1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Chinese fans still be loyal to the Rockets if we trade Lin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hikanoo49, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
?

Would Chinese fans still follow the Rockets if Lin is traded?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2013.
  1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Maybe so

26 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. I dont know

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. MD_in_Training

I'm not sure if Lin was too much of a draw for the mainland Chinese population. They were amused and mildly supportive of his success, but it was nothing like what Yao had.

2. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Lin is extremely popular in China and Taiwan. I've witnessed it, they'll go where he goes. He even has a NY following in Chinatown.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I can relate to Hakeem and he's from Africa. The fact he looks similar to me helps in a connection being African American. People view us simply as black men. Of course I'm only 5'7" but you get the point.

4. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

will we lose argentina fans after delfino left? white fans? black fans? it doesn't matter. stop bringing race into this

5. Mr. Space City

i don't care about bandwagon fans.

6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

What roslolian mentioned is correct and has been said by other posters and myself a few times. Lin's impact in China is more marginal than people believe... a cultural + marketing phenomenon.

1. A huge amount of Chinese fans (in China) are loyal to the Rockets due to the Yao era and even somewhat back to the Hakeem era. A lot of them still follow McGrady. It wouldn't matter if Lin was on the roster. This interest is on the decline.

2. Chinese are exposed to the NBA through a handful of players. Marketing and game broadcasts in China focus heavily around only a handful of top player personalities (Kobe, Lebron, Rose, etc.) and not focused on teams or a larger spectrum of players like in the US. Lin is not one of them.

3. He's not mainland Chinese; he's an ABC. That is a big difference in a lot of the populace's eyes. ABCs are often mentioned with a negative connotation in China. This is an added hurdle to market him in China compared to a Yao or Yi JianLian. It'd be different if he was a guy born in China who then moved over to the US.

In summary, the Lin fan base and impact in China is overstated. It's a mistake to look at cases of Chinese outside of China and generalize that that is what is happening in China. There are major cultural differences. The density of his fan base remains to be in the US and other parts of Asia.

#26 crossover, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

So Kobe s Chinese? All this time I thought he's Japanese!

8. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Some would.

There is a ethnocentric "historical" bias on these boards that didn't see the memo on the growth of the Chinese Basketball League and how the NBA had lost its appeal over the years since Yao retired.

You could almost guarantee a majority leaving though.

You would have a few diehards but most would go back to watching the Chinese League and some would follow Jeremy Lin. Chinese advertisers would withdraw as quickly as they left NYK.

Its about eyeballs and reaching their target markets. No holdovers holding mugs of cider, reminiscing about the past with old friends.

9. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Italian!

10. rblaria

rblaria Member

lol

I'm Korean and a huge Lin fan, but that never happened. There are always these stupid rumors that Korean people claim someone, whom vast majority of Korean people don't even know about, is Korean. I don't exactly know who spread those rumors(I can only suspect) but I can't recall one single rumor that was true.

11. MMBB

MMBB Contributing Member

If you could read the Lin's Chinese fan forum in mainland (baidu ba), you would know that the answer is a solid NO. They will follow Lin to wherever he goes. The thing is that lots of Yao fans stopped supporting Rockets after he retired, Jeremy Lin is the one who brought some of them back. Before Lin came to Rockets, Rockets were behind many teams in popularity in mainland China, rockets will be in the same situation if Lin leaves Rockets now, with Howard or not.

12. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

you may not but the Asia angle is something that Morey has confirmed of pitching to attract top free agents

if the Lin is gone, we lose half of our asia muscle and the other NBA families will be earning alot of money from Asia. Sure ticket sales and concessions is great now but Asia and global marketing is the future. You make the deal Sonny :p

What movie is that from? sorta from?

hehe

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Dwight already has connections to Chinese fans through Adidas.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7aepXUjvQb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

LMAO!!!

15. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

fck, misvoted. Meant to poll yes.

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

Believe it or not, many Chinese Rocket fans were pissed off when we signed Lin. lol

17. Roxs-Redemption

I'm an Australian-Chinese Rockets fan, as much as I love Lin. I would still be loyal to the Rockets organization.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have always thought that the Japanese had a beef with Kobe.

3 people like this.
  19. gezza

gezza Member

I'm an ABC - Australian, not American :)

Although I've been a huge NBA fan since the early 90's, I never truly rooted for any particular team. I have to admit that I started following the Rockets purely because of Yao Ming.

However, I made the successful transition from Yao fan to Rockets fan somewhere along the way and will now remain loyal to Houston regardless of how many other asians enter the league. I have to admit that as an asian it was exciting to get Linsanity on board but if he's dealt away, I'm not goin with him.

I reckon a lot of fans are probably in a similar situation to me; adopted Houston because of Yao/Lin but will convert to Rockets Red after becoming more familiar with the organisation and fan base.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I worked over in Seoul last year and found they really didn't care about basketball. They are more baseball fans.