1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Toyota Center CONSISTENTLY SELLOUT NOW with Dwight Howard in Town???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SSP365, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Rocketfan4life

Yea I agree the summit was a B**** to get out after games!

2. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Thanks Madmax, appreciate that! Will def be catching more then a few Rockets games, cant wait for the season, my first Rockets experience is gon be epic. The anticipation is kiling me..

3. Illegal Machine

Traffic wasn't bad leaving the Summit because everyone parking in whatever lots they could find had their cars towed during the game.

4. thadeus

thadeus Member

As I'm sure has already been said in this thread - without a strong television presence, regular season games will suffer.

5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

yeah i usually bought flash tickets also. I liked how convenient it is. i'm sure it'll go up, just by how much is the question

6. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I think it'll get resolved during the regular season. I think enough people will complain that they can't watch the Rockets this year that the cable companies will budge. I hope not though, I want CSN to go bankrupt, the Astros and Rockets to come crawling back to Fox, and everything back to where it should be.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Selling tickets isn't the problem like others have mentioned. They've always been around the middle of the pack in the NBA even when Yao and McGrady were playing as far as sales went. For whatever reason people don't want to show or up show up pretty late, traffic aside (traffic is a lame excuse anyway).

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

Howard alone won't do it just like TMac and Yao didn't do it. It's obvious the Rox need to win, winning means more games on national TV, more ESPN and NBA TV analysts talking about the team, which will generate more excitement, which will put butts in those lower bowl seats.

9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, I remember that. That was so frustrating to watch, a good team with two big names stars and no one paying attention. And yeah we had a new football team, the Astros were consistently winning games and had their own share of superstars, that's still no excuse for not supporting your team.

10. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yes Howard PnR with Lin and Harden. I am going next season!:grin:

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

That's the gamble Leslie has taken by getting tons of sponsors...Surely they will buy up seats, but many of those folks just dont show unless games are meaningful. ie Heat, Lakers, OKC games...Its the way its been. The Rockets can change that by winning and winning more, and people with these tickets have more of an incentive to watch an exciting team play.

Another thing is that once our team either destroys their opponents or are getting shelled themselves, the stands start emptying quick(quite similar to the Miami scene...while we arent that bad, we too have issues staying till the end). Dont really know why? but i guess people wanna beat the traffic(which as many have mentioned, is a terrible excuse.)

12. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

we cant even watch the rockets on TV.......what makes you think we will sell out games:mad:

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Yes, maybe there are a lot of corporate no-shows or fans aren't in their seats because the clubs are better for doing "business", but check the ESPN NBA attendance link posted earlier and sort by % of capacity. We're #16 of 30. Mavs are #2 and Spurs are #8.

Of the teams with higher %, how many are college towns or don't have other Pro sports teams? Jazz, Blazers, Thunder... who else? Magic?, Spurs?(idk)

Sorting on road % we're #6 so clearly we're a good draw on the road. We were #22 the year before so yeah Lin and Harden were a major draw on the road.

I understand the need for kneejerk defense of Rocket fans, but things don't add up. We've talked in the past about high roster turnover and how that hurts or the lack of local TV, but the reality is that maybe the demographics of Houston aren't really as good compared to some of the other NBA cities.

Some of the other teams below us in the % of capacity list are really bad, but many are in cities hard hit by the local economy.

14. StevieCrossover

Look empty. Still dont have comcast, so not. Really excited if I cant keep up with it besides reading about it.

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member

winning cures all of this, it did before & it will again. SA & Dallas both have more recent championships ... let them wallow outside serious contention as long as we have and see what happens to their attendance.

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

I'm not sure about the Toyota Center, but between Lin and Howard everywhere else should sell out.

17. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I think ESPN has the attendance numbers back to 2001. Even in the previous playoff years with Yao the numbers were similar. Mostly middle of the pack, but up to 97% capacity.

18. wise_man

wise_man Member

there will be more sellouts since 06/07 season and yeah more then the astros....

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My brother-in-law is the CEO of large corporation based in San Antonio and has had Spurs season tickets for years. I've used his tickets often when the Rockets have played there, and they're great seats. Those seats are very rarely empty. Maybe that venue doesn't have the bars and stuff where corporate season ticket holders seemingly like to hangout, instead of sitting in the seats. I don't know, because when I go to SA to watch the Rockets, I'm in Rockets gear glued to those lower bowl seats at center court, howling like a loon and getting ribbed by the good natured fans there.

I'll just say this... when seeing the Rockets is truly a "hot ticket" in Houston, an "event," most of those seats will have butts in them. The clients now being talked up in the bars by the corporate suits with their season tickets will want to watch the games and have their drinks in their seats, in my humble opinion. That day can't come soon enough, but it'll come, and come soon if we win. Then watching my Rockets at home in Austin on League Pass and NBAtv and TNT won't seem so freakin' weird. I HATE seeing those empty seats, because those empty seats don't truly reflect the passion Rockets fans have for our team.

20. Hak34

Hak34 Member