1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Toyota Center CONSISTENTLY SELLOUT NOW with Dwight Howard in Town???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SSP365, Jul 25, 2013.

1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

and who cares if it's sold out to begin with. As long as the rockets remain profitable and can afford to put a competitive team on the floor should be your only concern.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I actually don't care about the sell out point, I care about the passion point.

The Toyota Center is lame in terms of fan energy. You see other teams play in their home building and you kind of cringe at how much more energy those fans display. There are times when you watch Rockets games on tv and you hear the shoes squeaking and stuff on the court because there is so little fan noise.

3. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

This. If the team isn't very good then why show up and support them? Less support for a bad team puts pressure on the owner to fix things.

4. westcoastin

westcoastin Member

I'm not clairvoyant, so I can't answer with certainty.

5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

only a couple teams come to mind when you talk really energetic crowds. OKC, New York, and San antonio. other than that no crowds really stand out for being super energetic

6. Nick

Nick Member

Golden St. is probably better than all of them.

7. thumbs

thumbs Member

Your assessment IMO is accurate. Part of the reason may be from fan sticker shock -- $200 for a couple of somewhat decent tickets plus another $100 for munchies and drinks, all prefaced by the hysteria of getting parked and seated and followed by the mad flight from the Toyota Center.

I wonder if the cost and confusion of the TC could be an incentive for fans to avoid the melodrama and plant themselves comfortably in their respective television dens -- surrounded by fans who are friends and family -- with proximity to refreshments and immaculate facilities.

#107 thumbs, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  8. cml750

cml750 Member

meh!!! I refuse to pay for a ticket until the CSN Houston crap is worked out and I can watch games on Direct TV in the Beaumont area. I went to just ONE game last year and that was only because my brother-in-law bought my son and I tickets to a game as a Christmas present. Since he had already paid for the tickets, we went but were really careful to not spend a penny in the arena during the game. I personally blame the teams for the CSN Houston boondoggle. I blame the Stros much more than the Rockets but refuse to put any money in their pockets until I can watch the games on TV.

9. squidi141

squidi141 Member

Rockets better sell out. the economy did not hit Houston the way it did with the rest of the nation. And Houston has a large population. There is no excuse for non-sellout games.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least you own up to it, lol. And it sounds like you're more of a fair weather fan, than a bandwagon fan. That's when you really support one team but only support them when they're good. For example the only MLB team I like is the Astros, but I couldn't give two ****s about them now. But I watched some games when they went to the world series.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Congratulations. You are a douchebag.

12. NotChandlerParsons

I've never let that stop me from posting my bad opinions :p

13. NotChandlerParsons

Rose Garden actually has panels on the ceiling to make it sound louder. What I'm saying is that Les needs to call up the Texas Special Events Fund or whatever and get something like that, because the Toyota Center is too damn quiet on TV.

It's nice and loud when you are in there, in my opinion.

14. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I'm not sure. I doubt it, unless we start doing big things from get go. Would love to see that though. Didn't get the big jumbotron for nothing.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

youre actually what i would consider a fair-weather fan.. band-wagoning has more to do with jumping ship on teams youve rooted for before because they are no longer relevant, hitching your fanhood to the new "in" teams in the process..

majority of the time, the largest percentage of a teams fanbase is fair-weather.. with the dwight signing, the fair-weathers should be more willing to come out and see the games. if the dwight rally is any indication of the fair-weather fans coming out, than the TC crowd should be in good shape. there definitely was die-hards there at the rally, but the fair-weathers came out and put the attendance numbers over the top..

16. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

I think its more like ~ will the fans actually get loud at the Toyota Center. There is this sense of slothness at the TC that may be unjustified it just doesn't appear to have much energy.

Perhaps a change in lighting is in order.

17. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

In fact, why don't all the long-time Houstonians that do attend the games chime in as to why it seems the TC has less energy then a HS basketball game?

18. Dubious

Dubious Member

Selling tickets is the reason the team exists. If they sell the tickets that's success and they do. But, I think the reason the bowl always looks so empty is because the bars in the Toyo are too nice and too big. People just stay up there and drink. I would have to guess that Toyota ranks pretty high for total sales in food and beverages. And besides if you're a guy that has tickets to 40 games a year, your excitement level is a lot lower than people who only get there once or twice, it's just the Law Of Marginal Utility. And NBA games are never decided in the first half. You see the fourth quarter and you see the game.

19. The Beard

The Beard Member

I agree with this in a big way, they don't get my money until they give us the games.

The only thing I disagree with is the Astros being more to blame than the Rockets. They are equal partners in the blame. I think most people blame the Astros more because Jim Crane is not smart and he pops off at the mouth a lot. At least Les has been smart enough to just sit back and shut up

20. The Beard

The Beard Member

Cable companies won't budge because of complaints. These are billion dollar companies and they make decisions for the company overall, not just the Houston area. If thousands and thousands and thousands of customers started to switch to comcast, then the other providers might budge. If the Rockets/Astros lowered the price of their demand a deal might get done. Neither of those seem likely to happen anytime soon