1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Toyota Center CONSISTENTLY SELLOUT NOW with Dwight Howard in Town???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SSP365, Jul 25, 2013.

1. MadMax

MadMax Member

So funny to me. My family had season tickets in the mid to late 90's. From 1994-1998. I used to take friends from college who grew up in other cities..Dallas, DC, Oklahoma, NOLA...and they'd all remark at how passionate Rockets fans were. How crazy it was at those games.

It's possible that it just might have to do with the product on the floor that you're paying to see...and their relative history.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

People worry too much about all this. The arena is sold out and the people that bought the tickets can do whatever they damn well please. Stand up, sit down, leave early, I don't care and it doesn't change my enjoyment of the game.

I watch a lot of NBA games on TV and I see the same thing in other cities, so it's not just a Houston thing.

The things people get all worked up about on Clutchfans is getting ridiculous.

3. MadMax

MadMax Member

Exactly. It's so contrived.

This is a business selling its product. It's the only product I know where the consumers are blamed for not buying, aside from vaccinations for kids. And even when they buy, that's not enough. You have to buy with gusto!!!

So silly. I promise, they don't care. They want your green dollars. They have them in spades.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

Everyone wants the crowd to be like OKC, Portland, or Golden State.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

And the TrailBlazers aren't selling out, despite being the ONLY game in town. Selling at 88.9% clip so far.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

i would reallly reallly love to have 2 red-rowdy esque sections behind both goals. red rowdies are curently at the top of their corner section. imagine having them directly behind the goal down by the bottom and then have a second similiar section on the opposite goal also down by the bottom. thus giving it a more ruckus enviroment against the opposing team and more passionate for the home team rockets.

think of it as a college campus-lite experiment. where schools like duke and others put all the student seatings by the court in order to make it a much more electric enviroment.

i understand the idea of selling the lower bowl tickets for higher prices to higher clientale for better revenue. but these 'fans' are typically not your rabid diehards. they are ussually the business type class who are more reserved and not as passionate.

which is why i propose the endzones idea. it gives off a better home experience vibe for our own players and makes it seem more rambunctious to the away team, while still keeping profits high because the sideline seats are still being sold to the business class and corporations(who dont show up). also the endzone seats are less popular than sideline seats so your not losing as much profit. me personally i would rather sit 2nd level sideline than first level endzone(unless of course it was in my above stated scenario).

anyways just a rant of sorts and a thought that came to me.

tl;dr ehh... who cares.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

yea we are a tired bunch over the years..

looking for something really good to cheer about. well fans its here. no more excuses.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

I would have season tickets, but my problem is the 7:00 tip. I liked it better when it was 7:30. I work in the Med center and cant leave work until about 7:10. By the time I get to the game it's the second quarter...

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

I would have season tickets, but my problem is the cost. I liked it better when it was cheaper. I work in the recyling industry and cant leave work until about 7:10 after i attend school. By the time I would get to the game it's the third quarter...

plus im broke college student.

10. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Still looks pretty empty so far. Go eat at A restaurant a couple blocks away and stay in their parking lot, way better than lots or garages.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

meters are free after 6

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

dude, just drop out of school...

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

Your right, its time to get committed to rockets, future plans be damned.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

Signed,
    Kevin Love

Co-signed,
    LMA

15. Nick

Nick Member

Houston was plenty passionate from 95-98. Was it a result of actual success on the court? Absolutely.

96-97 was truly a special year, fan-wise. They'd already had the taste of winning... and now got to watch a ton of games on the "big stage", as the Rockets national presence was enhanced by Barkley (who actually was busting his ass that year). Fans definitely brought it each and every game.

Hard to get passionate about 1 playoff series win in 16 years. I even think most of the Red Rowdies enthusiasm is fake/contrived. Once this city tastes "real" success... not success on paper... things will get plenty real.

Fans got behind the Astros during the 2004-2005 playoff runs in similar fashion.

16. PositivityDome

Half of the great crowds in the NBA are great because of a very special circumstance; most notably, cities where there's only one pro-sports team. OKC, Sacramento, Portland. These are the crowds were there'd be GREAT energy even if the team flat out sucked.

The other half of great crowds are attributed to the elite teams where the fans know they've got a great product to watch and be excited about, but if the team was mediocore/bad, the energy level would be super low. (Maybe half the teams in the league, including Houston.)

And then there are the two holy meccas of basketball in MSG and Staples (With the Lakers) which always have great crowds.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

The number of people streaming to the exits before the first OT tip last night was absolutely astounding. That's when you leave? Really? We've talked a lot on CF lately about wanting to see more heart from the players, but a lot of the "fans" are no better.

18. DattboyD

DattboyD Member

If I lived in Houston I would like to go to most of them. Seeing all them empty seats is heart breaking!!

19. Raven

Raven Member

I've always thought the location of the arena has a lot to do with it.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

They should be able to do something productive with the no-shows.

1. Charity
    2. Raffle
    3. Rocket Fans
    4. Relatives of Calvin Murphy

There should never be a shortage of people enjoying a Rockets game in person.