1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will "the Terminator" be able to give Cali to Dubya in 2004?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ESource, Oct 2, 2003.

1. ESource

ESource Member

With the prospect of Arnold winning the California governorship becoming likely, will he be able to deliver the electoral votes to G.W. in 2004?! Should the "left-leaners" be worried about Cali becoming Republican all over again? "Red" state or "Blue" state? This IS the BIGGEST electoral prize out there! Afterall, this is the home of Mr. Reagan.....

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Well, do you think that Arnold can solve the State's massive problems in short order, or could this really be a boon for the Democrats?

3. ESource

ESource Member

I haven't been keeping up w/ the specifics in Cali. Just from what I read here and there, etc. Won't the govenorship be up for a vote in 2006? So Arnold has what, approx. two years to fix the current mess?! Very unlikely, imo. Still though, even with ALL the problems that lies before Arnold, it is still GOOD to be the King, right? From the Republican view point, "It's better to be in the game, than out of it." If they can fix the mess, then Cali is prime to turn Republican once again. If they can't, well, it was a Democratic state anyway: "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

4. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Arnold MIGHT win because he is getting some support from (idiotic) democrats who want an "outsider" . Everyday he or his managers describe him as a "social liberal , and fiscal conservative". When a Californian hears "liberal" they don't mind him being a Republican. "Oh, but he is a moderate, he's not really a republican", someone said. If George Bush goes into California calling himself a liberal he'll probably lose all his southern conservative votes to a write in campaign for Patty Buch.

So, the only way Bush is going to appeal to the majority of California voters is if he becomes socially liberal. If he does that he will lose states down south. The religious right is not pragmatic. Look at the Republican senator in Arkansas who got booted for divorcing his wife.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The only way Bush will carry California in 2004 is if they use those electronic voting machines that have no audit trail.

Wait. Aren't they using those machines already????:p

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The same ones that got Davis elected?

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yeah, those machines. Not these over here...those over there!:D

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd like someone to explain to me how conservatives like to always say that they don't care what people like Susan Surandon, Tim Robbins, Natalie Maines, etc. have to say about politics because they're just entertainers, yet, they'll happily elect conservative celebrities to office (Reagan, Bono, possibly Arnold). Who was the last liberal celebrity elected (or run) to office?

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I'd hardly call Bono a conservative...oh, that Bono.

Seriously, most voters (on both sides) vote based on the little letter next to the candidates name, wouldn't you agree?

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I've never voted for any of those people.

The difference for me would be, though, that if Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins were running for office, I wouldn't say their opinions should be dismissed.

I just don't think the opinions of entertainers are any more important than any other person who isn't actively "involved" in politics.

I guess one of the problems with celebrities is that they seem to be standing on the sidelines often hurling insults without being willing to stand in the fire and take the heat by running for office. And because they are famous, their opinions are often given weight far in excess of what it should be given (we do tend to make experts of anyone who happens to be famous, regardless of their actual expertise).

Of course, I respect Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins (and even Martin Sheen or Ed Asner). They are true believers and don't just speak out on politics because it's fashionable, even though I disagree with just about everything they've ever said.