1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets trade for a starting center this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Rockets have a weak middle which has been exposed throughout the season and will continue to be exposed. Neither Hayes nor Andersen are legit starting centers, and Yao Ming will not return this season and his return for next season is uncertain.

About every Rockets trade thread involves a trade to aquire another "big" whether it is Bosh, Foster, Pryzbilla, etc. And it seems like everyone is fairgame to be traded: Scola, Battier, Hayes, Brooks, Landry, Cook, etc.

The question is will the Rockets trade for a starting center this season?

2. number22

number22 Member

Short answer no. plus there's not a plethora of starting centers that can duplicate what yao ming brings to the table every night.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

nope. Maybe a back up Center or a young guy with size but I doubt they go after a starting Center. We Have Yao Ming.

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Scola for Pryzbilla :grin:

5. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

Maybe they'll pursue Gortat in a few weeks, when he's eligible to be traded.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If they go for a splash then Okafer or Camby(Short Term)but realistically Hilton Armstrong might fit in nicely for cheap.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think so, they have David Andersen to be Yao's backup next year, and Hayes is still in the mix....

They may try to upgrade, but I don't think Center will be a primary target unless they can get an expiring like Camby.

DD

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think they will. I think the Rockets are feeling confident in Yao's return next season as well as Hayes/Andersen's ability to consistently produce in back-up minutes.

I'm not saying they will pass on a decent deal but I don't think they are actively looking to make a trade. Nobody is going to defend better than Chuck and nobody is going to stretch the defense better than Andersen. If anything, I could see them picking up someone on the cheap just to act as a big body in spot minutes now and again on nights when Hayes is in foul trouble. That person would not play most nights anyway.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

morey said in the offseason they're not going to trade for a big man just to have one, he specifically said they feel comfortable going with their current guys and if that means going small, so be it.

10. rockets119

rockets119 Member

not needed..
    its not like we're going to contend this year

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I would love a legit 4/5 with size brought in who could back up the 4/5 in the future. I'm sure no team is looking to acquire one like this; or has one to just offer up. Regardless, that and a legit 2 with deadly 3 pt accuracy.

But, who says all the guys are fair-game to be swapped? IMHO the quintessential swap 'we're all waiting for' (or at least anticipating will occur) will start with McG. Anyone else will be part of a balancing of the deal.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hilton Armstrong might be overpaid at any salary.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Crazy things happen in February. Wait and see. You never know what other teams are thinking when that deadline starts approaching.

14. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

DD: A back-up to YAO has been an ongoing problem ever since he got here. Deke was a solution sometimes and sometimes not, in any event they rode that horse much too long and we are paying for it now. IMO we have lost games, cedings and playoffs too many times over the last five years for lack of a quality backup center. A real big is one of the hardest positions to fill in the NBA and we never really tried.

We have back-court and wings backed up to the middle of next week but never center. WHY?

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

So, even some of the Yao haters are starting to miss Yao.

Laff @ everyone who thought we played better without Yao.

Without Yao = more or less a .500 team
    With Yao = 2nd round playoff team

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

No legit shotblocker = 25th best field goal% allowed. They need a rim protector in the worst way.

17. redao

redao Member

lol.
    it is more like:

with $17M spent on nothing= more or less a .500 team
    With $17M spent on something = 2nd round playoff team

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because you don't plan championship runs based on who your back up is to your franchise player. Lots of teams dont have solid back ups for their main players, ours just happen to be at center. And it definitely is a hard position to fill, so if it's hard enough to fill it with a starting center, it's going to be more difficult to get a really good back up. Most "good" back ups end up going elsewhere to start, for more money. I dont think morey is against upgrading the spot, but the difference between what we have now and a good back up may be a rotational player, who's absence in the long run may cost us.

19. Ketchup&Mustard

Not a chance....

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

What are you trying to say? $17 mil well spent IMO. Plus, we all know its not straight up $17, since Yao earns back a part of his salary for Les, and gets shoe deals for his fellow teammates.