and neither is JVG. No one can promise a blockbuster, but I'm sure JVG will be pushing for one that will upgrade the team.

The Rockets have been very patient. Past this point, not doing anything might prove too patient.

19. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I'm happy that they finally moved Mooch's contract, but gaining Spoon doesn't really make this team better IMO. The weakest spots are at backup PG and the PF position with Cato (who is reallly a backup C) and MoT not able to hold up the Western front. Look for the Rox to make a move for a veteran G or if they are really ambitious, a contending PF like R Wallace or K Martin, both which have expressed to a degree disatisfaction and a desire to move elsewhere.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The loss of Moochie opens up the backup PG spot, providing the perfect excuse to make my pet trade. Please note beforehand that this trade will involve moving Mobley or Jackson to the PG.

Houston trades:
    Steve Francis

Golden State trades:
    Troy Murphy
    Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    Avery Johnson

our shiny new line-up?

Jackson/Johnson
    Mobley/Piatkowski
    Dunleavy/Nachbar/Griffin
    Murphy/Taylor/Weatherspoon
    Yao/Cato

One or more of: Cato, Taylor, Jackson, Pike, and Nachbar can later be moved for a better PG.