1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Rockets make an offer to Llull?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cod, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd be surprised if we keep 3 PGs after the trading deadline and I'll be shocked if the Rocks don't make any moves at the deadline. I do not think the Rockets can keep both Lowry and Dragic, the latter is going to cost some money.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Your right for most teams, but Real and Barca are ACB teams and I believe they might not be subject to those rules.

Lets say you are right though and they can only spend 500K. The buyout terms will probably be around 1.5 to 2 million, of which 500K the Rockets will be able to spend. Meaning, Llull will have to eat most of the cost on his own. Somehow, someway the Rockets will end up having to make sure they are paying him, and Llull isnt paying his own way out of Spain.

This is why I think Llull will stay over there for one or two more years. If he stays one more season then I believe he is no longer bound to the rookie salary scale, and can make up for his salary loss with Real Madrid with a larger offer with the Rockets.

However, if Real Madrid is not subject to the 500K rule then a buyout looks much more likely.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Obviously it would only make sense if we trade Dragic or Lowry, but the reason I doubt it is because it just doesn't happen. Bringing a foreign PG over that has never played in the NBA, and trying to acclimate him in with a month or 2 left in the season would probably be difficult.

It is also likely that there are contract reasons behind not bringing him over this season. I think we'd have to use existing cap space to sign him, but am not certain.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Llull was a 2nd round pick, so there is no rookie wage scale.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Another translation

Nothing that says the Rockets will make an offer but if Dragic is traded and Flynn released I would think that is a no brainer.

I watched two of his games from start to finish and he can definitely play the point. He forces the issue when his team needs him to, creating for himself and his teammates and is a better shooter than Rubio and more consistent as a shooter than Lowry albeit sometimes Lowry is amazing. This kid is our LIN not TWill. Of course Lin could have been our Lin.

6. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Yea, i agree. My guess is they're just making small talks about the possibility of him coming over the summer.

7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think you mean Dragic, the expiring contract.

8. aristophanes34

Who isn't searching for a fellow with "good looks" and a "good wrist?" They need to bring him over, like, today. He would be a great team asset. He could really help ease tensions on these brutal NBA roadies.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

ithe rule is still 500k, and there are no exceptions. That rule is part of the NBA CBA so it makes no provisions as to which foreign teams it applies to.

#29 Rockets2K, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. da_juice

da_juice Member

My guess is we trade Dragic this year for a low draft pick and maybe an older, expiring guard to fill his spot in the rotation until the season ends. Then we let Flynn walk and bring in Llull.

The plan all along was probably to trade Dragic for a frontcourt player or draft pick, have Flynn take over Dragic's minutes, then let Flynn walk and bring over Llull.

However, as we all know- Flynn sucks and can't be trusted.

11. Spanish_Rox_Fan

An offer? Where?

According to his words, He's very unlikely to land Houston this summer. For the time being, I wouldn't speculate about Dragic's situation.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

To put things into perspective.

Llull is only a year older than Lin, if Lin has a ton of room to grow, so does Llull.

13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

We need to get Gasol before Llull even considers coming here to Houston. Only then will Spanish television host "La Decision" with Sergio Llull in the LeBron role.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Who would yall compare llull 2 in the NBA and will he have a Rubio effect on our team or is he another Carlos arroyo

1 person likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Actually, a three amigos senario could work out nicely with Gasol, Scola, and Llull.

I'd like to use our cap-room to sign a future all-star like Ilyasova or Batum, and possibly re-sign Dragic.

What do you think of this 12-man rotation? This team can go places:

Gasol/Dalembert
    Scola/Patterson/Morris
    Batum/Parsons(or Bud)/Morris
    Lee/Llull
    Lowry/Dragic

+this year's draft pick

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

So how exactly do you suppose we aquire Gasol? A trade of Martin and the 09' failures? Not going to happen, we will have to trade more than that.

17. cod

cod Member

That's Hoopsworld, not Hoopshype. Hoopshype is just a news portal, ie a free ESPN insider. It's run by Spanish guys so I assumed their take on it was accurate.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Looks like this guy can play 1 or 2 with respect to offense and defense. It might be better if we trade Kmart. You will then have a very solid offensive/defensive backcourt of Lee, Dragic, Yool and KLow- all interchangeable. Add playerX from the Martin trade, Moti, Patterson, Morris and Parsons... a very solid YOUNG team that can defend and score points.

19. valorita

valorita Member

I love palindromes.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sign Jermaine Taylor or a Manny Harris as a possible 3rd stringer.